re-paint

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

QUOTA2

re-paint

Post by QUOTA2 »

I blasted and epoxy coated the bottom and did 1 coat of blue and 2 coats of black Micron CSC in 2016. I have about 6-8 spots with some blue coming thru but the rest of the bottom looks good is it time to paint?. Not sure, the marina told me 2 years is the max I thought I had some guys tell me prior 3- 4.The boat is in NJ. Thank you for any of your input.
Tony Meola

Re: re-paint

Post by Tony Meola »

Quota

Where in NJ? We keep the boat in Forked River. There are others up in Point Pleasant and Cape May.

As far as ablative paint, 5 coats will get you about 3 to 4 years depending on how often the boat moves. If you have blue coming through I would give it at least one coat. Normally, I have to touch up each year with a recoat every two years, but I only have 3 coats on her. I use the Petit Hydrocoat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

We put 2 coats of dark blue Micron CSC over a red marker layer in 2016, have a couple spots close, will only touch those up and get another season out - not just because I'm cheap, but to limit unnecessary buildup of bottom paint. ImageOn Stands in Barn 2018 by Robert A Norton Jr, on Flickr
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
QUOTA2

Post by QUOTA2 »

Tony, I'm in Baywood Marina which is off Barnegat Bay and as Bob said not trying to cheap out just hate the thought of paint build up.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

this is the advice I give people- if you have a trailer and a way to pull the boat yourself you can take the gamble

if you have to get hauled then why take the chance?

it also depends on usage, water at the dock, etc, what works for one does not work for everyone even if you use the same paint.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

As Raybo said, why take the chance. I only touch up if I have any peeling or flaking. Otherwise I do not recoat until I start seeing redish color since I used Red as a base. Then I do at least two coats maybe 3 if I am on a roll.

I had to pull once to clean the props. Out for 45 minutes, if I remember right cost me $125. Haul and chock will be more.

I winter at Ricks Marina and we keep the boat over on Stouts creek just north of sunrise beach.

What is the name on the boat? I am sure I have seen you on the water. The name on ours is Ellie M.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315