1968 Hatteras 34 project

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

micky

Re: 1968 Hatteras 34 project

Post by micky »

Yes, they were pressure tested and we found 3-4 small leaks on each tank, specially on the corners we re-welded those areas and re-tested again.
micky

Post by micky »

Today sanded and painted the tanks with epoxy primer. Also installed all the fittings.

Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Good stuff Mickey I made a tank for my dads 31 and when I pressure tested it I found a leak. Looking good!
Jason
micky

Post by micky »

Soooooooo!!!!! While I'm here......

Started the day grinding 3" around the perimeter where the removed floor sections will be attached back in place, also grinded the same 3" on the 2 halves of the removed floor. As I had to cut all the wood cross members under the floor and it will be replaced by 3" x "3 x 1/4" aluminum angle, started to remove the cross members from the removed floor sections. I had drilled and injected urethane foam on the floor when I bought the boat because the floor was soft, so now was the moment to repair the floor properly. removed all the disintegrated and mushy balsa core along with the water saturated foam. Grinded everything and now its ready for the new foam core. Thankfully all the area of the floor that hasn't been cut is in good condition except 3 small areas that I will repair with foam. Lastly the guy went to install the transom wrap but didn't take into account the 2 transom hawse pipes and needs to redo it.

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Micky

Better to get the deck and tanks out of the way now. I like the transom. Now that is different.

But you gave me an idea for the appropriate name for our projects. Instead of From Scratch, someone should name a boat A Lot of Scratch.

Keep pushing, you are almost there. She is looking good.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
micky

Post by micky »

Tanks are in place, all hoses connected, full of diesel and no leaks!! Also installed a fuel pump in between both racors and connected it to the tank equalizer system I made :-D :-D. This will become handy to fill the fuel filters. Lastly for today, I was able to make the frame for the back deck using 3" x 3" x 1/4" aluminum angle and 1/4" x 6" flat bar around the edges.

Plan for tomorrow is to install the trim tab pump, install 2 aluminum angles behind the tanks, and put the foam core on the the deck's fiberglass skin.

micky

Post by micky »

Installed and wired the trim tab pump and both fuel senders. Also cut the aluminum angles that go behind the tanks and ordered the screws for them. Lastly cut, shaped and installed the foam core on the floor's skin. On one of them put a few batteries on top and on the other one put the band saw on top of it. Tomorrow afternoon I'll put the first layer of 1708.

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

What are you going to do when this project is done?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
micky

Post by micky »

Get bored floating at the beach.
Carl

Post by Carl »

You'll have plenty of friends coming to help you with that. You know...all the friends that are way too busy now.
micky

Post by micky »

Yup...
micky

Post by micky »

Foam core has been glassed in place. Tomorrow I'll throw it in the boat and see how level it really is.

micky

Post by micky »

I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news first.

Had to scrap the floor, as you will see in the first pic the blue arrow, that half of the floor has a big hump, don't know why but it looked terrible. The other half was acceptable but I wasn't going to replace just half the floor so scraped it. Bought two 3/4" marine plywood and covered the edges and back (below) part with resin to seal it. Then because the gap I had between the balsa and upper and lower fiberglass layers was 1 1/8" and the plywood was 3/4" I had to place another 1/4" aluminum angle on top of the flat bar that surrounds the perimeter and put another aluminum angle on top of the ones I had already installed going from level (on the outside edges) to raised in the middle as that was the original angle of the floor. Now the floor fits perfectly. Still need to cut out the hatches gutters from the old floor and install it on the new one. Plan for tomorrow morning is to install the marine plywood, cut the 2 layers of 1708 and lay them. Then on Friday work with the gutters.

micky

Post by micky »

Went to the boat today and installed the deck. After screwing it down, I prepared some cabosil and filled in the edges. Cut the hatches gutters from the old deck and cleaned them up . Plan for tomorrow if it doesn't rain is to install the gutters back on the new floor and put the 2 layers of 1708 n the deck.

micky

Post by micky »

Started today at 8am by cutting the hole where the gutters go. After it was cut, used the router to get the plywood from 3/4" to around 3/8" so that the lip of the gutter would sit flush with the plywood, mixed some cabosil and glued the gutters to the deck. An hour later sanded everything and layed the 2 layers of 1708. In the afternoon, removed all the excess fiberglass around the edges. Plan for tomorrow is to sand and fair everything and join the gutters where they were cut.

Carl

Post by Carl »

Micky - - Having done “some” of this work….your making it look too easy.

If someone hasn’t done this kind of work…you have no idea how these seemingly simple, “I’ll just toss together a floor, blend in gutters and move on” are fricken tough, all day affairs.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Carl wrote: Nov 27th, '21, 00:11 If someone hasn’t done this kind of work…you have no idea how these seemingly simple, “I’ll just toss together a floor, blend in gutters and move on” are fricken tough, all day affairs.
Well- if you want the deck to be flat and the hatches to be square and seal..... plan for a couple of days after a couple of days of practice. This doesn't count the day to put the pictures together and write the post... I would also add some time to order a new camera (phone?) because of the epoxy I got on the last one taking pictures while doing the work....

Thanks for sharing all this with us.
Sincerely,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
micky

Post by micky »

Spent the day yesterday "fairing" the floor using west system 410 and 407. I've used about 7 gallons of resin fairing the damn floor. Applied the first coat yesterday and got it about 75% straight on both sides (cream color) in the center I used the 407 as I ran out of 410. Sanded everything down today and checked the straightness with a 6' level and both sides were almost perfect with the exception of 4 spots. Today I got more 410 and gave everything a second hand so the sides should be done when sanded, then I have to work with the middle. The issue with this floor is that it has 2 angles, a slope from the bulkhead back and another slope from the center to port and stbd. As soon as both sides are ready, then I can use a straight edge from the front hatch to the back hatch.

After sanding this morning.

After applying the second hand
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Micky,

Sorry to bother you, but if you ever encounter a fuel problem you cannot inspect either the outside, but more so, the inside of your tanks.

I ran into a mucous (or however it is called) issue, whereby there was a gooey substance all over inside my tank and I HAD to create inspection holes over every baffled sub-compartment so as to be able to fit my arm and kill myself in cleaning it, with rags and acetone.
I made 3 new, (plus an existing one in the rear) SS oval inspection holes with the metal ring inside the tank bearing numerous bolts that come through the tank (...) and a custom rubber gasket on the outside plus the top cover. Every few years I open them and check the condition of the tank, plus the diesel quality. It is not a frequent problem, but if it ever occurs diesel polishing alone is not enough to alleviate the problem. Thanks.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
micky

Post by micky »

Deck is almost done. Just have a few scratches on the stbd side, a few more on the port side and need to level the center. I'm hoping to do it tomorrow afternoon so that on friday I can sand whatever is left and prime and paint during the weekend.

micky

Post by micky »

Hopefully this is the last coat of fairing compound. I'll sand it tomorrow if it doesn't rain, tape around the floor and prime it. This time I'll do it with a roller. I'm not covering the whole boat.

micky

Post by micky »

Finally she's ready for primer after 8 long hours of sanding today.. If tomorrow doesn't rain I'll prime it in the afternoon.

micky

Post by micky »

Name and front black wrap have been installed.

Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Looking good!! Couple set backs but close now!!
Jason
Carl

Post by Carl »

WoW - - You transformed that boat's design into a great-looking modern design.

I had to include great looking as some of these modern boats are ugly as sin.

Great job!
micky

Post by micky »

Finally I was able to prime the deck with the 545. Gave it 4 coats as I had already mixed it. It has been raining non-stop all week and finally had a break today.
Also took a picture of the boat from the entrance of my dads shop and it looks sick with the black wrap.
If it doesn't rain tomorrow morning I'll sand the primer with 220, put 2 coats of paint and put the sand on top.

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Micky

Almost there. Looking good. I assume you are rolling the deck. If you are spraying, try shooting the grit through the gun, it really lays the non skid down nicely.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
micky

Post by micky »

Haven't been able to paint the floor as its been raining non-stop for the last 2 weeks. I did install a second switch panel on the lower helm yesterday as I ran out of switches. Also the fiberglass cloth on the left side of one of the gunnel supports never dried (it was installed almost 2 years ago) and it came completely loose from the coosa last week so ripped it all out yesterday, dried everything with the heat gun and layed 2 layers of 1708. It dried just before the rain. Today I faired and primed it.

micky

Post by micky »

Finally a sunny day. I applied 2 coats of Awlgrip and then the sand. If tomorrow doesn't rain, I'll vacuum the excess sand and apply 2 coats of paint.

Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Nice at least it’s warm!! Looking good!
Jason
micky

Post by micky »

Another sunny day so painted the deck. Just need 1 more day like this to finish the boat completely!!

micky

Post by micky »

I had the sunny day that I needed to finish and was able to finish all the painting. Painted the gutters and last week's repair. Tomorrow I'll install the bridge ladder, install the gutter's drain and clean the interior completely and she's done. Now to save some money for the insurance and travel to the marina. :-D :-D :-D

Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Nice recovery! Looking good I was just talking about a survey when I finish so I can find insurance as well.
Jason
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Nice work. She looks great. NOw you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
micky

Post by micky »

I was able to clean the whole interior, installed the bridge ladder, I had bought 3 plastic boxes to put stuff in them (they go in between the fuel tanks) so also filled them up and put them in place and painted the deck hatches. They were painted with awlcraft 2000 but because now I used Awlgrip, I sanded and re-sprayed them. 98% done.

One or 2 more days doing minor stuff and then its bottom paint and done.

kross1

Post by kross1 »

Looks great. Love the progress.
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
Carl

Post by Carl »

micky wrote: Dec 25th, '21, 14:08 One or 2 more days doing minor stuff and then its bottom paint and done.

…and done.

I bet that was really nice to say…a long road for sure, but wow, looks a totally new boat inside and out.
micky

Post by micky »

Went to the boat today and started to organize everything. Made the toolbox, engine spare parts, spare bolts, screws, oil, etc. I'm not used to not having space to put stuff away. Before this boat my dad had a Hatteras 43 DC so I had more space than anything. Also cut the 4 plates on the dinghy's cradle legs, they made that cradle without giving the 4 legs the correct angle so cut 2 of them, tacked 2 new plates, placed it in its spot, adjusted the angles and tig welded them. Need to order 2 more of those round plates.

micky

Post by micky »

I thought that I had finished the boat yesterday when I painted under the gunnel on the cockpit but the boat decided to throw me a curve ball on the 1st of the year. When I went into the boat today I noticed an area that the paint had bubbled and out came the DA.

Sanded the area until I reached the original gelcoat. Then applied the filler. Tomorrow I'll buy 1 qt of primer as I ran out of it last week.

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Sorry to hear that. But chin up almost there.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

You're just looking for excuses to not be finished. It's a boat. Throw it in the water.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
micky

Post by micky »

Went to prime the area today and saw 2 small pores coming through the filler so opened the pores up with the dremel, it had a brown substance inside, cleaned the 2 small holes with acetone and filled the 2 holes. Sanded everything and applied 2 coats of 545, rolled them because I didn't want to cover half a boat for this small area. Will do it when I'll paint it.

micky

Post by micky »

Last edited by micky on Aug 6th, '22, 07:01, edited 1 time in total.
micky

Post by micky »

I was able to paint today the area that the paint bubbled up last week. It came out great.

PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Looking good
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
micky

Post by micky »

Another damn setback regarding the old paint on this boat. I'm already getting tired of the boat and it hasn't hit the water yet. Had the same thing happen to one of the corners of the bridge, the paint had small bubbles so started sanding them with the DA and I couldn't feather the edges, until one of the edges of the paint started lifting up and the rest is history, the whole bridge deck paint started coming off. What I can think is that the person who painted the floor who knows how long ago never sanded or primed the floor because the pieces of paint had my paint, the 545 and the old paint.

90% of the paint I was able to rip it out with my hands and the other 10% (anywhere that I had used Awlfair) I had to sand it. I stayed until 8 pm sanding the deck. Tomorrow I'll fill out a few scratches and will leave it primed.

When I sanded the small bubbles that started this ordeal, the oozed some black liquid, can it be a chemical reaction between the Awlgrip products and the old paint??

Where all started:

Rest of the deck:

micky

Post by micky »

Here you can see the diamond pattern under the pieces of paint from yesterday, also you can see the layers of my paint, my 545 and the old paint.

When I got to the boat this morning this is what I found, all the old paint was oozing out so got the DA with the 60 grit and sanded it until I reached the fiberglass, then faired it and then primed the whole floor.

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mickey

Sorry to hear about the small set backs. Frustrating.

Don't let it get you down. You put in too much work and you are almost there.

Do you suspect tha t there are other areas that the painter did not properly prep?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Micky-

Paint prep depending on the prior painter prepping their job correctly. You sound as lucky as me...

It's a huge reason I haven't tackled painting my boat.
A- quick prep and paint over hoping for a 50' quality job.
B- full prep and deal with all the problems I know were painted over.

Even the few items I have unpainted ( prior owner painted everything) have uncovered problems.

Your close...hopefully those are the only areas prior person "fixed".
micky

Post by micky »

The paint that lifted up was the old paint. My paint is well adhered to my primer and no the old paint. So someone in the past that painted the boat didn't sand or primed.