Changed 6bta Long Blocks- Now What?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JC

Changed 6bta Long Blocks- Now What?

Post by JC »

Hello Guys. I have a question for you. We have had a Bertram 31 ("White Marlin") in El Salvador for a little over 10 years. Last year we decided to swap the Cummins 6bta 250hp engines. After a bit of research we decided not to upgrade to higher HP (Yanmars or C Series Cummins) but kept the 250 6bt's.

We thought we would save money by getting just the long blocks and just using all the old peripherals but looking behind we should have just purchased new engines with all peripherals.

The engines have about 200 hours on them now but we have decided that we will start changing all the peripherals (we already changed the injection pumps). We will purchase new turbos and now the question I have for you is it better to purchase brand new twin Disc 502 transmissions or should we just buy the rebuild kits and have them overhauled?

Thanks for your input...
JC
JC

Re: Changed 6bta Long Blocks- Now What?

Post by JC »

Any help with a good place to purchase the MG502 transmissions new would be greatly apppreciated. Thank you,
JC
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://mackboring.com/powertrain/marine ... smissions/

Not sure if they ship outside the US but you could try Mack Boring. If they can not help you out they can probably send you to someone who can.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://mackboring.com/powertrain/marine ... smissions/

Not sure if they ship outside the US but you could try Mack Boring. If they can not help you out they can probably send you to someone who can.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

JC,
I can’t help you with any info on the marine gear, but just wanted to chime in and say it’s good to hear info on the White Marlin.
You guys bought that boat local to me in Louisiana and I know the 2 previous owners..... I also have a painting of that boat at my fishing camp, painted by local artist Fred Marks. Good luck on your upgrades and always great to hear about learning experiences from others.

Ray
1971 Sportfish 314 49 1103
1994 B28 BERF2720L394
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

JC I checked with the vendor I purchased my ZF transmission from locally and he doesn’t rep twin disk. Did some looking and the Houston twin disk rep is Sewart Supply.

http://www.sewartsupply.com

I don’t know anything at all about them, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to have another vendor to contact. Good luck.
JC

Post by JC »

I appreciate all your help. I finally decided to get the overhaul kits for both transmissions including the clutch plates , seals and bearings. The transmissions have actually been great just one starting to loose oil thru seal (coupling) and I feel they have been thru enough and can fail any day.

Nice to hear some history Ray!! The boat is doing great. Weve been fishing a tournament here for 8 years now got 2 first places on marlin release division, 3rd twice and just finished this past november 3rd in salifish division and 1st in funfish. I love the boat wouldnt consider changing!! I would love to see a picture of the painting please send to jcmarlinsal@gmail.com if you can. I wanted to post an image of how white marlin looks today but cant figure out how to do it. LOL

Thanks all.
JC
Carl

Post by Carl »

Pic a 3rd party host to store pictures...such as PhotoBucket. The free startup works fine.

Follow directions on how to upload picture...simple as follow path on your computer to picture you want, click it, accept upload and its on the host si

Then find your picture on the host site, Photobucket its called Library, all your pics display, click that picture and you will get several format options. Choose Share on the right and click, find the one for bulletin boards and forums / img. When you slide your curser over it a link to copy comes up.

Copy the link and past in your response box and your done...at last.

Its cumbersome, but not too bad.
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

JC,
Just emailed you a picture of the painting. Not the best pic I know.....lighting, reflection etc....may be able to get a better one in daylight. Good luck on your rebuilds.

Ray
1994 B28 BERF2720L394
JC

Post by JC »

Thanks for the Picture Ray. If you have old photos please send.
I would really like to make a history book of that Boat. So many Joys....

Thanks for the tip on how to post pictures... here are a couple... dont know why it cuts the picture... if you open in a new tab it shows complete...

This is an old pic of White Marlin before we painted the Hull Blue...

Newer Pics...

Have a great day. last question.... a good source for new turbos?

JC
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Boat looks great.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Very nice. I’ll see if I can round up some more “ before” pics.

Ray
1994 B28 BERF2720L394
Carl

Post by Carl »

Wow...that boat looks sharp!

Better then any boat coming off the line today.
JC

Post by JC »

Thanks Guys. Its been a bit challenging to keep up with the boat here in El Salvador but we really love our boat. Its been loyal to us Allways. Never want to let it go. LOL

JC
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

JC: Change the resolution size of the photo. I had to change to 600X? to get the photo’s to not clip. Set the first number to 600 and the second number will fill in on its own. Most photo websites (Igmur, Photobucket) you can adjust in the photo “edit” part. I was having this happen to me and I changed (edited size) the photos that were oversized in Igmur and it automatically fixed the linked photos at Bertram31. You shouldn’t have to repost them. Boat looks great!!!!
Ernie Sandoval
86’ 31 Bertram-BERGAG23D686