Bertram 42 repaint advice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd Pearce

Bertram 42 repaint advice

Post by Todd Pearce »

Hi to all, i am about to embark on a full repaint on my 1986 Bertram 42, <ive completed all the engineering and interior over the last 4 years and now its time for the cosmetics, but require some advice
1 if we are not removing the gel coat, whats the best prep system

2 whats the best all round finish paint by brand, one we can touch up if required, I`ve heard it said the linear polymer paints cant really be touched up

3 id like to pretty the boat up with a nice hull colour and whit top sides, but iam not sure it will work with the 42s lines , shes quite boxy, doesn't have the lines of a 46,
Please feel free to offer all thoughts and opinions, I`d really love to get it right, to the point that iam willing to use a vinyl rap on one side to get an idea if it would look good,as i cant find any pics of a B42 with a nice two tone paint job, was thinking light blue, light sea green, but really open to ideas so please chime in
Marlin

Re: Bertram 42 repaint advice

Post by Marlin »

I’ve been using awlcraft 2000 products/process for 15 years on dozens of boats,it’s durable, repairable ,buffable , can also put on a clear coat process for darker colors, good tutorials on line Awlgrip
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

We're impressed with the Awlcraft 2000 as well - this is 19 years on the white topsides and buff cabin top/accents.
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
GerardA

Post by GerardA »

Hi Todd,
Go to the members section and look up Gert van Leest.
Go to search users posts.
Look for Bertram 37 finished and Re Bertram 37 finished
If I recall correctly, he has some really nice colors on the 37
He also had a 31 with a nice color scheme.
There should be some pictures on one of his other posts.

I think BobH also had nice colors on his 31.
Check out his posts as well

Good Luck
Gerard
Chris Havener

Post by Chris Havener »

Todd
I am restoring a 26 convertable, new engines, trans, shafts, stuts props and paint.
I was going to go Fighting Lady yellow hull, white top side, FLY on underside of hardtop and white on top. I stripped my bottom down to change color to white bottom paint.
I am familiar with and have sprayed Imron quite a bit but it is harder to find these days and with the low VOC's not what it used to be. So now for this project I am deciding between Awlcraft 2000 or Quantum polyurethane. The Quantum product appears to be very similar to Imron which is for me easy to spray and also easy to repair, and much easier to source than Imron, Jamestown carries it.
Awlcraft has a pretty good reputation too.
Chris
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

GerardA wrote:Hi Todd,
Go to the members section and look up Gert van Leest.
Go to search users posts.
Look for Bertram 37 finished and Re Bertram 37 finished
If I recall correctly, he has some really nice colors on the 37
He also had a 31 with a nice color scheme.
There should be some pictures on one of his other posts.

I think BobH also had nice colors on his 31.
Check out his posts as well

Good Luck
Gerard
As stated above Gert did some great work on his boats, but then again he is in the business. Best roll and tip guy around. Boats come out like they are sprayed. I believe in one of his posts, he said the secret was thinning the paint, but read his posts.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Alexseal Paint,?????? anyone had experience with it, read some pretty positive stuff about it but have know knowledge off it