Overhead storage - what have others done

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveM

Overhead storage - what have others done

Post by SteveM »

I saw this photo on the new Bertram 35 site. It looks like it's overhead storage in the salon.
I'm at work and cannot go measure right now LOL and was wondering if any of you have created overhead storage like this.
Would love to see some creative ideas.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Rawleigh

Re: Overhead storage - what have others done

Post by Rawleigh »

I built a platform above the headliner under the flybridge and put in a hatch slightly off center to the port side so I could stand on the dinette seat to access it. I have been completely up inside there myself to install electronic. Tight but doable. Of course that was a few years ago. I sistered all of the overhead stringers and it has been plenty strong. If I knew how to post pictures I would put one up for you.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Rawleigh,
I'd like to see a grown man climb up in that hatch!...well maybe not.

I just measured the headliner. Roughly 70" front to back. Unless there is some additional space beyond the headliner, it's gonna be a little short for fishing rods.
...maybe a rifle!
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Steve,
I have seen a self contained air conditioning system put up in that space. I think it was Marlin's boat that had it up there. Just remember to put a drain for the drip pan so it drains overboard or into the bilge.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

MOst of the rod storage I have seen on a 31 was a rack system up in the V berth attached to the headliner. As far as above the cabin headliner, all I have seen are hatches in the head liner then you can use it to store lures. I have to redo my headliner but we have hinged hatches which I think I will change, but we set up a system to hang our rigged offshore lures. When you opened the hatch the lures were attached to the back side of the hatch so they would be right there for you.

Other than that I have used mine for the electrical, sounder module, etc but that is about it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I recently dropped my headliner and there is not enough length fore to aft for rod storage but maybe Strb to port in the foreword area under the “ tub” area as Pat called it, big ,deep area
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I agree that there is not room for rod storage above the headliner. I hang my lighter fishing tackle from the overhead and store my heavy stuff on the v berth cushions. not ideal, but it works.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31