Replacing GPS and Sonar

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Replacing GPS and Sonar

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Hey guys hope all is well. Been so busy these days with the kids haven't had much time to post but I do keep up reading along.

In any case old electronics are shot. I want to flush mount on either side of the dash which restricts me to 7" displays. Thinking about a new pair of Raymrine Axiom 7s. Any thoughts?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Navatech

Re: Replacing GPS and Sonar

Post by Navatech »

PeterPalmieri wrote:Hey guys hope all is well. Been so busy these days with the kids haven't had much time to post but I do keep up reading along.

In any case old electronics are shot. I want to flush mount on either side of the dash which restricts me to 7" displays. Thinking about a new pair of Raymrine Axiom 7s. Any thoughts?
When I saw the title of the thread I was going to say "have a look at the new Raymarine Axioms" so I guess I'm saying go check them out... Keep in mind that they're new on the market so there won't be much of actual long term user experience...
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

A bunch of folks I trust are recommending the Garmin 742xs. Have to do my homework.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I saw the Garmin over the weekend. Awesome.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

FWIW, I put Simrads on my B31. They've worked great.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i removed all raymarine electronics,big job taking down that 4kw open array on extension ladder holding that monster over shoulders .went for my lungs convincing myself "this is your last dance" purchase Furuno (2) 12" nav-net T Z touch 2 displays ,digital/Doppler radar ,PG-700 smart heading sensor,cam-buss back bone and put it all together with ethernet hub 101. even went for the ethernet couple Fussion radio. what the hell i sold my other 67 corvette now i have only one. wife did not say a word! no motor cycles and no race corvettes feel like a mushroom in the garden!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

bob lico wrote:i removed all raymarine electronics,big job taking down that 4kw open array on extension ladder holding that monster over shoulders .went for my lungs convincing myself "this is your last dance" purchase Furuno (2) 12" nav-net T Z touch 2 displays ,digital/Doppler radar ,PG-700 smart heading sensor,cam-buss back bone and put it all together with ethernet hub 101. even went for the ethernet couple Fussion radio. what the hell i sold my other 67 corvette now i have only one. wife did not say a word! no motor cycles and no race corvettes feel like a mushroom in the garden!

Faruno has been always top of the line, but I hear Garmin is starting to give them a run for their money. Simrad used to be up there but has somehow lost its way.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony i had very expensive 1kw ray marine transducers needless to say much easier to upgrade my ray marine because Furuno transducer are 10 pin system and ray marine work on 7 pin .NYPD harbor tap me on the shoulder and said "60 years on the water captain in your whole life on the water did you ever see military,NYPD,FDNY,DEA,DEC,SCPD,NCPD marine ,and any other critical life saving or commercial boats ever have anything other then Furuno"---------------------sold
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

bob lico wrote:tony i had very expensive 1kw ray marine transducers needless to say much easier to upgrade my ray marine because Furuno transducer are 10 pin system and ray marine work on 7 pin
There are ways to make a cross over connection...
bob lico wrote:NYPD harbor tap me on the shoulder and said "60 years on the water captain in your whole life on the water did you ever see military,NYPD,FDNY,DEA,DEC,SCPD,NCPD marine ,and any other critical life saving or commercial boats ever have anything other then Furuno"---------------------sold
The likes of the military, NYPD, FDNY, DEA, DEC and so forth have deep pockets... Commercial boats have a need for the high-end reliability and capability of Furono... However, these come with a pretty steep price tag...

Let's take computers for example... 99% of people don't need a workstation/server level of machine... Not even gamers!... Apple's newest professional desktop model comes in at over 4K!... Now, before you go into the "Apple is overpriced crap" mode you should note that a similarly tricked out PC/Windows based system comes in at less than 10% cheaper cost...

My point is that for the vast majority of us the "consumer" level of the products offered is quite reasonable in terms of value for money, reliability and capability... Now, if your life/livelihood depends on getting the best then go for it...
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

no motor cycles and no race corvettes feel like a mushroom in the garden!

Bob-
I bought my first boat--a 45' Shain Trimmership--years ago from an old timer who had used it a lot but finally aged out. About a month later when he wandered back down to the dock I asked him how he liked life without a boat. He told me "Doug, my wife put me to work in the garden. I'm walking around with Beauti-Bark in my pant cuffs!"
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Furuno tz or Simrad evo, neither will steer you wrong. Simrad is still the best pilot and interfacing simrad to simrad is very easy via nmea2k if your looking at expanding either system Furuno has better big radars but anything up to4kW is about equal, the had and 4g/halo stuff is great.
Good luck
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I decided to go with a pair of Garmins 742XS and then a 742 networked together. They'll be flush mounted and I can add the radar if I want down the road. I've got a a pair of 454s so it's not a canyon boat, I shore fishing and family fun trips. I won't need an auto pilot or night vision. And I'm going to use my existing transducer that I had put in with the foruno fishfinder so I won't have chirp or side scanning.

They all seem to be in the same price points what attracted me to the garmin was the easy to use software and that any of their radars interface with the unit from the smallest dome to open array. On my little boat I had ray marine and have been dealing with outdated stuff on the Bert for the last 7 years so anything is a real upgrade at this point.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

It's getting there. The plan is to get everything on the bridge where I want it and then worry about new panels. Ultimately I need the bridge to be painted. Almost 50 years of old holes.