Another old Bertram owner gone!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rawleigh

Another old Bertram owner gone!

Post by Rawleigh »

Billy Rowe, my Godfather who was like a second dad to me, passed away on January 2 at he age of 93. He ordered my B31 new in 1966 to replace a wooden Chris Craft. One day after fishing in the ocean off Virginia Beach the Chris Craft started leaking badly. When he hauled it out a plank fell off the bottom! After digging out all of the hole plugs it was ascertained that a large number of screws had been left out of the bottom and the plugs were put in over empty holes! Only water pressure was holding that particular plank on! Needless to say it was time for an upgrade so he flew to Florida to visit the Bertram factory (back in the days when it was still out in the boondocks) and ordered the boat! When I was going through old pictures at his house I came across two photos of my boat making a photo pass by the dock when it was so new it did not yet have bottom paint on it! He ordered it without paint because he did not like the way the factory extended the paint on the bow all the way up to the chine. My boat only has paint along the actual waterline. He also ordered it with the lower station and a full cabin bulkhead for rock fishing in the winter. It has resided in the enclosed boathouse on his property since new. Fortunately he left me the property so it will remain in its original home.

The place just won't be the same without him around though. He was a Boatswain's Mate in the Pacific during WWII and was very particular about the boat and how it was used. He taught me everything I know about boats. With him gone I only know one other living WWII vet. We are loosing the last of that generation!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bertramp

Re: Another old Bertram owner gone!

Post by Bertramp »

You do have good memories .... cherish them !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

god bless him
and my condolences Rawliegh
1968 hull # 316 - 757
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Billy was the lucky one - to have you there for him, and for you to take such great care of his Bertram. Awesome job. Condolences to you and your family.
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Carl

Post by Carl »

Sorry for your loss Rawleigh...

I try to look at it from the viewpoint of, if they are remembered they are never lost. Sounds like you have plenty of memories to keep him alive. Keep telling and sharing those memories and he'll be around a long long time.

A plank falling off the bottom of boat when hauled...that's a new story for me to tell at the club.

Carl
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Rawleigh,
Sorry to hear about your Godfather, he sounds like a real old salt. Like you stated we are loosing the WW2 generation very rapidly and the Viet Nam guys are going almost as quickly. I just buried my front end man today he had just turned 72, he served his country, the Fire Department and his family well, a true gentleman and a good jake. 12 years as my front end man I was on the tiller and we never hit anything that we didn't want to.
I remember when the Bertram factory was out near the Miami airport not much out there back in the old days, the tarpon used to roll right off the Bertram docks way up the Miami River.
Again my condolences on Billy Rowe's passing.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Great story Rawleigh! Thanks for sharing. Condolences.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rawleigh

Sorry for you loss. Their are no greater memories than owning the boat that a loved one had. I think about my father and all the good times we had every time I am on her.

He will always be with you.

Great story.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

There was a time, not so remote, that we were overwhelmed by myriads of invitations to weddings.
It was around the time that most of us got married.

Then, came the era of invitations to baptisms. It was around the time we had our children young.

Now, comes the time for goodbyes...
Sad, but this is life.
My condolences Rawleigh.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

One of "The Greatest Generation"; thanks for sharing, Rawleigh. Sorry for your loss, but wow, what a full life.......and a Bertram steward no less. In my book your 31 qualifies as an "original owner boat" based on the ownership going from original purchaser to God-son. Post a photo of your boat in the barn for us if you will.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

My condolences Rawliegh. Sad to see the last of the WWII vets leaving us. My dad served in WWII as did many of the men that mentored me when I was just entering the work force. It’s funny how much I took them for granted. I just thought that was how men were supposed to be. I’m glad for the memories your Godfather gave you over your lifetime.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Nice story and sounds like a good man. My condolences.

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Dug

Post by Dug »

Raleigh, I am sorry to hear this and am so sorry for your loss.

Thinking of you, and of course there must be some solace to know that all the knowledge given and the boat are full to the brim of memories.

Best,

Dug