B25 express trailer needed

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bo Toepfer

B25 express trailer needed

Post by Bo Toepfer »

Hello Folks I have some old Bertram brochure showing this hull weighs in at 4800 lbs, My question is what type of trailer are you using?
Southern Maryland
Keep seeking the treasure!
Howesounder

Re: B25 express trailer needed

Post by Howesounder »

Mine is a double axel, bunk style with an adjustable support that lands about where the front windows meet the deck. Seems very happy on this trailer. I have lost some weight with an amstrong bracket, and a single 30" mercury 150.........but probably only a few hundred pounds or so.

Steve
Waytooslow

Post by Waytooslow »

bunk tandem axle around 6500 lbs capacity. Lots of pictures of it here: http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-how ... hread.html
1963 B-25 Project (in process)
Atl. GA
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Nextrail triple axle 8000 lbs bunk 70 mph string straight down the slab. Brand shiney new I think I gave $4500 for it in 04.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Knotme

Post by Knotme »

My twenty-five mark II came with a home made aluminum tandem torsion axle trailer. tire size st215/75p14. It is a larger tire size than the trailer under my dusky 21 but the trailer itself is only 28' long and the frame is 7.5' wide at the widest not including wheels. The boat has no fuel engines etc so it is light, but it had the full fly bridge etc. I pulled it from Hialeah onto the 836 over the turnpike onto us-41 and home to Naples. We did pull an oversize permit for the route and I also got a blanket oversize for the year. I can tell you this, I replaced the hubs, bearings, and tires before I left Hialeah. I plan on pulling it off that trailer and putting it on my buddies newer trailer, a continental aluminum rated for 8500lbs just because I like having a trailer that is much higher in rating than my load. It seems to have less bounce. But the boat pulls nice, fits in the lane and under the overpasses etc. I plan on trailering my boat weekly and distances like Naples to Homosassa and To Marathon. I think the most important thing you can do is replace the entire hub-bearing assembly yearly, keep the old set of four in a giant storage bin for long trips with plenty of hi-temp in a tub. Keep a couple extra tires on the trailer and always look at the springs and u-bolts every month, replace when they look scary, a sawzall cuts them quick.
Waytooslow

Post by Waytooslow »

My only comment is to got go too far on the overcapacity trailer. Years ago I pounded the analogue engine gauges to death on a boat with an overcapacity trailer on a long trip.
Atl. GA
Knotme

Post by Knotme »

Are you saying that too big a trailer is bad? And if so is it because the springs are not bouncing enough? WOW if so never gave it thought like that! Could you use different springs on the heavier trailer to change the ride?
Waytooslow

Post by Waytooslow »

Knotme wrote:Are you saying that too big a trailer is bad? And if so is it because the springs are not bouncing enough? WOW if so never gave it thought like that! Could you use different springs on the heavier trailer to change the ride?
Yes that was my experience. I see no reason on a leaf spring trailer that you could not swap springs or pull a couple of leafs out.
Atl. GA
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I have an older trailer that I rebuilt for sale but I'm in mass. It's torsion bar suspension, 8000+ GVW. NEW BRAKES,DRUMS,BEARINGS,TIRES,ACTUATOR ,BRK LINES, LIGHTS. It's 85 rollers, $3800
Mitch