Stuart Boat Show recap

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveM

Stuart Boat Show recap

Post by SteveM »

Just back from the Stuart Boat Show.
My brother lives up there, had free tickets, and I've been looking forward to seeing the new Bertram 35.
I like to go to these shows to pick up ideas, and introduce my wife, Melissa, to new ideas I have for the boat.

My impression on the 35, was favorable; if you are someone looking for a new boat in that price range. Which a number of them were. I saw open fisherman boats in that price range as well, still boggles my mind.
The layout and design of the boat was very good. Well thought out. Someone took the time to find every nice modification ever done on a 31 and offer it on this boat. Overhead storage in the galley caught my eye. My wife liked the buggy seat on the upper helm. (Who on the board has one of those buggy seats on a 31? I'd like to see someone's.) The batteries are stored flanking the gunwale/outside the engines port and starboard, above the bilge water line (I was happy to see this as that is how mine are set up). The cockpit actually felt smaller than ours. I'll have to measure the 31 tomorrow to compare; the 35 had approx 8' from engine box to transom. The grab rail/drain is a great idea. The helm and dash area looks similar to some of the re do's I've seen on 31's, Rybovich style pod, angled control panel with more space. I think he said it only draws 26"?!? It would be interesting to see a boat like Marlin's Wahoo parked next to it and compare. The 31 still has my heart.

I found a few items of interest that I was not aware of.

SwingStoppers. They are essentially ratchet straps with some custom made hardware to hold the boat and lift firmly during a hurricane. Appears to be a nice idea. http://www.swingstoppers.com

EXO Marine Shield. I'm not a metal guy or chemist but this looked interesting enough to grab a brochure. It's a metallic prop coat, different than prop speed. Looks like they sell it a lot to gun owners. Keeps the growth down and the surface slick. http://www.uctcoatings.com

Lastly we went to Whitaker Yachts yard nearby, as they had their own open house. My brother wanted to look at a 26 Boca Grande open fish they had there. They also had 2 or 3 vintage Rybovich's and a Huckins for me to ogle. Class outfit.
Last edited by SteveM on Jan 13th, '18, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tony Meola

Re: Stuart Boat Show recap

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

If I am remembering correctly, it might have Jerry Santiago with Zero Cavity that had the buggy seat. Since we lost all the old pics on the site I don't know how we can find it.

Try sending Jerry a PM. It has been a long time since he has popped so posting here might not get his attention.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Jerry,s Boat did have a stern type seat aft of the pilot seat,off to the port side as I recall. The Wahoo will be on my lift in a week or so, come take a look and compare
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Marlin
I'd like my wife to see your boat to see the upgrades, etc.
She's liked the amenities and such on the 35. I told her our 31, with a few upgrades will do us just fine.

Steve
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman