insurance

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

thereheis

insurance

Post by thereheis »

i know this has been here before but !!!!! who is a good insurance company to go with for a 30 year old bertram? not used for chartering just personal use....located in portaransas texas ?????survey will be done on monday ,,,

phil
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

I went w/ Boat US. Shopped them a little this year, still had the best rate.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Insurance

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Pete, when I bought my boat, the previous owner had it insured through Boatus, wanted me to take over his policy and pay him a pro-rated amount. They would not do this, wanted a survey and to jack the rates up quite a bit over what he was paying. Plus, they do not carry charter insurance. I ended up going with Markle American, got the charter liability I needed. The boat is now way under insured, since the repower, etc., but I'll need a survey to raise the value so I can pay them more money every year. They've done a good job of raising rates all by themselves, and since the boat is paid for, all I really need is the liability, so I haven't gotten around to that survey yet (actually swapped a guy out on one, he went through the motions, never saw him again or got the report). I've been with them about 8 years now, surprised they haven't required a new survey to keep my coverage, anyway.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Pete,
It just ain't that simple, to quote Jimmy Buffet. We need capital, meaning we need investors to put up the hard stuff. Any takers? Then we'd know how many we could write .
I think/know there are plenty more companies than two willing to write older boats with surveys. First place I'd check would be your homeowners carrier.
Mike, the greatest danger of underinsuring a boat is expecting to get reimbursed for a property loss in the event of a partial loss.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Capt. Mike Holmes

Partial losses

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

I understand it's not the smartest way to operate. I did have one claim against them a few years ago, and they paid with minimal problems. At the time I originally insured the boat, I didn't have much in it, now I sort of consider myself "self Insured", since I don't need a policy covering replacement cost to show to a lender. Will probably correct this when i get a few more projects done.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
ScottD

insurance

Post by ScottD »

If your eligible, USAA is a great company, wrote mine with a one year old survey. I had a lightning strike, paid just under 5K for electronics damaged, no questions asked. I had Allstate before them on the 31 and my previous boat as well, but when they tried to double my rate, I did some shopping around and USAA was the clear winner, thanks Allstate.

ScottD
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

After talking to agents at the past 4 major boat shows, there seems to be only 2 companies writing insurance on older boats in the U.S., TL Dallas(U.K.) and Boat/US. They require a complete survey. Most other insurance companies will not write on anything over 10 years old. Maybe we should start our own insurance pool, like UV says, insurance is like legalized book making (No offence to Andre). You could get balloon policy to cover liability issues. Either case be prepared to pay through to nose for coverage.
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

I have Oversea Ins., the underwriter is Zurich. I'm in Calif. but noticed on their card they are also in FL. (954) 522 2262.

I also tried Boat Useless , but they wouldn't insure a 1975 28' for what I wanted.
Jim
1975 28 FBC
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

I've got a friend in the insurance biz that specializes in boat insurance, and he always seems to be able to write old boat policies. His name is CJ Yarema and it's Florida Hiway & Marine Insurance in Sebastian, Florida. Here is his website, tell him I sent you: http://www.floridahiwayandmarine.com/
Dug

Post by Dug »

I insure with Boat U.S..

I have to say they have always been good to great. They have never failed to help.

Relative to this collision with the log I enjoyed in September, they have been spectacular!

Dug
J Clark

Post by J Clark »

I purchased a 1964 FBC, in Sept. 06' and had some knowledge of insurance entanglements for old vessels both wooden and fiberglass. My best experience has been with a company called CHARTER LAKES MARINE INSURANCE, in Wrightsville Beach, NC. The office number is:
1-919-256-6844, ask for Adam Myer. He can tailor make a policy to fit your needs, geographical location, pleasure or charter use, NSEW operational needs, and will give you several policy costs. They have done a great job on my 31 FBC, and did a great job on our our 1960 36' Rybovich. Any insurance company worth their "salt" will require an survey, maybe not at once, but atleast a recent certified vessel assurance.
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

I had my boat insured for charter through the Frank Bradford agency in Freeport New York. I paid $1800 per year with a $100,000 agreed value, tow rider, oil spill, terrorism , etc. Frank Senior is a wonderful guy, long experience in the business. Friendliest insurance agency Ive ever dealt with. Anyone who's interested can email me at stevonbi@msn.com and I'll find the phone #.
Steve

P.S. Storm Petrel still hasn't sold...even at $59,000. What's up with that?
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Oh, yeah. For those who don't know, my boat is a '62 FBC
Steve
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Steve: The market sucks right now. Feul prices are really having an effect i guess.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

I second Charter Lakes.
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

I use Charter Lakes also.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry