Bob knows what he is talking about

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kiffa
Standing Member

Bob knows what he is talking about

Post by Kiffa »

I was one, who in the past when Bob spoke of weight distribution to make our boats ride much better, was a little skeptical.
I figured moving things around to get as much weight aft would not do much for our boats. Bob has allot of experience racing boats and our boats are cruisers and slow fishing boats. This last statement is where i was wrong, our hulls were initially racing hulls that were converted to become cruisers and fishing boats.
A couple of years ago, whilst searching Florida for replacement engines, I found a sister ship Bahia Mar which was partially restored, and the owner had brand new Cummins stored away. He wanted to sell them together. I only wanted engines so i offered the boat to a friend.
My friend has never raced professionally, however has always been into speed, having owned several go fast boats including Fountains and Donzi.
This hull sat in his boatyard for several years until he decided it was time to finish her off. This is where he went "crazy". The boat had allot of very nice work done to her already and all the stringers and bulkheads were redone and strong. He then covered the engine holes with deck, strengthened the stern incredibly, and put on a pair of 350 Mercs! The work done on the boat is beautiful. The amount of cockpit space is unreal.
I was still skeptical as to how this boat would run. When she was launched her bow was pointing at the sky, i thought that he had for sure made a mistake.
Then we went for a run, she climbed effortlessly to over 50 knots, she did not wet, she did not pound.
I have been on just about every version of 31' with just about every engine package, and this boat is the best riding by far!!
Even with 20 people on board, she will get up and fly.
She is a little tender at rest, and i am sure at troll, (he will never fish her).
Closer to home, i decided to redo inside my Bahia Mar cabin. I took out every inch of wood and replaced with Nidacore. It is amazing how much wood, ie weight is in this tiny bow. The boat lifted out about 2". She now rides better, is dryer, and slightly faster, a different boat than before, not as good running as the outboards, but still much better.
My next project would be to use the reduced angle struts, maybe Bob can advise on angles, and is there somewhere to purchase them or are they custom?
So in conclusion, Bob knows what he is talking about, with all that he has done to his boat, i can only imagine how well she rides, if anyone is tackling a rebuild, pay special attention to Bob's advice, and you should have a better ridding 31' than stock.

CamB25

Re: Bob knows what he is talking about

Post by CamB25 »

Can you try again with the images? I would love to see that boat! thanks
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank you for the atta boy however let me say this ;racing in the seventies comes with a price .those were days of open cockpit and three man bolter seats at 70mph you may be in two footers but the second leg of the three leg mandatory course lay out is usually into the ocean with same speed and now 6 to 8 foot waves you come down hard and damage your spinal cord ,it hurts to this day..i look at 31 bertrams today and see the chines at the last five feet toward the trasom completely out of water WTF!!!!! why can`t you see what i see .the reverse chines together with increased rudders keep the the boat from chine walking, and stablizing side to side trim but most of all it tells me your bow is in the water!!!!!!!!!and the boat is letting the first 3 ' of bow guide the boat thru rough water .i could never understand no knowlege of drag from "wet area" or trim tab putting a mis balance even further into the water.ok you don`t have a travel lift to play with how about getting a friend in a faster boat ride alongside you in 3 to 4' waves and photo what the boat trim angle looks like.when you hit a 4 foot wave head seas does it crest 4 to 5 feet back from bow and give boat lift or does it hit bow and sent water up windshield area.take a note here and ask yourself WHY was richard bertram and navigator sitting near the transom on that famous race in 1960 that made bertram,think about it!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Kiffa
Standing Member

Post by Kiffa »

I hope the pictures come through this time and the video.

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Kiffa

Great pictures. The boats look great.

Who did the updates for you?

As you know, outboards on a 31 are not seen very often. We used to have a member who converted a 31 to a center console with outboards and loved it. The Fly Bridge cruiser with outboards looks unbalanced to me. Yours look great.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

fabulous use of colors on a Bertram hull. gold bootstripe------------you won!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Not sure whats nicer, the water, the scenery or those boats! All together its just wow!
Your bud did a great job on that 31...sure is a show stopper!

Kiffa, your not the 1st to agree that Bob knows what he's talking about.

