Stainless Marine Hardware

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jackryan

Stainless Marine Hardware

Post by jackryan »

Any recommendations for a good place to buy quality stainless marine hardware (Cleats, Hawse pipes etc...)

I pray that everyone on the Carolina coast faired well with Hurricane Florence!

Thanks,

JR
Snipe

Re: Stainless Marine Hardware

Post by Snipe »

I have been looking a gemlux stuff it looks nice and the stuff I saw in person looked to be decent quality. http://www.gemlux.com/catalog/plumb?gcl ... gL1yPD_BwE
Jason
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

2nd on Bosun Supply I was very happy with the quality of the hardware I ordered from them.
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Wow, thanks!! Those sites are amazing. My buddy is several years into totally rebuilding a 1972 46' Warren O'Neal just outside of Sydney, Australia. It's a hell of a big project, but he'll have an amazing soprtfisherman when he's finished. He is estimating another year to year and a half to finish up. He's looking for an oval stainless hawse pipe thats between 7 and 8 inches long. I can't seem to find one that big on these two sites.

Thanks again,

JR
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

embarrassing, during the rendezvous three people ask about the unique scuppers on my boat. i could not even come up with the first letter of the manufacturer then here it is but they (Gemlux) do not show those ones of a kind SS scuppers, possibly discontinued. they really are a great product and 1000% better than OEM with that bogus white vinyl flap that hardens up over time and stays partially open.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Thanks Mike, I think at least one of those will work for him.

Bob, those scuppers look great. Are they plug and play, or did you need to modify the boat for them to fit?

JR
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i cannot take credit for scuppers Raybo marine laugh at the OEM. pair and gave me the name for the "real thing" trust me they close and are watertight and whatever material they use it is like new after 12 years, the stainless is 316 use a brass screwdriver to tighten screws and forget for life. they fit in original cut outs.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Thanks Bob,

I looked through the whole Gemlux catalog and didn't see your stainless scuppers on there. Do you happen to know the dimensions of the scuppers? I did find an 8"X4" on line. I will give them a call tomorrow and see if they still manufacture them. They look great!

JR
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i would imagine you could call them and inquire. possibly they have leftovers not advertised i have done this in the past with success on my discontinue gauges from Flowscan. Gemlux makes one and only no top screws showing custom rod holders i did my entire boat with these rod holders and they are a work of art both in design and quality of made in USA 316 stainless.i would inquire!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

We put in Gemlux pop up cleats, recommended by Rob at Raybo. Holding up really well.

http://www.gemlux.com/catalog/deckhw-cleats
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Pete Gemlux has a smart design, pull up instead of push button pop up because the spring in the pop will eventually go bad made with super quilty SS.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

I ended up emailing them on the scuppers and they said they can get them for me. I've been eyeing the rod holders as well. I have old Lee rod holders on my boat and the finish has worn off of them. I have gotten pricing to have the Lee rod holders re-chrommed and that cost almost as much as the new ones from Gemlux. They offer a special socket to install the "no screw" rod holders for $70.00, but if I am reading the FAQ section of their website correctly, they will allow you to return the socket for a refund when you are finished with it. I am not sure the Gemlux "no screw" rod holders will cover the screw holes from my old Lee holders.

JR
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jack

How did you describe them to Gemlux? I would like to get a set also. Want to make sure they are the right ones if they are special order.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Tony,

I just sent you a copy of the email I sent via P.M.

They sound very accommodating, and there are some great videos on their website showing how they manufacture and test their products.

JR
spencer

Post by spencer »

Just did this project
The small no bolt rod holders will leave the previous holes still exsposed - had lee
If u use the heavy duty ones they will cover up everything

A little overkill but they look great

I did this on my 25 Bertram - I have the socket for them if u decide
To do the heavy duty ones - Little more money but save the issue of
Filling in holes and paint work

Spencer
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Spencer,

Thanks for that review and information. Would it be possible for you to post a picture or two of your rod holders? Also, I was curious as to weather you were able to use the same holes as the Lee Rod holders, or did you have to cut bigger holes for the Gemlux heavy duty rod holders.

JR
spencer

Post by spencer »

Had to make the holes bigger than the original
Pretty sure u would have to even with the smaller gemlux
Rod holder due to the base design

I’ll try to get pics up today for you
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

I spoke with Jerry from Gemlux this morning and he said that they still manufacture the stainless transom scuppers like the ones that Bob has on his boat. I ended up ordering a pair of the scuppers and, after reading Spencer's review, I went with 4 of the heavy duty Bluewater rod holders. These should be large enough to cover the screw holes from the Lee rod holders. I went with the 30 degree holders for the rear rod holders and the 15 degree for the more forward two holders. I don't know if I currently have the 30 degree holders in the back and 15 in the front holders, but Jerry suggested that might be a good set up. He gave me a 20% discount on the entire order.

JR
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

jackryan wrote:I spoke with Jerry from Gemlux this morning and he said that they still manufacture the stainless transom scuppers like the ones that Bob has on his boat. I ended up ordering a pair of the scuppers and, after reading Spencer's review, I went with 4 of the heavy duty Bluewater rod holders. These should be large enough to cover the screw holes from the Lee rod holders. I went with the 30 degree holders for the rear rod holders and the 15 degree for the more forward two holders. I don't know if I currently have the 30 degree holders in the back and 15 in the front holders, but Jerry suggested that might be a good set up. He gave me a 20% discount on the entire order.

JR
I believe we used 30 degree rod holders in the port and starboard gunnels. On the transom I believe you need to use 15 degrees otherwise they hit the panel
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

I would think 15 would still hit the panel. Do you have the 15 in yours? Do you know how they reinforced them under the gunnel. I am assuming the current stern gunnel will not support the pressure from a fish without being reinforced.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Jack Ryan,
I recommend either Acorn or Gemlux for quality hardware good stainless not Chinese recycled chevy parts. After 20 years my stainless looked like new it helps to spray it down with Corrosion X or a good coat of Woody Wax. We used Acorn and Gemlux when we built the Legend 34 back in the early 2000's.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61