Clearcoat repair

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

makomike1

Clearcoat repair

Post by makomike1 »

Hello all. I have a 28 bert that I restored 10 years ago. I had the flybridge repainted with enamel than clear coated. My problem now is that the clear coat is pealing off of my blue stripe on the flybridge. The bridge and the blue stripe were clear coated at the same time. I don't know why, but its only on the blue stripe that's peeling. The rest of the bridge looks excellent. My question is how to fix this?? Is it possible to fix this problem and just reshoot clear coat on the stripe with out repainting the entire blue stripe than clearing it.?? Thanks Mike
Tony Meola

Re: Clearcoat repair

Post by Tony Meola »

Mike

Is the stripe paint or tape. If it is tape the clear probably will not adhere to it. I am not a body guy, but if it is tape I would try to feather the coat back away from the tape. Then cover the tape with painters tape and try and clear that area you feathered back up to the tape line.

Only other option is if it is tape is to remove the tape and try to re clear the whole bridge. You may have to to get a decent match. I realize it is clear but there may be some discoloration.

If is tape and you want a stripe you will have to paint it on. With the right paint it should stick. Maybe they used the wrong paint. I know for painting names on boats they use sign paint. The clear may not stick to it. If you read the instructions on the clear, they tell you if it is not compatible there will be an issue, not sticking or softening of the paint underneath the clear.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
makomike1

Post by makomike1 »

No it is not tape. I was there when the guy sprayed the stripe. I may sand off and just repaint with awlgrip.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Maybe the stripe was not cured or it had wax or an oil film on it possibly from someone's hands.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
makomike1

Post by makomike1 »

Any ideas on how to fix it??
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

You would have to get all the clear coat off the stripe, light sanding I would even wet sand it, maybe start out with 2000 grit and go down slowly, then I would wipe it down with a good cleaner. Not mineral spirits but I am thinking alcohol or acetone. Then clear it again.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I’m kinda confused,the fly bridge was sprayed with a white enamel color and sometime later in the curing process a blue enamel color stripe , then the entire bridge was cleared with something. I’ve not heard of enamels being cleared and don’t understand how one enamel would accept the clear and the blue enamel not accept the clear. Maybe there was was a difference in the paint chemistry between the 2colors and the clear material was not compatible !
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Just a thought...... in the sun the Blue will get much hotter than the white.....may be it's heat related??
hb
makomike1

Post by makomike1 »

I never thought of that. I may just awlgrip it and be done with it. Thanks everyone for your advice. Mike Weiss
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Awlgrip should only be rolled and tipped, if u spray it’s called awldrip, spray with awlcfraft 2000but test to make sure all products u try are compatible with the old finishes, the awlgrip manual is quite informative