Stamford, CT to Southport, NC Relocation

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Wursty
Standing Member

Stamford, CT to Southport, NC Relocation

Post by Wursty »

I've been visiting the sandbox for sometime but not posting lately. I've decided to move to Southport, NC and by mid-July I'll be taking the boat for a good run from Stamford, CT to Southport, NC to her new home. Planning on doing approx. 200 nautical/daily so if weather is good should be there in 4 days. Should I try Oregon Inlet or play it safe and run up Chesapeake to the ditch? Any comments? Anybody have their 31's in Southport, NC?
buzzk

Re: Stamford, CT to Southport, NC Relocation

Post by buzzk »

I wouldn't go in at Oregon Inlet without local knowledge. Google Oregon Inlet. I believe 2 boats got into trouble in the last week or so.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

From what I have seen on some other boards, Oregon has gotten even worse. They say the Commercial fleet has set up water bottle floats that they use for marking the channel and even then at low tide it is iffy.

Only run it if you have someone who does it daily with you.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Oregon Inlet is my home right now I saw no way. Run the ditch then either run the sound to Adams Creek if weather is good. Bad stay in ditch. Once we get weather with Southwest wind for a few weeks it might get better. But inside of Inlet is as bad as outside of the bridge. Something needs to happen it's bad this year.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

What Capt. Frank said, as that's his back yard. The ditch from Chesapeake Bay south is a pleasurable, scenic route with not too many no-wake zones (one lock and one or two low bridges in the area of Great Bridge, VA). Give me a shout if you overnight in the Beaufort/Morehead City area of NC; I'll try to swing by for a visit if I'm in town. Depending on the weather, from Beaufort you can continue down the ditch to Southport or exit Beaufort Inlet and run outside to Southport by rounding Frying Pan Shoals and entering the Cape Fear River; or you can enter Masonboro Inlet at Wrightsville Beach and finish your journey to Southport via the ICW. Evidently the Carolina Beach Inlet is shoaled up based on some reports I've seen.
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Run inside it’s a good ride no worries about weather and you can stop in Coinjock and get a great prime rib and fuel up.
Jason
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Wursty...

I live about1,000 ft from the ICW about a mile north of the Snow's Cut bridge over the ICW in Wilmington, NC. about 15 miles north of Southport. Drop me an email and I will send you my phone numbers etc.

Have you already made permanent or temporary slip arrangements? If not I can probably find you a slip in Carolina Beach. I don't have a lot of contacts in Southport but have many in the Carolina Beach - Wilmington - Wrightsville Beach area. Let me know if you need anything and I will be happy to help.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Wursty
Standing Member

Post by Wursty »

Thanks guys for the comments and suggestions. I'll probably run the ocean to Norfolk then head up to the Ditch and by pass Oregon Inlet. I'll be making this run in mid-July and look forward to the scenic route in the Ditch. I'll keep ya'll posted as I make my way southbound and hope to cross paths with a few guys along the way. At this time I have a 6 month dock commitment in Southport but always willing to consider other options. Looking forward to getting to know the NC crew.