Soooooooo it appears I'm back in the game

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

thuddddddd

Soooooooo it appears I'm back in the game

Post by thuddddddd »

still waaaaaay to smart to buy a RLDT...... but not smart enough to not get a project.... should be picking it up this weekend and running it north with the professor

Thuddddddd
Last edited by thuddddddd on Jul 27th, '17, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Re: Soooooooo it appears I'm back in the game

Post by Tom »

What you get Timmy?
Glad you got a boat driver in MO
Viva la Presidente!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Lets start the pool.

Another Hatteras planter box? No a Sea Ray.

For those that know Thudd, what are the thoughts.

Timmy, you are lucky that UV is not here to chime in. He would have fun with this one.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Good for you. What happened to the express project? Gone by the wayside?
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

the weeds took over dan
he cant even find it
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

Timmy, you are lucky that UV is not here to chime in. He would have fun with this one.

I was just telling timmy last night that I missed
thous two going back and forth
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Tim,

That is a true North Carolina classic; congratulations. Originally built in High Point, NC, the Hatteras plant was moved to New Bern on the Neuse River where it still operates today. The Hatteras 34 was modeled after Hatteras Hull #1 which was a 41' Hatteras named "Knit Wits" because the company was founded by some business men in the textiles (knitting) business. The Hatteras fiberglass yacht "Knit Wits" beat the Bertram fiberglass "Moppie" to the market by about a year. Although Hatteras has had it's ups and downs (like most yacht builders), we are very proud of Hatteras Yachts here in NC. Note that the early home ports of Knit Wits include Venice, LA; Uncle Vic's old hangout; and a later Pinas Bay, Panama, another Uncle Vic hangout (Tropic Star). Following is a write up on the first Hatteras yacht, Knit Wits:

The First Hatteras, Knit Wits

The first Hatteras wasn't just important for Hatteras, it was also historical for the marine industry by being the first fiberglass production boat over 30 feet.

She was the brain-child of Willis Slane who had a passion for marlin fishing. His wooden boat was not often up to the challenge of rough Cape Hatteras seas. Pulling together a cadre of textile executives as investors, Slane commissioned a young naval architect, Jack Hargrave, to design it as a “convertible,” a combination of sportfish and family cruising boat.

The boat was built far from the ocean in High Point, North Carolina. She was trucked over two hundred miles to Morehead City where she was launched.

Aptly named “Knit Wits,” because of the textile industry connection, she was christened by Slane’s wife, Doris, on March 22, 1960 only four months from the beginning of the build. Following the launch, Knit Wits spent a short time as a company demonstrator. Later she was bought by Sam Robinson and W.B. Fox with his two sons Richard and Brooke, all from New Orleans.

The new owners wanted to have a boat that could take them a hundred miles offshore in the Gulf of Mexico to fish for marlin at the hundred-fathom curve. Renamed Sabalo, Spanish for tarpon, she was kept in Venice, Louisiana, the last settlement before the mouth of the mighty Mississippi River.

In 1968, Sabalo was sold to Dr. Warshaw and his wife. They fished the boat and cruised to the Bahamas three times. His experience with the boat made Dr. Warshaw a Hatteras enthusiast and in 1972 he traded her for a brand new 45-foot Hatteras convertible.

Within days of the trade the boat was bought by Miguel Carco and was taken to Piñas Bay, Panamá to take advantage of the excellent fishery there. At some point Carco left the boat on a mooring at the Balboa Yacht Club at the Pacific entrance of the Panama Canal where a hose failed and it subsequently sank.

In the mid-seventies Ted Albrighton, an employee of the Panama Canal Company, bought and raised the vessel. He would spend the next eight-years attempting to restore it. However, Albrighton never was able to get her in usable condition.

One of the original investors in Hatteras Yachts, Dave Parker, who had become president after Willis Slane’s death in 1965, came up with the idea of finding the first Hatteras boat and restoring it for the upcoming twenty-fifth anniversary. The company’s records only went as far as having Miguel Carco as the owner. In the summer of 1984, through a series of investigations it was discovered that the boat now belonged to Ted Albrighton.

Parker asked Curley Cook, who helped build Knit Whit when he was only 17, to see if he could buy it back. Cook flew to Panama and found Albrighton who was reluctant to let his boat go, however, after several days of negotiation he was able to complete the deal.

