new cockpit deck

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ryancarmody

new cockpit deck

Post by ryancarmody »

Hello. I own a 1968 31 Bertram "Ranger" with an old teak cockpit that is in need of replacement. Can anyone recommend the best way of going about this. I know there are a few companies that make them ...what would you guys recommend? I'm also interested in the side panels and possibly a new bait tank on the stern of the boat.
Tony Meola

Re: new cockpit deck

Post by Tony Meola »

Ryan

There are fiberglass decks you can purchase or if you are handy you can build your own. Some of us have purchased the pre made deck and others have made there own. Mostly at this point you will find the guys making their own since they are able to customize it depending on what they want to do. Fish box's etc.

Now you say the teak deck is in need of repair, how bad is it? Maybe you can possibly salvage it.

As far as the side panels again it depends. If you want to make a new deck, you can fair out the sides of hull and then eliminate them. Or if you want to keep them you can use either AZEK. or 1/4 ply that you coat with glass so it will not rot and put formica over it.

So you are at a point that you can name your poison so to speak depending on how far you want to go.

Let us know and you will get a ton of guidance.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

As Tony stated there's many options depending on your wants, needs, time handiness and pocketbook.

Teak deck is not an off the shelf option, it get installed over a sound deck. Can be done by a handy boat owner or pay for a marine carpenter to install.

Old decks used to be sections of marine ply with Nautilex covering laid over a Mahogany grid with oak uprights coming off stringers...a fairly easy do it yourself job if handy.

Fiberglass deck...sits on same mahogony oak grid and several options. 31Bertram and Cabrara make'm maybe some others too or find and salvage an old deck, make your own or have made.

Not sure of your situation...but for me it was compare my wish list with my pocketbook, the time I had available and found a clear path that worked for me.

Not that you asked or care...I had an old ply section deck that was in need or help. I decided less upkeep on a budget is what I wanted...so pulled deck and wood grid replacing with a fiberglass grid. McMaster sells structural fiberglass angles and tube, then located and purchased an older Tec-deck being pulled to be replaced by a new custom deck. Deck was in fair condition...just a few areas needed to have core replaced and resealed.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

carl
I think Alex from 31 Bertram is just doing trailers now
but it would be worth a shot to see if he has any thing left over
I know he was trying to sell the molds for 10k I think
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Carl

Post by Carl »

Charlie J wrote:carl
I think Alex from 31 Bertram is just doing trailers now
but it would be worth a shot to see if he has any thing left over
I know he was trying to sell the molds for 10k I think

Look like your right Charlie.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

L & H in Stuart, FL make their own decks when they redo Bertrams------I don't believe it is a drop-in, it looks like the same deck they use on their walk around that is modified to fit.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Try Cabrera's, I believe they still make the drop in's. Mine was a one off made by a then local glass guy, but if I was to do it again, I would build it myself and probably eliminate the side panels and put in gutters at the outside edge. Removing a teak deck will lighten up the stern quite a bit. Good and bad since these boats like to run a little stern heavy. Gives a slightly better ride.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i illustrated a five-page how to build the cockpit on this site.photo`s are locked up by photo bucket third-party hosting site regulation but tex is still there.cockpit is three piece with blind lap joints and unique hatch set up larger then any 31 Bertram in the world. COOSA 26 good for a thousand years with bulletproof "slam hatches in 316ss"seriously whats not to like!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Bob,

You can replace these photobucket pics.

Go to edit, take out the old pics and put back-in the same ones, with imgur or any other 3rd party hosting site of your choice.
I started doing this in a couple of my own old threads, the point is to make sure you still have those old pics saved somewhere you can retrieve them from.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

really i will make time and go thru your post slowly.i have 200 photo`s on that site most are Bertram how to do .damm shame for all the new Bertram owners trust me this cockpit has better and larger kill boxes or storage than a 55 Viking,50' Bertram, etc.total access to every mechanical/electrical device under the deck after you remove kill box inserts, impervious to saltwater, light, and loves epoxy based paint. (thank you Yannis )
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I also followed theCapt,s teaching and built all new deck framing/ supports out of Coosa, templates the tech in 3 pieces, made all 3sections of Corsair and teak on the bench ad installed by screwing up thru the deck framing into th Cossa sub-deck. Large kill/ fish box openings allow me access to transmissions to rudders, can take a nap in there
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

one bit of advice on building your custom cockpit .purchase a couple of 3/16" straight cutters for your router. when you decide what size your hatches will be you scribe then on the Coosa board using a guide for the router and a radius template for rounded corners, cut very carefully and use cut out for hatch covers thus entire job can be done with two pieces of 4' x 10' Coosa board and no waste.--------think
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13202
http://www.bertram31.com/proj/tips/core.htm
http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12007
http://www.bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?t=4504

Take a look at the above topics. Try the search function for more. Hopefully this will give you an idea of what we all have gone through.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315