Making the best of a bummer

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Making the best of a bummer

Post by Dug »

My engines have a shade over 600 hours on them; 4 cylinder Yanmars. The majority of the time I have owned them they have run well. Very occasionally I have had mild challenges with the port engine neutral safety switch. Last year I had major fuel problems, starting just after the rendezvous. On the way home actually.

I brought the boat home from Newport just fine in early May. Ran it two weeks ago to put fuel in her. She took 120 gallons... since I appear to have lost 100-110 over the winter to thieves. Such is life unfortunately.

Today we all piled on board to take a ride to Block. Beautiful, flat hot day.

Port engine is dead as a doornail. Nothing. Nada. No click, no noise whatsoever. Clearly there is some stupid safety switch or fuse or some stupid electrical connection on the fritz. I am hoping they can fit me in and find it once and for all (i’ve been fighting this too on and off for at least a year) fix this FU#KING engine.

So I polished like crazy. All the chrome, aluminum and some enclosure. Boat is gleaming. But not running. So I have that going for me. Grrr...
PeterPalmieri

Re: Making the best of a bummer

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Boo
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

Hang in there. I am still on the hard do to waiting for two months for them to fix an oil leak. They kept telling me have to lift the engine. finally got tired of waiting and called a different mechanic. He fixed it in an hour without pulling the engine.

Now hoping to get in this week once the bottom is painted if gghe heat doesn't kill me.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

No click no nothing sounds like neutral safety switch.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

Tony, wow!

Mike, that is what I have been inclined to believe.

At the end of the day, I am very much aware that this is a first world problem, I have my health and life is good. I own the boat in the first place! But I would prefer to be zoomin’ over the waves this weekend vs. sitting on a beach... tough life choices!

We’ll get to the bottom of it. Even if it means new wiring from the ignition switch to the block. But it is an issue somewhere in there. LOL! I am hoping I can get fit in during this busy week! Good news is I can LITERALLY come down and stand in the mechanics shop and probably help a bit this week. :)

See you guys out on the water soon!

And the good news is she is gleaming! LOL!
Bill Fuller

Post by Bill Fuller »

Dug

You might take a look at the starter relay, which is located on the same block as the oil pressure sending unit and switch.
clean terminals, check for broken connections etc.
Maybe even try tapping it.
Also, just to check the basics, you could jump the starter motor terminals which should start the motor immediately.

Are you using the Yanmar wire harnesses? If so, you will have about a number 10, white wire going from the switch to the starter relay.
The neutral safety switch would normally be wired in series with this wire.

And of course, probably first put an ohm meter across the neutral safety switch to check continuity. I personal feeling is that is not the problem, but you never know until you check.

Another quick check would be to jump across the neutral safety switch. If that is the problem the motor will start.

This should be a really simple problem to solve.

Bill
Lars

Post by Lars »

Dug wrote:Beautiful, flat hot day.

Grrr...
I feel your pain Dug...

My 25 is just back from the hull repairs, ready to install two brand new Crusader 350's - just in time for the yard to take off for summer vacation. Idiots. Engines will go in when they're back on August 6th. No boat for what so far has been the best early summer I can remember. Oslo has consistently been one of the warmest places in Europe for two straight months, with weather that would make Yannis envious (hear me Yannis??)! It sucks to watch it from the shoreside...

Lars

Post by Lars »

..which brings me to the "making the best of it"-bit.

I have tinkered with whatever I could detach from the boat, so at least the brightwork is nice and shiny with three new layers of epoxy and four-five layers of varnish. All railings have been tightened up, and I glassed in new anchor points for the flybridge bench to fix the shudder.

Not much more tinkering to be done now, so I have been enjoying the extra craft I keep available for such occasions. I can recommend the approach. Hope you get back in the water soon too!

Dug

Post by Dug »

My buddy Bill came over this morning, and we jumped out the safety switch. Bill runs NE Bowthruster along with being my best friend and he always seems to come up with the solution. The engine started instantly. So its either a wire, bad connection at the switch which I will check 100%, or the switch itself. Bill I agree totally on should be a simple fix from here!

But at least we get to take a ride this afternoon!!!!

Lars, that teak is beautiful!!!! Bummer that it does not go in until August... I have no words.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Lars,

I launched on Tuesday and Im already in Syros island ...I will have a better internet next week and will put up some pics.
Its hot also here, we had a great swim with friends this afternoon...then we had to go sip some ouzo in the shade...
Enjoy.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Nuetral safety switch should only take you about 10 minutes to replace. Way better than a sharp stick in the eye! Then go burn some diesel.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Thats it Kevin! Burned a bit today just to enjoy the heat! It was a nice ride with my daughter snuggled up against me on the flybridge, waving to every boat we ran by. Good times are back!

Need to change the switch, but its bypassed for now. Not too worried, as the engine starts in Warm mode regardless with the electronic controls. That keeps it from going completely nuts. But it will be repaired correctly long term.

:)
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Good news
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Thumbs up
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage