Autopilot on B31?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Amberjack

Autopilot on B31?

Post by Amberjack »

I've been pondering my winter project (either painting the bulkheads white or installing an autopilot) and turn to the forum for advice. I know, we're talking $500 vs $5,000 difference between the two projects but I'm not going to be buried with my 401K so I might as well spend it. An autopilot would allow me to remove the lower steering station along with the hydraulic lines running down to it from the overhead, and open up the console and view (I still have the windows). Also make it easier to get out of bed in the morning without banging my head on the wheel.

Bulkhead treatment has been well covered recently so I feel up to speed on that topic but autopilots not so much. If anyone has experience installing on one their Bertram I'd appreciate some feedback. My project would involve removing the inside steering station and replacing with an autopilot remote while retaining the lower engine controls so we could still run the boat during lightning storms, downpours etc.

What else would be involved? Will I have to replace the original B31 rudders and upgrade the original rudder shelf as well? Would an autopilot work with the original rudders?

Are there any autopilots particularly suited to our boats?

And finally what costs are people experiencing?
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Carl

Re: Autopilot on B31?

Post by Carl »

I installed a Si-Tex about 10 years ago.

Pump gets T-ed into the hydraulic lines.
Rudder feedback mechanism gets clamped onto the rudder shaft.
Find a place to mount the unit and the Fluxgate compass (bathroom vanity for both)
Install powerhead...in my case a removable remote that connects like a phone charger in a cars lighter.

I did not connect with GPS or any electronics as my main reason for it was trolling alone or with wife who hates steering when trolling.

To initiate its a matter of taking a heading then a 360 degree turn in a set period of time and that was that.
Took about a day...most of the time was wasted figuring where to put the stuff.

Running offshore its nice so as you don't have something to head for so you stay on course.
For trolling its real nice to keep boat running straight when playing in cockpit, checking lines, pulling them up, letting them out etc.

Down side for trolling is if its gusting or a few bigger waves break up the normal pattern. The unit learns how to correct going off course...but a heavy gust out of the ordinary needs a bigger correction and by the time it figures that out your too far off course for it to get you back and she shuts down. Theres work arounds and that only when its a bit snotty.

Overall I like.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I have a Garmin autopilot. I still have two helm stations.
I did not install it myself. But Carl's explanation is similar to the equipment I have below deck.
I have learned to adjust it and calibrate it, etc. Not rocket science.
It is a piece of gear I am grateful to have. When I run 10-12 hours straight across the Bahama bank, it's nice to have all the waypoints logged in. This allows me to watch where were are going, check the compass, charts, have lunch hands free at the helm. The main benefit for me is it reduces fatigue. Running for 12 hours holding the wheel can be tiring.
Garmin has a free software package called HomePort. With that I create my routes ahead of time and import the trip into my chartplotter. The software will also estimate how much fuel you will have and how much time it will take between each waypoint, as well as what time you expect to reach your destination. I like working on these routes ahead of the trip so I can then see what tide level it will be at certain waypoints during the day, as some spots are shallow where I travel and it's a plus to hit that area at a higher tide.
For trolling offshore it's nice if there are only two of us onboard and we are in a school of dolphin I can put it on "heading hold", reduce speed to a crawl and help my son fish below temporarily without the boat going in circles.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

I single hand our '31 all the time, and could not be without an auto-pilot. You have two groups of issues to consider - installation and operation.

If you already have hydraulic steering, any unit rated for the size system you have will work, and be fairly easy to install. Rudder position indicator sensor should not be an issue - if it is, a small shelf could easily be mounted. Rudder size is not affected - if you have original rudders and need both engines running to turn the boat, this will work the same - might work the unit a bit harder as rudders might have to be thrown either side farther to create a turn, but the auto-pilot only tells the hydraulic fluid to move as much as a wheel does by your hand. The electronic compass needs to go somewhere that it will be least affected by electronics/metal - ours is mounted in the bilge on the cross-member just forward of the original water tank mid-ships. Tap into the hydraulic lines anywhere you want, power it up, and you're in business. Tying it into your other electronics/network is not necessary but nice for it to follow routes on it's own.

Now the operation. I have a couple rules that I follow 100% of the time. Keeping a sharp lookout has got to take the same priority as if you had your hand on the wheel watching the compass or landmark. Many careless crashes occur between private and commercial boats and either other boats, ATONs, breakwaters etc. because of lax operators lulled into doing something else other than paying attention while their auto-pilots kept the boat going straight. If solo and under auto-pilot, never leave in gear if leaving the control area or cabin - no walking around the cockpit, no going forward etc. - if you go over, the boat will keep going straight until it hits something or runs out of fuel.

Used properly, it is one of the best pieces of equipment on board. Best of luck.
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

This is sounding easier than I thought, in fact a lot easier than painting the bulkheads. Hope I didn't just jinx the project if I proceed with it.

The auto would be used on long hauls at speed mostly to improve the lookout for drift which is prevalent up here. In fact its not uncommon to still see log booms under tow, something that vanished in the lower 48 three or four decades ago. Its hard to keep a good lookout when constantly checking the compass heading--result: thumps on the hull.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Carl

Post by Carl »

Amberjack wrote:This is sounding easier than I thought, in fact a lot easier than painting the bulkheads. Hope I didn't just jinx the project if I proceed with it.

The auto would be used on long hauls at speed mostly to improve the lookout for drift which is prevalent up here. In fact its not uncommon to still see log booms under tow, something that vanished in the lower 48 three or four decades ago. Its hard to keep a good lookout when constantly checking the compass heading--result: thumps on the hull.
Down side of turning wheel to avoid debris is until you get used to it, the helm goes back on course....sometimes before you want that to happen.

If you have nylon hydraulic lines its real easy. I had heavy reinforced rubber hydraulic hose that I removed and switched over first.

Still not so bad...but I made loose connections as I was routing and rerouting, then would go back and tighten when happy.
I was doing this under a winter tarp on a hot day. I was pretty much done when a bud came over and we got to talking for a bit...decided to clean up before moving forward, vacuumed, washed everything. I then went back to work with electrical connections. Huh... I was done, that was pretty EZ I'm thinking to myself, lets give this thing a whirl. Put fluid in, purged lower station, purged upper station then for the autopilot...hit the button, pump went off, PoP - - a line went flailing all around squirting hydraulic fluid everywhere. Noting quite like standing under a steamy, hot blue tarp drenched in hydraulic fluid with drops of it raining down on my head...the open bilge...what a mess.
So...one word of caution...make sure you tighten connections before you start that pump up...and never ever say, that was EZ.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

On the Garmin system you can turn out of the autopilot route, I believe it's called "shadow" feature. You can still hold the wheel as long as you like and then it will go back to the route.
You will want to keep some hydraulic steering fittings and tube on hand; just like any other critical parts on your boat.
Ask me why? http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12366
Steve Marinak
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

First round researching autopilots and the two basic questions are:

1. Navigation features. Primarily determined by boat use. Mine will be mostly long legs at cruising speed so I can figure this out.

2. Pump capacity. I'd prefer to stick with Garmin since that's what Amberjack already has but the Garmin website isn't very helpful about the topic. It looks as though Bertram 31's probably need a 1.2L pump. Can anybody help me out with this or tell me the cylinder capacity on our single cylinder systems?
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I'm out of town this week, but I can look at mine when I get back if no one else has chimed in by then.
Steve Marinak