Side golden stripe

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

Side golden stripe

Post by Yannis »

Some Bertrams have a thin golden stripe just over and under the (generally) black side stripe along the foot of the house, that runs from aft to almost the tip of the bow.
If I were to do the same, what would be the best option? A sticker tape? A sprayed-on line? A hand painted one?

The objective is to make it as straight as possible; it seems difficult to imagine how to lay the two masking tapes (for each line) so perfectly parallel with such a thin internal width (should be less than a centimeter wide).
One other issue,of course, is where to stand for the realization of this fine tuning job...
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Re: Side golden stripe

Post by Carl »

Yannis,

If by realization how it will look when done...picture editing, photoshop or similar. Or precomputer, find a thin gold marker, take a photo in relation to size of marker line and draw it on.

If you mean by best way to achieve the wanted result...my answer is that it depends on whose doing it. I know if I gave to my local Pin Stripping legend, "Big Daddy George" he could hand paint a perfect pinstripe with half a load on, drinking a cold one and talking up a storm about his days of stock racing. I have seen a body shop guy tape lines ridiculously quick that where later sprayed or airbrushed with very good results. At a dealership I have seen a guy pinstripe a car in no time flat following lines I didn't see before he taped them.

So the answer is sometimes its best to let the guy doing it choose the method he knows best...or find the best guy who does the process you want.

If I was to do myself, I'd go with pinstripe tape...when it looks good I leave it on, when I mess up I pull it off and start again. My only advice...if you want it to stay on- - prep the surface perfectly clean, wipe with alcohol then wipe all residue and do not stretch the tape as you lay it down.

Good luck...and remember pictures are always welcomed here.
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I have recently put a 1/2” stripe 1/2” away from the boot stripe, requires u to install the lower piece of tape made of the thickness u want this feature stripe to be above the boot, the next tape layer to apply is the one that should be the same width as the desired feature stripe, then put the upper masking tape tight to the one that is in place of the feature stripe,rub all tape joints with a plastic squeege,peel out the center tape where the feature stripe is, re squeegee everything. I use a product call fine line masking tape,be careful as it will stretch as u attempt to pull it straight and it’s made out of gold! Might want to check with a local sign Painter as here in south Florida they install boot tripes with a non adhesive back tape that is applied over a sprayed soapy solution then squeegees once they accepted the look they set out to accomplish, probably 99% of all names and hailing ports are done this way and they hold up well and are easily replaceable once they do get damaged,which they will
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

I thought the word "realization" just meant the actual doing, not how it would look like etc.
Anyway, thank you for your input, unfortunately I don't know of anyone who does this kind of artistic interventions, although even if I knew someone I doubt that they would come all the way to the yard for a job that small. By the way, it is not at all popular over here to decorate cars, boats or whatever else with colored mermaids, flames, airbrush art and the like...
So its gonna be me.
The tape solution is OK, however it has two negative aspects. One, it will be showing as a "foreign" object, I fear it just wouldn't blend with the already faded black stripe that it will be adjacent to. Second, I have no idea how a tape ages with time and the elements in general. So I might end up after a couple of years having to start all over again.

As I'm writing this, I'm thinking of perhaps contacting those guys (I have to see who they are first) who paint brand logos on trucks and vans, you know, the Coke vans for example. I can safely assume that at least some parts of their work is not done by a computer or inkjet of some sort, but by hand. They might want to exercise their straight line skills on my boat, who knows?
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Marlin,

Thank you. You gave me a good idea; I will stick a masking tape ONTO the existing black stripe, that will cover it precicely until its, say, top extremity.
Then, I will stick exactly above it another tape having the desired width of my future golden stripe.
Then a third masking tape right above that one and, finally, I will remove the middle tape and paint the exposed width.
If that is what you meant,oh boy, I'm in for a seriously entertaining length of time as this will have to happen 4 times in total, two on each side !!
Donmystic1

Post by Donmystic1 »

Just have a decal maker make a roll with three stripes. One wide black and two thin gold lines above and below the black stripe.
Apply all three lines in one shot.
A company that does veh wrapping can make you the roll.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Donmystic,

Well, good idea, only if the middle black part were of the same width all the way, which unfortunately it aint!
It starts thick in the aft section and ends up 1 cm thin at the bow...
Donmystic1

Post by Donmystic1 »

Their graphic designer can do that on the computer easily. Just have them make a left and right side stripe.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

The accent stripe Yannis refers to came from the factory on the 26, 28, 33 and larger Bertrams. The 20, 25 and 31 "Ray Hunt designed" boats never had this accent stripe because there was no elevated section of the bow cap for it to be applied.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I agree with Don from Mystic, the pros that do vinyl graphics can create and make the adhesive decal that you desire. Take the vertical measurement of the "stripe" at it's widest (aft origination) and measure the linear distance to the forward base of the house, and the stripe appears to be a constant width throughout. Then measure from that point to the termination at the bow where the stripe becomes a point, and the graphic designer's computer will calculate the gradual narrowing to the terminus. Then have the sign/decal shop provide you a port and starboard image and price. Granted, my scenario presumes a consistent narrowing of the width from forward of house base to termination, but that appears to be the case based on Bertram 28 images.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

If you can not find a local decal maker,they are available on line.

Now if you decide to go the black and gold tape route, I learned a trick from someone who painted names and put decals and boot stripes on boats. I was watching her put on a boot stripe tape, and she before she applied the tape to an area, she had a spray bottle. She would spray an area apply the tape eye it up and adjust it by sliding it around. So being curious I asked her what was up.

She said water, and a drop of dish soap. Spray it on and it gives you time to adjust the tape to get it right then just run a squeege over it. I have not tried it yet, but this spring depending on my projects I might try to replace my boot stripe. I would test on an area first. But it worked for her.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Donmystic1

Post by Donmystic1 »

A bottle of Windex works better.
Once in the correct place you will have to sqeege the moisture from under the tape.
I use my wife's hairdryer set on low to help with this.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you guys.

So, up to now we have two methods; the decal shop stripe - whether local or on line, and the "triple masking tape with a removable middle part" method, as per Marlin.
I'll discuss the issue with my yard people to see what's available and let you know of the outcome.

Tommy,

So, to tell which Bert is by Hunt and which by Napier it suffices to look for the existence or not of the accent stripe? I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Yannis: They make double pinstriping tape. Both tapes are on the same backing strip. Get this with the spacing in between that you want for your stripe. Apply it and then hand paint the gold stripe in between. Remove double pinstripe and you are done!

Like this:
https://www.ebay.com/p/3M-Scotchcal-Str ... 2264074984
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Rawleigh,

Thank you very much.

Let me see if I understood what this pinstripe is:

I will buy a "useful" double stripe with a prefabricated space in the middle. Instead of "using" this double stripe (stick it and leave it on the boat that is), I will first stick it and remove the transparent protective film as if I were to leave those stripes on the boat.
Then, I will paint the intermediate blank space (that I would have ordered to my wanted width). Finally, I will remove both stripes and I will be left with the painted middle part!
Right?
Thing is now to decipher quarters, eighths and sixteens of an inch into millimeters. Even the Britts are now converted into metric, liters and Celsius...even the Britts...
Funny thing though, we use metric in ALL calculations BUT use inches in plumbing tube diameters (only in tubes !) and nautical miles in the sea...
If there is a nut at the end of the tube, then its inner dia will be in inches BUT the spanner will be metric...what a world!!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Yannis, Ray Hunt also designed the early "Widebody" Bertram 38 Convertible (1970-76) which has the accent stripes. Best I can tell is that the Bertram design team liked that accent stripe and used it on all models that had the elevated portion of the bow cap (which provided for a few inches of additional headroom), whether designed by Hunt, Napier or the factory team. I've always liked the accent stripe on models which carried it.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis,

Here's your conversions-

inch --- mm

1/4" = 6.35mm
1/8" = 3.18mm
1/16" = 1.59mm
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Lets make your life easy. Order from these guys, they ship internationally.

https://www.customvinylgraphics.com/

Or look at this for ideas on what might be available.

http://www.vinylstriping.com/oddlots.php

If you find something that a US dealer will not ship overseas, just have it sent to one of us, and we can re-package it and send it to you. A couple of rolls of tape, should not cost that much to send to you. I know famous last words. But my wife is a box hoarder, so I am sure I have a box it can repackage it in. LOL Do not tell her I said that.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tommy,

Is there anything about old Berts that you don't know? LOL !
Interesting though, except for the 31, which came first and is somehow tied to Dick Bertram's personal history and all that goes along with it (Miami-Nassau race etc), there isn't much "history" about the other Bert models available online...unless there are elements elsewhere that I'm unaware of.
For example the 28 which was the most sold model in Bertram history, or the 38 or 54 that were significant models, there are very little pieces of info here and there...about other models almost nothing.

Carl,

That's my point...it is not of ANY particular significance to even discuss about denominations of the millimeter...it just complicates your life...
All everyday measurements just stop at the millimeter level, no technician ever takes any sub- mm measurements; our tape measures don't even have any such denominations.
The ONLY time you have to account for mm denominations is when you deal with inches. But this happens so rarely, that between occasions I forget the conversion specifics !! Thanks.

Tony,

Thank you. It shouldn't be a problem with posting from the US. Also, I could perhaps(?) find these stripes locally.
Tell your wife not to worry !!
I had my boat name's stickers made in the US and sent over; I don't recall any issue with the post or elsewhere.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:Tommy,

Is there anything about old Berts that you don't know? LOL !
Interesting though, except for the 31, which came first and is somehow tied to Dick Bertram's personal history and all that goes along with it (Miami-Nassau race etc), there isn't much "history" about the other Bert models available online...unless there are elements elsewhere that I'm unaware of.
For example the 28 which was the most sold model in Bertram history, or the 38 or 54 that were significant models, there are very little pieces of info here and there...about other models almost nothing.
In history we learn about and remember The First...first man in space, first man on the moon, first man to the North Pole, first to climb Mt. Everest, First Flight, First Transatlantic flight, The First prominent Deep Vee boat. It is The Boat that changed the design of race boats and became the Classic Sportfishing boat...

The 31 Bertram is a first

[/quote]
Carl,

That's my point...it is not of ANY particular significance to even discuss about denominations of the millimeter...it just complicates your life...
All everyday measurements just stop at the millimeter level, no technician ever takes any sub- mm measurements; our tape measures don't even have any such denominations.
The ONLY time you have to account for mm denominations is when you deal with inches. But this happens so rarely, that between occasions I forget the conversion specifics !! Thanks.

[/quote]

Our Imperial measurements are ridiculous for sure... Inch based on a kings thumb, foot based on a kings foot, yard distance from nose to fingertip. A system of measurements based on randoms...

As to no sub mm measurements. Try drilling and tapping a hole. The Tap to make the threads will most likely be a whole mm denomination the drill used is often not.
But I understand your point.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I found a site, sales@lettersunlimited.com whereby I ordered a 3mm/150ft roll of golden sticker stripe!
I chose the color from their color list, without being sure how exactly it would look like when finished...
Today I placed it on the port side, took me a little over an hour.
I cleaned the surface quickly with acetone and was moving alongside of the boat on a ladder, so as to position it on the exact perimeter of the existing black stripe.
From a distance you could tell it's the job of a pro, from close-up it shows the age of the layer its placed upon as well as the black surface that needs retouching, but for me it's almost perfect.
Tomorrow I'll go for the other side !
Total cost $35, of which a good chunk was postage fees.