Cook, and a crew he had flown in, repaired the boat to the point it would float, had it towed through the Panama Canal to Colon and put her on a freighter headed to Savanna, Georgia. From there she was then trucked to High Point where the entire factory staff greeted her. It was 10:00 a.m. on Friday, September 7, 1984, nearly a quarter-century after she was launched. Many of the original employees were on hand.

Every employee at Hatteras had a hand in the keel up, complete restoration. The window frames had to be re-manufactured by the company that had provided the original extrusions. A new pair of Detroit Diesels were added and systems were added to meet the environmental regulations. All the deck hardware was still intact. They were removed and restored including the original Lee outriggers and rod-holders. The restoration was completed just in time for Knit Wits twenty-fifth anniversary.

In 2013 Knit Wits was restored a second time and shown alongside Hatteras’ latest models at the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show. Built in 1960, today she is 55-years new.

https://www.marinemax.com/-/media/image ... 99B92DD3CD
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Should be a fun refit.... Have a new 8000sqf steel building that it will spend the winter in getting refit... maybe even throw s set of high hp oil slinging dump truck motors into it ... Still have the Tubb..... if this goes ok.. I may even restart that project.... (though I doubt it) .....
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Thanks for the history lesson tommy ..

BTW .. when I first bought the Tubb... I had been searching for 34's (preferred them) but got sucked into the bigger is better trap... I would have been way ahead of the game to have stuck with the 34 from the beginning
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
neil

Post by neil »

Timmy if you still have the ac unit from the tubb it should fit in that bigger window good luck my freind
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

A couple of 8V92's should work well in her...........
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

mike ohlstein wrote:He got a 34 HatterASS. Cheep.....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qd699htyn63x ... 6.JPG?dl=0
They all start off cheap . . .!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Me thinkith we should update our avatars..........or not
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Timmy

Old UV would have had a field day with Tommy's Knit Witts. I bet he would have said fitting for Thuddddddd!

But it looks like this time you purchased a real running, working boat. Lets see if it stays that way or winds up next to the Tubb.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

DanielM wrote:Good for you. What happened to the express project? Gone by the wayside?

yea.. the costs involved in fixing the mess (over confident) I made would either take up way to much of my time ... or too much of my money .. if I used someone elses time ... and in the end... it would have been a hard sell at the price it would have had to go for ... so .. the page got turned on that .. I still have it .... maybe one day if I get more money.. or more time... or I get back on the crack pipe I might start it again
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

got sucked into the bigger is better trap...
I understand that comment. I'd be miles ahead if I had stuck with the 25 Bertram that started me down this never ending project boat road. Mine is still languishing in the shop, maybe I need to borrow that crack pipe you mentioned and get back to work on it.

Nice looking boat, glad you went with one of those fancy boats that actually run this time. I hear they're the bomb.
Carl

Post by Carl »

DanielM wrote: Nice looking boat, glad you went with one of those fancy boats that actually run this time. I hear they're the bomb.

Huh, I thought the last one ran before you got started on it...
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Huh, I thought the last one ran before you got started on it...[/quote]

not so much.. it was always a time bomb...

this one is kind of intresting... low(ish) hour efi mercruisers .. reasonable performance numbers .. 225 gal of fuel.. I'll run her the rest of this year, do the interior over this winter.. run her next season then decide on a repower or not
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

[/quote]

I understand that comment. I'd be miles ahead if I had stuck with the 25 Bertram that started me down this never ending project boat road. Mine is still languishing in the shop, maybe I need to borrow that crack pipe you mentioned and get back to work on it.

Nice looking boat, glad you went with one of those fancy boats that actually run this time. I hear they're the bomb.[/quote]

should be fun.. at the very least I'm in cheep enough that it won't hurt to much if I hate it
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Timmy,
Saw the boat at Indian Cove this morning. I am local if you need anything. 516-749-3660.
Harry
John F.

Post by John F. »

Nice boat. Congrats. I get the never ending project boat thing--its a disease.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Timmy

As for the 41 I will fill in for Capt Pat and lend you my chainsaw !

So the story behind that is back in Montauk at a Rendezvous we are on Brewster boat heading out for a ride. Tim starts asking Captain Pat about what material to use for bulkheads and his response was " Timmy I tell you what I will lend you my chainsaw so you can fit it into a dumpster" I almost choked on my beer.

I think that was about 10 years ago.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
neil

Post by neil »

Dan I was on that boat ride fun time to say the least,my first memory of timmmmy was when the kids were going to shuttle him back to the mainland on the dingy and told him he was to drunk to board,but we all still love him welcome back thudd
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Timmy

All joking aside, best of luck with her.

Good to have you back. You have been away too long.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Huh, I thought the last one ran before you got started on it...
lol - while I've done that on some of my automotive endeavors, the boats both came as pre-made projects.

I brought my CC30 Tournament Sportfish home in cardboard boxes and coffee cans full of bolts. Worked on it several years and got it exactly how I wanted it. Used it a few years and my fuel tank delaminated. Then I let it atrophy due to other life issues. The Bertram 26 came complete, but with one seized engine and it hasn't made it to the top of the broke stuff list. But it's time is coming. I actually like working on stuff when I can put the time to it.

Glad Timmy bought one running. Welcome back Thudddd.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Timmy

All joking aside, best of luck with her.

Good to have you back. You have been away too long.

What Tony said
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tim you have the most important part of the puzzle solve that is a rain tight structure to work in and temporary heat for the winter.listen to me" measure twice and cut once" live by it! we can stay in contact on Facebook. cummins 6CTA will put you into a nice 29- 30 kt cruise but first we have ti check balance with mercruisers.-----------good luck
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote:cummins 6CTA will put you into a nice 29- 30 kt cruise but first we have ti check balance with mercruisers.-----------good luck

Bob, can you work up the numbers for a pair of 6-53TA's....semi freshly rebuilt.

Sorry Tim....welcome back.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

no carl the carters will not take for junk must truck it ourselves middle island wrecking yard .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Welcome back Tim!
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

LOL JP! My son in my avatar just graduated from HS.
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Carl

Post by Carl »

JohnV8r wrote: My son in my avatar just graduated from HS.

Must be a very smart boy to skip so many grades...or just looks young for his age?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Carl wrote:Huh, I thought the last one ran before you got started on it...
DanielM wrote:
lol - while I've done that on some of my automotive endeavors,

I cannot exclude myself from that club...

Took a Jet Ski for a non payment...it ran lousy.
I pulled motor out, had starter rebuilt...took motor apart, lots of sealing issues...corroded bolts stripped not pulling surfaces in tight enough...made new gaskets, got it all back together and ran good. Built a trailer to unload from pickup onto trailer then into water. Wife would not ride in and around harbor as water was less then the cleanest...so built a bracket to tow right behind my old boat. Towed that Jet ski 13 miles to the beach and found out...you either tow these things backwards or need to plug the intake. When I stopped the boat to anchor...Jet ski sank. I pumped it out, got it to turn over...but by time I got it back to shop it needed a whole lot more work then I was prepared to do again...so it sat and sat till it was dumpster ready.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Last edited by thuddddddd on Jul 27th, '17, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Classic........congratulations Timmy.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

THudd,
Please don't turn this one into a planter or a place where your dog pisses on. Nice looking boat.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Big thing are coming for little tub. Had the first gunwale meeting this week. Huge things
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
neil

Post by neil »

Timmmyy,if she does become a planter I will not only design it but I will do the planting myself,you are in good hands with jp onboard .good luck my freind
scot

Post by scot »

It's Timmy the Thud! and with a cool boat. Nice find, the 34 Hatt is a classic. I think that hull is about 2" thick LOL. Basically Timmy proof! Welcome back.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

scot wrote:that hull is about 2" thick LOL. Basically Timmy proof!

I thought the same thing about the first one, but where there's a will there's a way.

He has some pretty big saws.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

mike ohlstein wrote:that hull is about 2" thick LOL. Basically Timmy proof!

I thought the same thing about the first one, but where there's a will there's a way.

He has some pretty big saws.....

I'm pretty sure I hate you ......

Had the mech on board tue.... pulled the water pumps for rebuild, supposed to be back today or tomorrow .... the transmission coolers were full of impeller.... a couple missing hose clamps on various wash down pumps .... generally his overview was you found me a really good deal...

after gallons of pinesol the forward bilge isn't a stinky mess .....

Jp was aboard for a visit.. and has a "list" Mark Porior was on and had a few ideas..... also a couple long phone consults with Dan Sullivan ....I've floated some of them by Kathi.. and she's signed off on most of them

Actually pretty excited about this (and kicking myself in the ass for not buying a 34 to start, like I wanted to ) ...
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

is a hot tub in the cockpit
in the plans
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

if the tranny coolers were full
what did the heat exchangers look like
1968 hull # 316 - 757