35 Bertram 700K 61 Bertram @2mil or a CenterConsole at 3mil

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

35 Bertram 700K 61 Bertram @2mil or a CenterConsole at 3mil

Post by Carl »

Dropped off a job the other day to local dealership, my friend there tells me they are taking on Hydrasports

Cool, nice boat, but not for me.

Goes on to tell me about the 53' with quad outboards...Merc's or Seven Marine. Wow...sounds like a whole lot of coin for a Center Console.

Then he lays it on...they ordered a 65' Center Console with 5 Seven Marine outboards at 627hp each in that 2-3 mill range.

I thought he was joking...apparently not.

https://www.boatingmag.com/worlds-large ... ole#page-2

thats an awful lot of beer money.
Rawleigh

Re: 35 Bertram 700K 61 Bertram @2mil or a CenterConsole at

Post by Rawleigh »

More money than sense!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I don't get it.
I may just be old.

Where we go to the Bahamas I figured that the "go fast" crowd wanted to, well, get there fast.
The dollars that are being spent, could justify a very nice airplane; which goes faster than any boat....and you could have a small house and a small boat too at the remote location.

A 65' center console with a cabin seems odd.

The other thing these boats all seem to have is a VERY loud stereo...and tons of rod holders. Do you really need a rod holder every 10" apart?
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Far be it from me to post a politically incorrect comment but.......

Holy f___ing retarded crap.

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
captbone

Post by captbone »

Some of them are just for showboating but the market and demand has shifted.

Wealthy people have less time than ever before. Spending 48 hours fishing offshore is a generally a thing of the past. A boat is now pulling multiple duty including spending time at the sandbar, water sports, cocktailing, fishing and cruising. No fumes, silent engines, low draft, ease of maintenance, fast cruising speed and open layout are in high demand.

The way people use boats has changed thus demand has shifted toward open comfortable outboard boats. I had a chance to buy a late 1980s Viking 48ft with 871s for $30k recently. The demand is a fraction of what it used to be for sportfisherman style boats. Ironically a 31 Contender used with old engines has held is value amazingly and you will hard pressed to find one cheap as they sell very fast.

I recently ran a 43 SSC Formula with Quad 400hp outboards. $1 million bucks++++++. It was a super fun boat that I could have taken 15 people underway for fun in the sun. Like any boat, the depreciation is hefty though. I look forward to the future and being able to buy one of these monster for a fraction of the price in 15 years.

The trend seems silly but it is very functional when you are underway on these boat. I foresee high fuel prices (one day) killing this monster quad OB trend.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

The scary part is it says unlimited power. Holly cow.

I bet this thing will drink the fuel. 2 million and you are still stuck standing out in the rain when the weather turns.

Not my cup of tea.

Just an oversized day boat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

found another link that needs to be seen...

http://www.oceanofnews.com/this-65-cent ... peechless/
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

As I told a salesperson at the Lauderdale show ...."in my opinion, if it needs more than 2 outboards, it should have inboards"
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bertramp wrote:As I told a salesperson at the Lauderdale show ...."in my opinion, if it needs more than 2 outboards, it should have inboards"
But its all about the "Bling" hanging off the Transom.

I think we are a dying breed
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Dumber and Dumberer

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
cariedl

Post by cariedl »

"Center console yacht" is what the Pres. of HCB (formerly Hydrasport) calls it. Seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

I don't have 2mm to spend on any boat, so I guess I don't need to worry about it. Obviously I'm biased but I think the 31 has it all over these oversized center consoles. I'll take my 50 year old boat over one of these every day of the week. Not to say I don't like center consoles, I think the boats Contender and a few others in the mid to low-20 foot range are fantastic and if I could justify the reason...see afford it, (or convince my wife) I'd buy one.

Will be interesting as Capt Bone says to see where the market for these "light up" boats are in 15 years compared to similarly priced 60 sport fish from Viking/Hatteras/Bertram
Carl

Post by Carl »

How can you say they are dumb and dumber?

Didn't you see the Blue and Green lights??
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Here is a walk through of a purpose build fishing boat 370Z Seavee, this is a fishing monster IMO..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04S-WJRP668

Here is an equally impressive inboard, 46 Release Marine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzbMPS5T900&t=140s
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

PeterPalmieri wrote:Here is a walk through of a purpose build fishing boat 370Z Seavee, this is a fishing monster IMO..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04S-WJRP668

Here is an equally impressive inboard, 46 Release Marine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzbMPS5T900&t=140s

Uncle had a Seevee, real nicely made boat.
The release looks like the old Runaway. Sweat looking ride for sure.