Thank you all for your ideas and experiences.

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Well done! Looks nice and straight.

For that light surface rust I've been using a product called http://quick-glo.com.
Really worked wonders on my old '65 Chevy chrome.
I then tried it on some of the stainless on the boat with great results. Easy to use and leaves it with a waxed finish.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Nice job. Do you hire out?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Steve,

This is not surface rust, although I appreciate your kind concern.

In Greece, Italy and generally ALL of southern Europe, also once in Britain (!) as my aunt who lives there recently told me, whenever there are south winds which usually occur mostly in the winter, like now, there is this phenomenon whereby this yellow dust from the Sahara desert is blown towards us!
It is so yellow and so thick sometimes, that it blurs visibility, for instance just yesterday I couldn't make out the big mountain which is a few miles away from my home.
Now, if at night there is humidity, which there is, or rain, all this drops down and accumulates like fine red soil on the ground...the boat is white so it shows much more.
It is also predicted in the meteo reports on TV as "...tomorrow conditions will enhance the transport of African dust".
It happens, say, 3-4 times in wintertime and we are used to it !

Tony,

Yes I do, only my transportation is damn expensive, ha ha !
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Great job, Yannis!
David Davidson

Post by David Davidson »

And that Sahara red dust stains Awlgrip paint if left on more than a week. Ask me how I know!
David Davidson
1971 B31 FBC Hull no 315-1106
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you Tommy.

David, I didn't know that, I will have to hurry and rinse it out then, thanks.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis wrote:Thank you Tommy.

David, I didn't know that, I will have to hurry and rinse it out then, thanks.
Tennis

I am sure breathing that stuff in is not healthy either.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony, in fact I was looking for a nickname, Tennis sounds fine !!!

It's not acidic or a pollution derivative; it's just pure saharan dust or sand or both.
I guess those with asthma might not like it too much...
I have a closed garage, but those keeping their cars outside, especially darker colors, look like as if a bomb was detonated nearby and all debris fell on them!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Don't forget about silicosis from the sand!! Not that you can do much about practically speaking.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Sorry I was using my Notepad. I guess it thought Yannis was Tennis or maybe your mother really loved Tennis but Named you Yannis just because.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony, no need for any apology!

As a matter of fact, and since this thread was by me (so that noone can blame me for highjacking), let me also add the following:

In Greek, but also in Russian and most certainly in other languages too, names such as first names, family names, city names etc take different forms when they are in singular/plural, when they are male/female or when the speech calls for a different iteration.
For example, a male family name in Russian is Gorbachov, but his wife is Gorbachova, for Putin it is Putina etc.
Similarly, in Greek, an island name is Syros, but if you are talking about...the nice beaches OF Syros, the name Syros will have to change to Syrou - the -ou denoting that the beaches belong to Syros.
In the case of my name,Yannis, which is a short version for Ioannis, when you address yourself to me you have to drop the final -s, so as to show that this is an address and not simply a reading of my signature. Hence Yanni.
For the name Alexandros you do not drop the final -s but change the last syllable to -e (Alexandre) when you address to him, or change to -ou (Alexandrou) when you want to show that something belongs to him or is of him. However, you do drop the -s into Alexandro when you want to show that you transfer or give something to him ( ex. I’ll give this to Alexandro).
It goes into more detail depending on which of the three “classes” a name or noun falls into etc, but I guess this is enough for greek 101 !
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

No offense, but why do Europeans make something that should be so simple confusing? LOL
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks for clearing things up for us, Yanni!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony, how about some Chinese for real complicated!
Tommy, right!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis wrote:Tony, how about some Chinese for real complicated!
Tommy, right!
Actually eating in a chinese restraunt here in the US is easy. You just pick one from Bolumn A and then one from Column B. (This is an old joke her in the US)
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony, ha ha yeah, some(t)ing (r)ike that!