B25 filling the transom

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ktm_2000

B25 filling the transom

Post by ktm_2000 »

the template is finished for the transom core. I will cut out 2 pieces out of 3/4" meranti and epoxy seal them today.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zBUnHK6XAg8gkLEM9

I plan on notching the transom, where have others cut? it is just above the top of the bump out? the reason why I ask is I am trying to figure out where I need to grind to prepare for new glass on the back side.

Also how far out did you glass on the sides? did you also tie into the stringers with the transom glass when sealing the core?
ktm_2000

Re: B25 filling the transom

Post by ktm_2000 »

cut out 2 pieces yesterday, my template wasn't all that good as I didn't realize it was flexing and the final pieces ended up too big requiring a lot of tuning to get right.

was able to epoxy seal one side of each of them.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Assuming you are using a 30" shaft outboard, cut the transom at 30 inches(or little less) up from a line perpendicular to the bottom of the hull. I made a large square to find the mark. You will cut into the bump out.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

here's my dilemma, I'm 95% sure I am going with a notch and a large single motor. The other 5% wants to leave my options open for as long as possible for me to change my mind.

would it be better to notch now and glass as needed or notch afterwords and fill anywhere needed?

How wide did you make your cut out for a single?

from the pic I posted I was thinking about cutting vertical from the corners of the bump-out, I think it is a bit wide for a single but too small for twins.

I am slightly concerned that a single 300 either does not have enough torque low in the RPM band or blade area to keep her on plane when going slow in snotty conditions. I'm pretty sure I'll end up with a lighter build than cmass494 and it won't be an issue for inshore trips but if I go offshore for tuna and the boat is fully loaded with fuel, ice and guys, I'll exceed his loading easily