Stuck pull switch: Need advice to "un stuck" it!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveM

Stuck pull switch: Need advice to "un stuck" it!

Post by SteveM »

On my lower helm control panel (dash board) there are a number of pull switches on the left and right hand site of the gauges.
Two of them are stuck and I cannot pull them up in order to activate the Anchor light, nor the Wipers.
I have attached an image of one of the switches. It appears to be made of brass.

I have soaked it in Liquid Wrench overnight. No change.
Sprayed it with Blaster. No change.
I even tried soaking it in Vinegar. No change.

Hoping one of you has a trick up your sleeve.

Thanks .

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2upehoj65JeSZXAN2
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
SteveM

Re: Stuck pull switch: Need advice to "un stuck" it!

Post by SteveM »

a quick google and I found this. It looks like the same switch.
https://www.amazon.com/Cole-Hersee-M-48 ... automotive
Steve Marinak
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Cole hereshee, perko similar make 2 or 3 position switches, lubricants on the sliding shaft will probably not effect the electrical contacts inside the switch enclosure and they probably have no dialectic property's , west marine is a multinational source of this type switch, get the correct type orientation, off, on ,on or off, on are 2of the types u may need , especially for running lites
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

You will spend more in lubricant trying to free them up that it is worth. As Marlin said just go over to West Marine or similar store and pick up new ones. I would not trust them anyway, anything electrical that gets stuck means there could be bigger issues down the road. I would be worried about them shorting out.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Tony, Marlin,
Good advice. I'll probably by a spare or two as well for the others that are old.
Thanks
Steve Marinak
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

In case anyone else finds this thread and has the same need. I just found the same switch but coated/sealed to prevent the elements from getting inside.
https://www.amazon.com/Cole-Hersee-M606 ... 4BHWF1GEV5
Steve Marinak
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I have a few antique chris crafts ,from the 40-50 era, I buy switches to keep these collector boats in running order, they are electro / mechanical devices that will wear out over time ,sometimes decades. The overall market for these switches is so small, no one will ever want to create the purfect switch, I keep a drawer full of spares, they fit all boats
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

StevenM,
Don't waste your time trying to unstick them they cost between 5 and 12 dollars and are available at any boating supply store. If two are bad the others are sure to go bad shortly replace them all and save your self time and future problems.
They are made by either Perko or Cole Hersey some are 3 position others are just on off, they do not like to get wet.
Hey Marlin, what happened to the F&S that you had in P.R. did a hurricane get it or did you trade it for the new ride?
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Peter, how are your joint replacements going, haven’t heard anything lately ? I bought the MarliN Darlin , 62’ spencer, composite Boat, that had a marlin visit the cockpit a couple years ago, on u tube, 45 knot boat , nimble ,simple. I think I’ve had my last cold molded boat, we used 4 straps to lift her, custom chine blocks I designed,every time she got hauled, a chine section got torn loose, problem with me was I never felt comfortable after repairing the chines and not knowing the damage that could have reoccurred during the launch, got evidence this had happened in Puerto Rico after the survey and someone went in the water with an underwater epoxy pach system,when we hauled her in the states for the bottom paint, the chines were loose/ broken. The 62’ is 73k#,s,looking into a stabilizer installed next summer, I hi speed troll, bottom fish, deep drop most of the time
Donmystic1

Post by Donmystic1 »

Ebay $17.00

Many Marine consignment stores have boxes of used switches for $2.00 each

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cole-H ... BF&vxp=mtr
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Marlin wrote: deep drop most of the time
Just bought my first deep drop setup. I hope to get into some tilefish next year.....

http://www.royselectricreels.com/rodzilla_sbt_info.html

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/ ... index.html

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I will be interested to hear your results, we fish from 750’ to 1200 ‘ in the Bahamas for yellow eye snapper, queen snapper, silkys, mystic and snowy grouper, the trick is to get the fish up away from the sharks before they eat your lunch. I’ve not tried this reel at these depths, have used them in shallower waters ( 250) for vermillion snapper. Sometimes we bring up 75-100 #,s of multiple hook ups,again trying to beat the sharks,let me know as my wife may need a new fishin pole for Christmas
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Marlin,
I have finally found a orthopedic surgeon in Baltimore. He is a friend of Dr. Pat Peterea from Saulsbury, Maryland who is on the board, he has a 31 Bahia Mar that Wortten Creek Marina has been working on for the past year.
On Dr Pat's recommendation I flew down on the 14th of November for initial exam, he found that the saphenous nerve on the inside of my knee is one problem and the implant is loose all around. Once we get the nerve problem taken care of he will implant a cement less titanium insert some time in March of 2018. The doctor that I saw has implanted more cement less joints than anyone else in the U.S. He is the first doctor that actually spent the time to go over all my surgeries and nerve problems, he actually spent over an hour with me between other patients, he injected a nerve block into the knee 3 times and found the correct spot that numbed the Saphenous nerve for 4 days, he told me that once the nerve block wore off it would hurt like hell, boy was he correct, I can live with a deadened nerve on the top of my foot and the lower part of my leg, as long as the pain goes away completely. He said that I will have a knee joint that will actually work without pain and will not loosen up like the last 3. It's a far cry from the last 3 doctors I saw in the Boston area they all wanted to either fuse the knee straight( stiff legged for ever) or amputate it at the mid thigh, which doesn't leave a much meat for the artificial leg to attach to. Anyway I am going back to Baltimore in January for additional exams and tests finally I found someone who really knows what he's doing.
I will not be going to Florida this winter due to the knee but I will be back in 2019. I have given up surveying because of the mobility issue with my knee and it's hard climbing in and out of boats with crutches. The doctor in Baltimore said that as long as I don't have to climb fly bridge ladders or towers I will be able to get back into fishing and running an express style boat. I 'll be keeping my eyes open for another Bertram 31' express or a 38' Special for the 2019 season See you next year. Happy Holidays to you and all of your family.
Pete Fallon
P.S. Langer Pitman makes the best deep drop reels that with stand up for longer than anything else on the market.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

great news pete
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Pete: I agree with Charlie! Great news! Glad you may have finally found the right Doc! I has been a long row to hoe!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Pete

Great news. I am really surprised that you could not find a Doc in Boston who knew how to handle the issue. That is scary.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315