Vacuflush or electric?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

21B

Vacuflush or electric?

Post by 21B »

Love to get some feedback on which marine head to upgrade to. My 30 Flybridge Cruiser has the old elctrosand unit which needs to go. I need to add a holding tank/dockside discharge. Space is at a premium unless I decide to remove the Gen then I can fit a giant tank! I have always had vacuflush but seems like I can find lower profile tanks to use with electric head. Any thought greatly appreciated!
Tony Meola

Re: Vacuflush or electric?

Post by Tony Meola »

If holding tank space is tight, definitly vacu flush.

I have not seen a 30 in years so I am not sure how she is set up, but on the 31 most holding tanks are outboard of the starboard engine.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

Due to health reasons, have not been on a computer for 8 months. Just read this on my fone & have to STRONGLY recommend a Raritan Marine Elegance tallboy toilet. That toilet is bullet proof & could probably suck down a grapefruit & uses little water. It comes in either fresh or salt water flush or a combination. For the tank I think your best choice is a tank from Roncoplastics in CA. All tanks are a minimum of 3/8" thick. You specify exactly where you want the fittings placed.
Good luck
Al
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

21b,
I would recommend a Galley Maid Electric flush, it fits about the same space as the old unit, has a built in mascreator pump and has stainless steel impeller blades, that will chop bait if needed. The holding tank can go anywhere and with a Y valve and a deck pump out fitting your legal for a Type I system. Just remember if your in a no discharge area you must have some type of lock to prevent discharge overboard, a wire tie will do the trick. Like Al said Ronco plastics makes all sizes and shapes for holding tanks. Vacu flush units are nice but large and costly. Galley Maid is located in Riveria Beach Fl, and are very boater friendly, My complete system was under $500. but I was in the marine industry back in the mid 90's when I did mine over.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Several years ago I replaced an old Lectrasan head system on my B33 with a complete new manual system and waste storage tank. I did a complete writeup on the project which was available for several years on the B33 forum Owner Tips section but seems to have disappeared. It included a couple of sketches and a photo.

If you or anyone else would like a copy I can send one to you. (It is in Microsoft Word format.) Send me an email or a PM here with your email address.

I suggest you be very sure of what you want before installing a new system, because once you install and use it any changes will be rather unpleasant.

Frank B

IRGuy@aol.com
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Unpleasant? Lol !!

I'm abroad and dont have it handy, but I remember of a post about heads where I was asking WHAT might one do if things go sour and the system fails...immediately after the usage...the consensus was that you have to have disposable gloves and a clothespin for the nose.

I then got scared and decided that if and when this time ever occurs, I will buy and install an electric head that shifts to manual if all else fails...I remember I had looked it up at the time and there were very few brands with that feature, I remember a model "fii" or "phii" but I cant recall the manufacturer; I'll look it up in my notes and revert when I return home if someone else isnt faster.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis wrote:Unpleasant? Lol !!

I'm abroad and dont have it handy, but I remember of a post about heads where I was asking WHAT might one do if things go sour and the system fails...immediately after the usage...the consensus was that you have to have disposable gloves and a clothespin for the nose.

I then got scared and decided that if and when this time ever occurs, I will buy and install an electric head that shifts to manual if all else fails...I remember I had looked it up at the time and there were very few brands with that feature, I remember a model "fii" or "phii" but I cant recall the manufacturer; I'll look it up in my notes and revert when I return home if someone else isnt faster.
That was Groco which was what was installed new. Groco does not make the electric unit anymore from what have been able to tell. But that toilet is bullet proof.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,

I did a quick search, it seems that what I was talking about was a Raritan Phii head, not a Groco, unless Groco and Raritan are the same company.
Anyway, this particular model seems to convert from electric to manual and in case one has bought the " just manual" version, they can later upgrade to the electric to manual version if they want.
In my mind, talking about boat problems, drowning is first followed closely by a freshly used head that doesnt function.
Forecasting is difficult, particularly ...of the future (Danish proverb).
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"