Fishing Cabo in February

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Fishing Cabo in February

Post by PeterPalmieri »

We are looking to book a flight to Cabo in February for winter break, pending our Southwest companion pass and deals come through in the next week.

The thought is to stay at the all inclusive Hyatt Ziva for 3 nights and spend two days fishing, 5 or 6 days total. Stay in a cheaper hotel those days since we wouldn't be using the the resort amenities. Also unsure of what is in season and a good charter that will be friendly to 6 and 9 year old boys, preferably a 31 Bertram.

I know a number of you guys have been down there, would you recommend this hotel and charter or recommend others? Any additional info from the guys who've been there done that would be helpful we didn't book anything yet.

Hotels
https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/mexic ... abos/sjdif

Charters with 31s in the fleet
http://www.renegademikesportfishing.com ... ?page=home
http://www.flyhooker.com/boat-descripti ... t-roberto/

What's biting, is this accurate?
https://www.cabo-fishing.net/fishing-calendar.htm
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
John Nardi

Re: Fishing Cabo in February

Post by John Nardi »

Peter call me at 954 290 6783...I can help you get Cummins refurbs if you like, but would also like to chat and compare notes on 502s...Thanks, John Nardi
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I’ll give you a shout in the morning if that’s ok
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Peter,
Redrum has a 31 and they are kid friendly. The captain of that boat is Omar and he is a fish hawk! www.redrumcabo.com

They also have a 33'

I think its $650 a day all inclusive.

Renegade Mike is great! He is a board member and even though he doesn't post much he is a lover of Bertrams.

There are really nice clean cheap condos right above the charter boat piers listed on VRBO and they go cheap. Its call Marina Cabo Plaza. I know he has a street side for $380 a week and I think the marina side are $530.

Give me a day or so to scrape up some more info for you.

February is good for Mahi Mahi or as the taco benders call it Dorado. Tuna can be hot and cold as are the Marlin that time of year.

Stay tuned
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thanks Mark I knew you’d have plenty of info
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Booked our flight February 17 to the 22nd, have to look at hotels and charters over the weekend
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Peter please send an e-mail to my friend Mike Molakides. His email is; cabomike@pacbell.net

Reference our conversation and he will take great care of you. The location is as good as it gets for charter dock adjacent accommodations. The rooms are actually very nice with a little kitchenette and dining table and they are clean with a great view if you choose marina side and only a few steps from the docks. Just below you one floor is the main convenience store by the name of the "Early Bird" where you can get a lava hot cup of mud and breakfast burrito to get your day started. Chattering diesels will act as your alarm clock as the line up of the Cabo fleet is right below your patio. Dam i'm going to have to get a cold shower.....

A few steps along the marina walk in either direction gets you to a watering hole with some local grub and a couple of really good restaurants are close as well.

Redrum's office is directly below your room as is Pisces docks renegade Mike's dock etc etc. By the way Redrum now has a bar in the front of their building called "The Porch" and its always busy with fisherman sharing truth and fact.

If you're looking for any other input I can blather on all day about this kind of stuff.

Have a blast!

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thanks Mark!

With a 6 and 9 year old we are thinking we need a few days on the beach, pools, slides etc. So we are thinking 2-3 days at the marina, any thoughts on The Ridge at Playa Grande? Fish for two days and the other 2-3 days we were thinking all inclusive beach like Hyatt Ziva which is miles up the beach from the marina. Or should we plan to stay around the marina the entire time. The boys are going to need pools and open beaches to run, snorkling. We don't to to much boozing or night life

Pete
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

peter for what it is worth Jeanette and Chris take three or four trips a year to the islands,mexico and they have found snorkeling to be the best family affair in addition to chartering a boat.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

For the greater good! We are estimating this entire trip is going to cost less then $2500, HOW?

We signed my wife up for a Southwest CC you get 60k points when you spend $3000, we also signed up for a Southwest business card; 40k points when you spend $1000. When you accumulate 110,000 points you get a companion pass, 1 person flies for free. So total round trip cost 113,000 points which we have. We had to pay $500 in taxes and fees out of pocket. We now have a number of hotel points we've accumulated from Marriott, Holiday Inn and Chase points that will cover our hotel costs, probably go inclusive so food is free. So we are out of pocket for fishing charters, snorkeling etc.

Not a bad deal! I was skeptical about travel rewards and credit card hacks but a friend convinced me it was worth it.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

is that including me pete
or should I say dad lol
1968 hull # 316 - 757
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Peter Playa Grande is an awesome property! I have stayed there a number of times. The boys will love it1 You can run over to Jansen Inshore Tackle and pick up a couple of 5 piece surf casting rod combos and a couple of Cabo Killers and have them boys out on the beach surf casting at daybreak.

It might be a good time for Roosters and some other miscellaneous in tight species and that will wear them out a bunch! The beach is nice and wide and there are always plenty of opportunities early in the morning. Always watch them by the shore the waves are random and the undertow is brutal! A number of way too brave folks have lost that battle yearly it seems. On the up side the pools are gorgeous and there are a number of them. The ridge is sort of a convoluted walk with some going up and some going down to reach your room but it is truly an awesome view from up there.

I have never been to the other property you mentioned unless they changed the name but that's a new one on me. In the end I guess three and three is a good split half the time on the marina and half with some piece and quiet. There is a swim with the dolphins at the bottom of the hill going into Playa Grande and it would be walkable from the resort. If you get too far out of town you need to cab everywhere and the cabbies will make love to your wallet if you let them.

PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

To funny Charlie....

Bob I will msg Jeanette and Chris for advice tonight...

Mark, I did get a quick email back from Mike, he's headed to Cabo now. We are going to keep our search for hotels close to the Marina Villa Del Palmar, seems to be a nice one Mike recommended too.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Mark, we decided on Playa Grande. Our rationale was it is a beach resort that you can walk into town or the marina.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

enjoy
you will have a great time
1968 hull # 316 - 757
coolair

Post by coolair »

In my personal opinion Cabo is pretty hard to beat no matter what you are doing. The last time we went we did the swim with dolphins deal in San Jose. It was alot of fun, my kids lovand the kids would like it... I even got to kiss the dolphin!! But not sure how cold it would be in February.

I have fished with Renegade Mike 2 times now i think. Honestly have not had the best luck fishing but wasn't for lack of trying. Always a good trip with him.

Mark in my several trips to cabo i have pretty much stayed between San Lucas and San Jose. When you look at the google maps there is alot of development past San Lucas(well there has been alot of development everywhere), have you been over there, i am just curious?

Now that you have me thinking about Cabo i might have to change my profile picture to the dolphin and I's intimate moment or maybe me and the seal on renegade mikes boat, the picture of the seagull and I is kinda old(also in Cabo)
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

I’ve stayed at about 15-20 different places in Cabo from cheap dives with a bed and a roof to hot and cold running champagne. Screw the later I’m a fisherman but the wife likes the snooty crap. There are some fun places out there mostly swanky. Last year we stayed out there lots of cliff side hard waking resorts out that way with a few newer ones out on the beach. You see them on your way out to the Golden Gate fishing area up the coast.

PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Flying down Sunday morning, booked The RedRum for a 5 hour trip on Monday.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Safe Flight!

Cartch a big one for me Pete.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Captain Omar is a fish killer! We won the last tournament I ran down there on that boat! Tell Tiffany (the office manager) and Ryan (owner/owners son) I said hello! We’ll need a trip report when you get back as well!
And of course have a great time with the family!
Safe travels

PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Great trip just got back. Had a small tuna bitten off and had one marlin behind the boat we couldn’t hook up. Monday was a slow day for most boats. Later in the week the boats came in with a lot better reports. Had a great time regardless, the boys enjoyed feeding the pelicans and sea lions. Carter did great snorkeling and we got some close ups whale watching.

We are all hooked planning on going back next year. Will get some photos up for those not on Facebook.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Here are some pictures from the trip

https://imgur.com/gallery/4jMzBR3
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Great pics, Peter; thanks for sharing! I hope the kids realize how blessed they are to have a nautical and sporting dad!
coolair

Post by coolair »

Beautiful. I am telling you, one day I am going to go to cabo and just stay forever.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thanks Tommy, I'm totally blessed Shannon and the boys are always willing to follow me on crazy adventures.

Matt you are correct, beautiful place. We are now trying to understand why we live in this place that only has 3-4 months of summer and a hundred mile trip to fish offshore. For the boater, fisherman and beach lover it is paradise in Cabo.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Looks like the family had fun!

I could stay in a place like that till I ran out of money...maybe even longer.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

PeterPalmieri wrote:Thanks Tommy, I'm totally blessed Shannon and the boys are always willing to follow me on crazy adventures.

Matt you are correct, beautiful place. We are now trying to understand why we live in this place that only has 3-4 months of summer and a hundred mile trip to fish offshore. For the boater, fisherman and beach lover it is paradise in Cabo.
Peter

Great Pictures. Something the kids will always remember. Great memories for you and the wife.

Why we live up here. Who knows, but I always said that to myself every time I visited an Island. Life just seems so much better, then reality set in, I needed to go back to work so I could return another day.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

In defense of up here vs down there, and down there is pretty hard to say anything bad about, life expectancy of the liver drops way off down there and late July to late October the humidity is oppressive. I remember one October I started sweating when I got off the plane and never stopped until I got back on. Conversely sweat is freezing to my back around here these days. Never mind you may be onto something...

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

MarkS wrote:In defense of up here vs down there, and down there is pretty hard to say anything bad about, life expectancy of the liver drops way off down there and late July to late October the humidity is oppressive. I remember one October I started sweating when I got off the plane and never stopped until I got back on. Conversely sweat is freezing to my back around here these days. Never mind you may be onto something...
And I thought you were tough.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Carter wanted to catch a Marlin, but I think he’s hooked regardless. Pretty good artist for 9

https://imgur.com/gallery/yv6Z4Fg
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

That “nunchaku” or what it’s called with the bones is all the money!
The kid has got a serious grasp of projections in space. Congrats.

Oh, and btw, a piece of info that would strike non Americans...the globe for us is always turned so that we see our own continent! Isn’t life funny!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
coolair

Post by coolair »

My inlaws have a place in Montana. Their ranch manager sent this the other day. All yall up north can have it. I will take the humidity in Cabo ALL day long. And as far staying till you run out of money. I always figured I could find something to make enough money... I just gotta work on my Spanish.

Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I’m right there with you Matt. They can keep the snow and cold weather. Sweating on the boat or having to spend the day at the pool beats shoveling snow every time for me.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

You better start buying lottery tickets or make one big drug deal.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Tony said,
And I thought you were tough.

No Tony I’m stupid.

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mark

We all have those moments. Some of us more than others.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Pretty sure we are doing a repeat performance next year. Same bat time same bat channel. The family can't stop talking about it