I met Captain Patrick at the same rendezvous I met Bob. Bob gave me the grand tour of his boat, explaining every change and why it was made. That get together I believe is when Bob had routed his fuel through a cooler. Bob was telling how it would give a little extra economy. Captain Patrick gave me an elbow jab, nodded toward Bob and proceeded to ask if it was really worth it? Bob went off on to how each little, seemingly inconsequential modification gave him his speed, maneuverability and economy and how bringing motors down, variable pitch props, long board the strakes, light weight interior etc etc. With that Bob was pointing out the items up front he had lightened, heading into the cabin. That's when Captain Patrick leaned over and said he liked setting Bob off with the "is it worth it"...and that what Bob was saying is entirely true. He agreed every little modification he made from weight distribution, to lowering shaft angle to this last fuel chilling mod, added up, 1/8 mile more here, 1/16 more there, add a knot here, a half there.

I gotta go back and look at those pictures again...beautiful boats in a gorgeous setting.
Beats looking out my door at snow and ice...
captbone

Post by captbone »

Beautiful boat. Thank you sharing. Amazing performance numbers and glad to hear about the ride quality.

Glad to see a turning of the tide toward outboards. It used to be a dirty word around here.

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... t=Outboard
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

The Bahia is the only 31 that I might consider outboards on, although a VERY knowledgeable friend from Montauk told me that there is a 31 with outboards at Ocean Reef that is phenomenal and runs great !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Great pictures!

Is it just me, or does that Bahia look completely out of balance with all the weight in the stern? Looks like it would handle like a water ski.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
neil

Post by neil »

Cam my thoughts exactly
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Wow! That all looks excellent, hard not to smile thinking of the fun you are having.
I'm curious, what are the air intakes on the side of the hull for?
Best,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Kiffa
Standing Member

Post by Kiffa »

Yes the Gold boot stripe really does make the blue come alive. I will ask him to send some interior pictures. Looking at the pictures with her running so bow pride i can see why one would think she would be a off balance and act odd but she does not, at full throttle you can let go the wheel in a decent chop and have zero fear of her misbehaving. Could you get to view the video i posted? Its not the best quality, but if you can, we were doing about 40 mph when she blew by us.
As for the side hull vents, remember she was partially redone for Cummins, so there were already installed, they looked good so he left them, no function at all.
I tell you what, the best way to really see the boats, ocean and scenery, is to come down!

Chris
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

" look at the picture of her running bow proud" 10 years been trying to explain this also reverse chine digs in and boat does 90 degrees on a dime!!!!!!!!!!! ASK me how i know!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Catalina31

Post by Catalina31 »

Chris,
The boats look epic and I couldn't agree more with everyone about the colors being spot on! I'm heading down for a week on the 11th of next month for my Honeymoon. Any recommendations on a charter trip? We will be there for a week.
-Brian
Brian Vanderspek
B38 Off Hand BERL1215M82
Sold B31 Fun 'N' Games 315-174-1285
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Kiffa

Was in St. Lucia way back when. Pretty Island, but the roads were another story. Drove the Island. Took about 8 dam hours. Longest 8 hours I ever spent in a car. Highlight was the one lane road, with a drop off and another car coming the other way.

One day hope to make it back.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Kiffa,

Beautiful boat and scenery. Well done.

Captbone,

Funny about the old posts on outboards. Seems I remember one string years back on how terrible outboards were. The string was getting out of hand and someone posted something goofy about outboards being so bad his neighbor's outboard motors had snuck into his house at night and killed him in his sleep. It was a goofy post at the time, but I always think about that when folks are dogging outboards.
Kiffa
Standing Member

Post by Kiffa »

Hi Brian,

First off congratulations! I am flying out from the 7th to the 18th, hopefully you will be around when i return. Either way i will pm you my number and email, and i will get you sorted on a trip. Right now the fishing is pretty good, Blue Boy released a Blue marlin but lost a big yellow-fin yesterday afternoon whilst out on a half day trip, and i just called the guys a short while ago and they released another Blue!
Lol yes Tony, the roads were very bad, allot better now, still drops, but safer!
captbone

Post by captbone »

60mph out of a 31 Bertram is pretty amazing.

Outboards today are quiet, smooth, no smoke and give amazing performance in a compact package. Mercury offers an 8 year warranty and now Evinrude is offering a 10 year warranty. That should help to quell some thoughts on long term durability.

I would love to see some interior shots of that boat when you get a chance. The open space has to be almost 11' x 20' of deck space.
'
Kiffa
Standing Member

Post by Kiffa »

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Kiffa

Is he going to put a top on her? That tropical sun would be brutal all day long.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Kiffa
Standing Member

Post by Kiffa »

Yes he does have a Bimini on her now.
captbone

Post by captbone »

Stunning boat. For a cocktailing, fun boat it is ideal.