Black friggin' streaks

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Black friggin' streaks

Post by Dug »

Alchemy was painted with Awlgrip, and I am getting black stains from the rain that just don't come off with soap and water. I am hesitant to use any secret potions for fear of screwing up the paint. In the old days with gel coat I would just polish it out with some cleaner wax. No more.

Help!!! Please??

How do I get rid of this stuff??? Without wiping down the whole boat with denatured alcohol????

Primarily on the top sides, not the hull. Interestingly the hull comes clean!!!!

Not the white topsides.

Thanks!

D
Pete Fallon

Re: Black friggin' streaks

Post by Pete Fallon »

Dug,
I used Star Brite Marine Polish with Teflon for all the black streaks. I found that after the new paint sets up for a year or so you can use acetone to get rid of the black stuff. Good luck.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

P21S total auto wash. You can get it on autogeek.com.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
neil

Post by neil »

Hey Doug, it's junior. I use scotchguard marine liquid wax, the black should come right off by just lightly hitting it with a hand applicator. Hope all is well
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

usually get stains off the toe rail, install a drip guard under the stainless steel rub rail to divert the water from the hull

i just paid attention it says mainly topsides- its just environmental fallout washing down, suggest trying to keep the boat washed more often or at least hosed down every few days when we dont get good rain to rinse

a coat of awlcare might not hurt either
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Dug - most likely diesel soot run-off from our fly-by this past Sunday. I goosed the pre-emmission Yanmar 4lh-ste's as we went by Groton Long Point and helped with the mosquito population in your area. I know you wanted to stay away from cleaner waxes, but ours was painted with Awlcraft 2000 in 1998, and has had Marykate Maxiwax yearly, and if 3m boat soap with smooth/soft bristles won't remove dark streaks mid-season, it gets a bit of a hand applicator just in that area. The paint is still very good, and was recommended by the painter via Awlcraft 2000 when painted. I probably won't get down your way until after Labor Day, so you should be good for a few weeks...
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Dug you probably don't want to hear this but I use wet 0000 steel wool on water line scum. My paint is Imron and it gets the crap off and as best as I can see does no harm to the finish. I wax it afterword and it shines like a new marble! Just sayin..
Last edited by MarkS on Aug 24th, '17, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Shit rolls down hill, literally on boats. Wash from the top of the hard top down, favorite soap down here is turtle wax zip wax. Cheap and doesn't strip waxes. Ifou haven't washed the tippy top ever you may need harsher product to cut dirt and black molds.

Awl care is a life saver for any of the awl craft boats, if your straight awl grip then a simple cleaner wax should do. Worse case a little finesse it by 3m used by hand will do wonders, just rinse the residue off. If your not washing or chamoising at least once a week the boat is dirty.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I get a lot of black streaks on my bridge-----I think a lot of the streaks come from the bridge cover---I wash the boat weekly but the cover not so much----I usually use pure wax or cleaner wax (Mothers) ---streaks come off fairly easy.