Garmin acquires Navionics.. yes, really!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

Garmin acquires Navionics.. yes, really!

Post by IRGuy »

SCHAFFHAUSEN, Switzerland--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN) today announced that it has acquired Navionics S.p.A., a privately-held worldwide provider of electronic navigational charts and mobile applications for the marine industry.

“Navionics has long been known as a leading supplier of highly accurate navigational charts and mobile applications for boaters”
Tweet this
“Navionics has long been known as a leading supplier of highly accurate navigational charts and mobile applications for boaters,” said Cliff Pemble, Garmin president and CEO. “By combining Navionics’ content with Garmin’s BlueChart® and LakeVü™ content, we will be able to offer the best available breadth and depth of coverage to our marine customers. Going forward, we plan to retain the Navionics brand and will continue to support Navionics’ existing customers.”

“Since our founding, Navionics has been passionate about creating products that enhance the boating experience,” said Giuseppe Carnevali, Navionics founder and president. “Garmin shares our passion for serving the marine industry, and is an ideal company to carry the strong brand and reputation of Navionics into the future.”

In addition to a popular boating app, Navionics has developed an extensive repository of nautical charts for oceans, rivers, and lakes. Many of these charts have been developed with Navionics’ proprietary surveys, done both in the field and with remote sensing such as satellite imagery and airborne laser scanners.

Navionics is headquartered in Viareggio, Italy, and employs more than 350 associates globally, who will be retained. Financial terms of the acquisition will not be released.

About Garmin

Garmin Ltd. is incorporated in Switzerland, and its principal subsidiaries are located in the United States, Taiwan and the United Kingdom. Garmin and BlueChart are registered trademarks and LakeVü is a trademark of Garmin Ltd.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Tony Meola

Re: Garmin acquires Navionics.. yes, really!

Post by Tony Meola »

Well this might change my thoughts on what I purchase this winter. Need to replace my Garmin GPS combo unit and was thinking Simrad or Furano but now I may need to think more about this.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
cariedl

Post by cariedl »

I wonder what kind of support/updates the other manufacturers who use Navionics will receive? I purchased a new Raymarine unit earlier this year - this article suggests that support will be on-going but doesn't make clear what that entails. http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/news/gar ... nics-63597

Sure would have been nice to know before I bought the Raymarine...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I have it on my i pad up on the bridge.
Nothing to do with my simrad.
Whats the problem?
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
cariedl

Post by cariedl »

Yannis - as a standalone app on an iPad I would imagine it would be fine.

However, I purchased a new Raymarine Axiom Multifunction display, Raymarine's Lighthouse Software supports a number of different cartography providers including Navionics and CMAP. I particularly liked the Navionics software because I could use it on my phone and sync it to my GPS. The Navionics updates were simple, I would connect the Raymarine unit to my phone's wireless hotspot and they would update on the GPS. I pay the regular Navionics subscription fee every year but I can't help but wonder what kind of support/updates Garmin is going to provide to Raymarine.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

cariedl wrote:Yannis - as a standalone app on an iPad I would imagine it would be fine.

However, I purchased a new Raymarine Axiom Multifunction display, Raymarine's Lighthouse Software supports a number of different cartography providers including Navionics and CMAP. I particularly liked the Navionics software because I could use it on my phone and sync it to my GPS. The Navionics updates were simple, I would connect the Raymarine unit to my phone's wireless hotspot and they would update on the GPS. I pay the regular Navionics subscription fee every year but I can't help but wonder what kind of support/updates Garmin is going to provide to Raymarine.
It would be pretty stupid for Garmin to buy Navionics and then not support its customers. I don’t think you have anything to worry about.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I have to agree with Peter.

The real issue is for all these Manufactures now having their systems tied to someone whom they compete against. I would say that in the future you might see Raymarine etc., looking for another outlet for their new models so that they are not supporting Garmin.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony it would seem to me the future is the data of those Apps. The actual electronics device seems to me to be on its way out as we know it. Black box sonar, GPS and charts built into tablets like an IPad. All wireless. The idea of 5k for a 10” screen multifunction may go away. We can debate that I am wrong or what new tech on boats will look like like but in any case you need the cartography. So from that perspective it seems like a real smart
Move by garmin.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

PeterPalmieri wrote:Tony it would seem to me the future is the data of those Apps. The actual electronics device seems to me to be on its way out as we know it. Black box sonar, GPS and charts built into tablets like an IPad. All wireless. The idea of 5k for a 10” screen multifunction may go away. We can debate that I am wrong or what new tech on boats will look like like but in any case you need the cartography. So from that perspective it seems like a real smart
Move by garmin.

I agree until someone else decides they can capture the Non Garmin market.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315