Battery Switch - Location

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Battery Switch - Location

Post by John F. »

Next Question:

Crows Nest has two battery switches (Blues Seas) that have the 1, 2, both, off positions. The switches are currently located against the hull in starboard side engine compartment. I'm moving the batteries over to the port side to correct a list, and the switches are going with the batteries. I also generally like to turn off the power to the boat when I'm done using her, and she doesn't stay plugged into shore power. The bilge pumps are wired into the batteries separately, so they have power no matter what (unless of course the batteries die).

I was thinking of flush mounting the switches to the port side cockpit panel as close to the engine boxes as possible. That way they'd be really easy to turn the power on/off when I get in the boat. I really don't want to have to open the box every time I get in/off the boat. The engine boxes have been extended about 11", and are line with sounddown, and are just plain heavy. I always open the boxes and check things (coolant level, oil, generally look over) after I use the boat, but sometimes just like to jump on and sit and have coffee or another beverage (depending on time of day). The battery switch on my B20 is a Perko, and has been exposed for years (it was that way when I got her), and has lasted fine. Any thoughts?
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Harry Babb

Re: Battery Switch - Location

Post by Harry Babb »

John

My opinion is that the location will be just fine.

Mine are mounted on the bulkhead behind the engines and require opening the hatch's to turn them on or off....and you're right the hatch's are heavy.

I once had a 244 Chaparral.....the battery switch was in the back exposed to all the blood guts and beer....and never failed. I'd often thought of moving it but never did and it seemed to be just fine.

If the elements are of concern....you could build a small cabinet with a small door that would protect them from rain seawater and wash down water.
hb
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

On my 28 the battery switches are mounted inside the cabin, under a teak step inside the cabin door. I don't know if a 31 has a similar step, but it works really well--the switches are out of sight and harm's way. You open the door, turn around and turn on the power--when leaving the switches are the last thing shut off before exiting the cabin and locking the door.
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

John, u might want to consider putting an ANL type fuse on the battery cable(s) , the recommended guideline is within 7" from the battery
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks for the replies.

Marlin- Hadn't thought about fuses. Crows Nest has been rewired and there aren't fuses in the battery cable runs. My '69 FBC had the original everything, and she had big tubular type fuses that you used to see in houses in the cable runs. I'll look into it. Thanks
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/battery_fusing

John

Here is an interesting read on fusing the starting bank.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315