scuppers / switch panel on flybridge

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

spencer

scuppers / switch panel on flybridge

Post by spencer »

What is everyone using for the scuppers/ I put in a Cabrera deck and trying to plan the best option
1, option is th marine has square plastic scuppers with a flap that will fit for sale
2, option I have seen what looks like pvc, cut in 1/2 across the scupper opening

also what would people consider to be important to control on the flybridge with a switch panel?
nav lights, bilge pumps, live well, flood light, deck lights, anchor light, under water lights

curious what everyone has done

Thanks
Spencer
Rawleigh

Re: scuppers / switch panel on flybridge

Post by Rawleigh »

These are what I use. They have held up very well.

http://www.downwindmarine.com/Transom-S ... 02735.html
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

spencer wrote:what would people consider to be important to control on the flybridge with a switch panel?
nav lights, bilge pumps, live well, flood light, deck lights, anchor light, under water lights
I kept the switches at the helm to a minimum with bilge pumps, underwater lights, etc. all in the cabin at the breaker panel. I just have ignition, running lights and instrument lights.
I did add a stereo mute switch to the helm which I think of as a safety item. The stereo is controllable by Bluetooth but I did not want to be fooling with my phone if I needed to be heard in the cockpit or the cabin.
Best,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
spencer

Post by spencer »

Thanks for the links and the recommendations
Going to do a sea trial first (intercostal)with a basic system to test running gear
Steering and exhaust , I'll see how she sits in the water

It has been a long road getting it done
But a learning experience for sure

Spencer
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rawleigh wrote:These are what I use. They have held up very well.

Rawleigh

Do these hole patterns line up with the original chrome scupper rings?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Rawleigh wrote:These are what I use. They have held up very well.

I also have those...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Tony Meola wrote:Do these hole patterns line up with the original chrome scupper rings?
Nope... The original chromed scupper rings I found on my boat had a plastic flap of some sort... They were very hard and obstructed the water flow significantly... And, they really didn't obstruct water flowing back...

The original chromed scupper rings look better but, for me, it's function over form and taking into account the fact that they're mostly hidden from sight under the swim platform so the choice was really obvious...

I didn't throw away the original chromed scupper rings and I didn't increase the cutout... So, if I ever sell her the new owner can make up his own mind on the subject...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Unless we have different ones, these stock scuppers have 8 holes, so they obviously don't match.
However, it's not so difficult to seal the old holes and make new ones.

1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Nav & Yannis

I still have the original scuppers. The flap is rubber and I made a replacement when we re-powered. Took a while to get a piece of rubber that was thick enough and yet flexible enough to let water run out.

I have never had a problem with the water getting out, but I like the idea of the flapper since that keeps water out much better, plus, my neighbors leaves will wash out better. The leaves get caught and clog up the scupper. After every storm, the guy across the lagoon and I have to go out and pretty much vacum out our boats. He mumbled something about cutting them down in the dead of night.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,

You mean the plastic flapper that pivots freely as opposed to the rubber one that although flexible is more rigid and cloggs with the leaves. I agree. But it's too much of a hassle for me to change the scuppers just for this.

Consider that the 28 is very dry, even with bad weather, so there is really very little water coming on the deck that needs to find a way out. And then, to have leaves you have to have vegetation. The tallest tree in the Aegean is parsley.
My only reverse is at 500rpm while mooring and I never back down as I dont fish.
Lastly, there is not one single drop of rain from May to September...all these together make me keep my old scuppers.
But for climates and activities like yours, you are right, you need to be extra careful.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Tony Meola wrote:I still have the original scuppers. The flap is rubber and I made a replacement when we re-powered. Took a while to get a piece of rubber that was thick enough and yet flexible enough to let water run out.
The problem I had with original scupper was that the flap was just as good as allowing water in as at allowing water out... Clogging was a secondary issue...
Yannis wrote:You mean the plastic flapper that pivots freely as opposed to the rubber one that although flexible is more rigid and cloggs with the leaves. I agree. But it's too much of a hassle for me to change the scuppers just for this.
Nope... The plastic flapper that I have and the way it's installed mean that it will open very easily to allow water (and crud) out but a surge hitting my stern will actually keep the flapper closed by pushing it against the frame and hull... Unlike the original which would easily allow water to flow into the cockpit...
Yannis wrote:My only reverse is at 500rpm while mooring and I never back down as I dont fish.
Yep... Backing down on a fish will not only push water back through the old scupper but you'll actually get water over the stern... Another reason I wanted the scupper to be as little an obstruction to outgoing water as possible... Installing them was a simple matter of putting in some screws...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Nav

I never had that much of an issue with water coming in from the scupper. Even backing down on a fish. Actually, if I can, I actually would try to put the fish on the stern quarter and run ahead of it to cut it off. Yes sometimes you have to back down.

Yannis, my biggest worry is not rough weather or heavy rain getting out of the cockpit, it is that wave over the stern. I have to go in and out one of the worst inlets on the east coast. While they have over time made it a considerable better inlet it is still white knuckle at times. You haven't lived until you hear someone in the cockpit yelling frantically go go go, as you are coming in an inlet, and you look back and there is wave looking to crash down on you.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Tony Meola wrote:I never had that much of an issue with water coming in from the scupper.
My problem wasn't that I had water coming in... My problem was that the original scupper flaps were hindering water from flowing out...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Never had a flow out problem either, but then again, I never had 1000 gallons of water crash down into the cockpit. Close but the 31 is like a cat and can scoot when metal is put to the pedal.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315