1976 Bertram 28 Flybridge Rudder Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Captmas

1976 Bertram 28 Flybridge Rudder Question

Post by Captmas »

Hello All
I’m new to the board and have a question about Rudders on a 76 28 Flybridge we are refitting. Our original small rudders were stolen from the yard this winter. We have a pair we can get for $1500 that are for a 31 that are new and are marked Bertram31-2 on the rudder which I believe are the oversized ones that Bertram made for the 31. My understanding is they will work well on my 28 and help with the steering at low speed and one engine. Any input would be helpful. They are the same shaft with the tiller below the bearing.
Thanks
Mike Mas
Tony Meola

Re: 1976 Bertram 28 Flybridge Rudder Question

Post by Tony Meola »

Mike

Bertram used what ever rudder they had on hand for the 31. Some were designed just for the 28 and were used for the 31 also.

I am not sure what you purchased but off they are Bertram 28 or 31 originals they will not help with the steering. For those of us that upgraded, we used the ones designed by Capt. Pat and produced by Bobby Soles in Florida.

If they are Stainless then they probably came from Bobby Soles.

So I am not sure which ones you have.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I suggest you contact Ed at Stuart Propellor in Stuart FL, he has fabricated 40 plus sets of rudders for 31 Bertram’s and May have made some for 28,s. He designs rudders , struts for all the custom boats built here, Merritt, rybovitch, Willis for example, all high performance / high end fishing boats with Capt’s that have to get results. Smooth water( no turbulence ) in the wake of the Boat is mandatory. I replaced my Booby Soles rudders with his design which gave me better control when turning, still not perfect, rudder tow in is an art form. He solved my erratic steering at slow speeds on my 42’ with tunnel pockets.
bertram 20

Post by bertram 20 »

i know where there is a original pr of rudders the person just changed to oversize probably would sell cheap if you wanted them instead
John Nardi

Post by John Nardi »

I Have a set of Rudders for a 31 that I would consider selling...please contact me at 954 290 6783 John Nardi
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

My over-sized are being installed in a week or two.
My originals are in NY and are yours for a contribution to the sight and the shipping costs to your location.
They have the square key in the middle of the shaft.
Bertramp1@aol.com
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

I too have a 76 28' FBC and upgraded to larger rudders. They are the BEST! I can troll on one motor easily! If you go with the 31 rudder, the post is different. On the 28 the rudder arm go below the rudder shelf, but the 31's the arm goes above the rudder shelf and are not interchangeable.

My rudder shelves were shot and had to be redone. I did a composite version of Capt. Pat's building tips and if I had to do it all over again, I would go with the 31 rudder post configuration because having the arms under the shelf is pain.
Troy & Daria

28 Bertram FBC, 3.9 Cummin BT's

Conchy Joe "ITS THE BOAT'S NAME, NOT MINE" -
Hypoluxo Point, FL