Both usable boats.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

mike ohlstein wrote: Image
I think 65' 5 engine center consoles need to exist. How else could each buyer of a 50' quad engine center console rationalize their purchase?
God bless them - if they've got the dough and it makes them smile.
I now expect a recession no later than October 1st.
Regards,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

On my musicians forum, guys live in their Mom's basement and make fun of people that have $1000 guitars. I'm sure when we are out on our boat and some guy is fishing with a rusted up old rod on the dock he has similar things to say about our boats.

I'm thinking; recently divorced wants to run over to the Bahamas for happy hour and be back to Miami to do some clubbing you likely need a 65' center console with 5 7's.

Seriously a friend just upgraded to a new 28' Regulator, he doesn't fish but he and his wife take an evening cruise up and down the river, he's got more money then will fit in his casket. His two buddies upgraded to triple outboard Regulators, they only use them to run out to a restaurant in the Hampton's. The rationale was something like nobody runs a boat under 30 feet out there anymore.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

PeterPalmieri wrote:On my musicians forum, guys live in their Mom's basement and make fun of people that have $1000 guitars. I'm sure when we are out on our boat and some guy is fishing with a rusted up old rod on the dock he has similar things to say about our boats.
There's a difference between 'broke and jealous', and 'savvy and incredulous'.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

PeterPalmieri wrote:
I'm thinking; recently divorced wants to run over to the Bahamas for happy hour and be back to Miami to do some clubbing you likely need a 65' center console with 5 7's.

A 3100hp, 65' center console is needed to go to the Bahamas like a Lime Green Lamborghini is needed to go grocery shopping to be sure nothing spoils on the way home.

I wish I had the money for both toys...the 65 would be sold immediately for a much needed new 35 Bertram. I'd keep the Lamborghini as I need to make sure the milk stays fresh on the way home from the grocery store...But it would "have" to be painted, nobody "needs" it in Lime Green.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

There are more billionaires and millionaires than ever before. All it takes is making a few well placed investments. Or in the case of Elon Musk, con people into paying for your borderline insane ideas.

I know of 3 millionaires who invested in the begining in bit coin. When it peaked they cashed out. Took their money and bought the most stupid of things or paid someone to build them a stupid idea they had. American dream right?

Money, lots of time, money, lack of time doesnt matter. Boating as a lifestyle is 95% dead. A boat is another toy or asset with some jug head looking to build or buy something that no one else has or is limited to the elite few who can afford it.

Easy made, easy spent.

Remember the trend on 31's when diesel repowers became the thing and a select few wanting to put in over 400hp diesels?
I do, had two show up on my door, sent them packing.

The evil of good is better.
Dug

Post by Dug »

I was out in Montauk a week or two ago. There was a guy unloading a bunch of tackle off of a 53’ Hydra Sport. He was bringing it across the dock to his 60’ plus Bertram. Pretty good set up. Hydra Sport to run, and Bertram apparently as a high priced, depreciating summer house. Fun to watch however and think wow the things I could do.

As was said earlier, the American dream!?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Pictures of the 65' showed up in my Facebook news feed. SI Yacht sales ad. Pretty nice, not my cup'o but I can see having some fun on the water in her...
Carl

Post by Carl »

PeterPalmieri wrote:Pictures of the 65' showed up in my Facebook news feed. SI Yacht sales ad. Pretty nice, not my cup'o but I can see having some fun on the water in her...

Yup, that would be the place. As it may not be the boat for me, mostly because I Cannot afford it, that does not mean I will not push for a ride in her.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Looks like the one they are advertising has 4 Yamaha's and not 5 7's, not sure it's worth your time ;)

BC - before kids, I used to play a Friday evening happy hour over at Fire Island, a 60ft Azimut would show up. They'd hop on the boat in lower Manhattan when the market closed on Friday's and get out to me before dark for happy hour. The traffic does suck around here...Head back to the city on Sunday evening.

My guess if the other option is to spend 2 million on a house in the Hampton's and either sit in traffic or charter a helicopter every weekend, the numbers aren't as crazy. Plus it's a chic magnet, my guess would be that's SI yacht sales target market. 40-50 something divorced.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I think the 53 "only" had 4 OB's.
If I'm going to pull a favor its going to be for something worthy.

Not a long ride from North Cove marina to Fire Island, 55 miles or so, maybe an hour and a half in descent weather. Longer to drive in moderate traffic. I could see that being an option.

SI Yacht Sales...last time I had a boat there the clients bought boats and they stayed in the slips with an occasional weekend trip down to boat to show it off. Very few ever left the dock. A real shame as at the time it was almost all new big Vikings. Then again the few times they left the dock it was an experience...pulpit clashes and mangled outriggers were almost a certainty. Buy the boat, skip the lessons and hope for the best.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

So I fly people all the time, teterboro to East Hampton. $15000.00 one way.

Different club.
Bill