Internet on the ICW?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rickysa

Internet on the ICW?

Post by Rickysa »

How does one do so?

I'm bringing our new-to-us 31 up from southern SC to Morehead and found out that "Waterway Guide" has the maps on their site which shows all the latest nav concerns along the way on zoom-able scrolling maps...too cool! I've got all the paper charts and the chartplotter chip necessary, but it really is sweet to zoom way in on where you are and read the next marker w/o a magnifying glass.

I have no cell phone and have zero clue about how one would access the net w/o a wifi hookup. My wife has a phone (of course :) ) which could be used to talk to a laptop???

Clueless in NC and curious minds want to know!
Stephan

Re: Internet on the ICW?

Post by Stephan »

Easiest way might be to bring a tablet like an iPad with a cellular chip in it. It will automatically switch between local Wi-Fi you may connect to on your stops with using the cellular network while underway in areas where there is service.
I use iNavx http://inavx.com/on my iPad and am very pleased with it as a back-up reference.
Enjoy the ride!
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Your wife's phone should have mobile data if it is a smart phone. Have you tried the Navionics app? You would need to be in cell range of course. If you are in cell range and the phone is hotspot capable you can essentially make your laptop receive the wifi if said laptop is rigged to communicate with the phone. Not sure if this helps or not......
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Somewhat off topic but file this info away if you need it....

I live in Wilmington, NC, and am about 1,000 feet from the ICW as I write this. If you are passing by and would like to have a contact along this part of your trip drop me an email with your phone number and I will call you and give you my address and phone number.

IRGuy@aol.com
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Well I jumped in feet first and found myself way over my head :)
Easiest way might be to bring a tablet like an iPad with a cellular chip in it
Had a very patient young lady at our local Verizon store (where we have our family account) help explain this to me...Seems that this is the way to go. Neat thing is that I can sign up for some sort of deal for $10/month that I can cancel at any time (no contract)
I use iNavx....Your wife's phone should have mobile data if it is a smart phone
I'm going to do this as well...great program.
I live in Wilmington, NC, and am about 1,000 feet from the ICW as I write this <s> like to have a contact along this part of your trip
Will do....I'm thinking depending on how the boat behave/weather, we pop out at M'boro inlet and finish the last leg near-offshore

It's just my wife and I...with extra days allotted, we are just going to take our time and enjoy the trip.

Maybe a renaming ceremony at the '18 NC rendezvous?? :)
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

We are located just a couple of miles south of Masonboro Inlet.. actually we are just a couple of hundred feet south of Carolina Beach Inlet. IMHO I would stick with your plan to exit the ICW via Masonboro Inlet.. it has jetties and is well maintained.. CB Inlet is subjected to shoaling and requires fairly regular dredging, and the channel wanders occasionally, meaning the buoys are sometimes not on the channel's edge. It also leads you slightly south into the ocean before you can resume travel northward.

I can get you a guest slip in our basin, and fuel is about a mile away. A West Marine store, supermarkets, banks and repair facilities are not far away.

A warning.. just slightly north of Myrtle Beach is an area in the ICW not affectionately called "The Rockpile".. At high tide it looks wide, but at low tide sharp rocks and ledges are uncovered and extend from shore on both sides. It also is rather narrow, and it is best to place a radio open call to any vessels ahead traveling south to arrange a safe passing.

Feel free to contact me for anything you need.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!