finding neutral on velvet drives

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ford351c594

finding neutral on velvet drives

Post by ford351c594 »

So, busting it to try to get boat back in the water by middle of August and its not looking good. On port engine I can't find neutral by feel. Like a bad detent or cable? It moves smoothly so I don't think its the cable. So is there a detent on the velvet drives, where is it, and does anyone have part numbers for what ever series of parts is necessary. I am having a hell of time getting any kind of support for velvet drives in New Orleans area besides and old dude that is retired and is ( well deservedly ) difficult to get in touch with.

also, I don't think it is over heated clutches. I can actually put it in neutral with the engine running but I have to have someone watching to see when it stops spinning..... makes docking loads of fun and makes me feel like a newbie as well. LOL
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
"smart people learn from their mistakes, the smartest people learn from others and their mistakes"
Tooeez

Re: finding neutral on velvet drives

Post by Tooeez »

If I disconnect the cable on mine and move the shift lever by hand I can feel it "pop" into the indent. There might be a lot of play in the cable--try disconnecting it and holding the end so It lines up next to the hole in the lever in neutral, then move the control to forward, then reverse and back to neutral and see if the end of the cable lines up with the hole in the lever again.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

On the side of the trans where the lever is that the cable attaches to, you'll notice the lever from the side has 3 holes. Fwd, n, reverse. Those are supposed to ride over top a ball for the detent.
Make sure the nut holding the lever on is not loose.

ford351c594

Post by ford351c594 »

is there another version of that on some velvet drives Bruce? I remember anything like that on the side and the starboard definitely goes in a distinctive neutral feel, however it is pretty light as well. I will check it out for sure tomorrow weather permitting.
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
"smart people learn from their mistakes, the smartest people learn from others and their mistakes"
Carl

Post by Carl »

If nut is not loose...the other problem can be the path the ball follows from hole to hole can be worn. Or put another way if you see a groove going from hole to hole you will not feel the ball hit the hole. Time to replace that lever or weld up groove.

Also if the spring is broke, that causes a problem as does the spring getting gunned up with rust and...

Something else to look for.