Ahoy Bob Lico

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

Ahoy Bob Lico

Post by JohnV8r »

Bob,

I just came across this post of yours regarding muffler relocation of the 6" Vernatone mufflers to make room for your fish boxes.

http://www.bertram31.com/bb/bbs.cgi?noframes;read=75141

Do you still have any pictures of this? I'm trying to visualize how far forward you went with the mufflers.

Thanks,

JohnV8r
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
bob lico

Re: Ahoy Bob Lico

Post by bob lico »

john i place the 6" muffler just behind the rear bulkhead between the hull side and the first stringer. i cut a piece of 6" exhaust exactly in half (10') and used one piece for port and i piece for starboard this places muffler in the deepest place in hull the deck clears by 1/2" and no need for surge tubes trust me i tested in 6' sea as fast as i could go in reverse!!!!!!!! captain patrick loved this and jump on my boat to see this first time we met.6"----impossible "well seeing is believing" he never forgot from that time on.-------------sure miss him.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Perfect! That's what I needed to know.

I miss Patrick too...

Thanks Bob!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

john let me clearify one step; 6" exhaust hose comes in 20' lengths so i cut exactly in half and put transon end into 6" bronze thru hole adapter and the front end directly into muffler 6" output . look at muffler input you will see the large convex fiberglass shield this piece stops the water surge.the photo was taken prior to cutting exhaust plus clearance 6" hole in bulkhead!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

If you are still tight for space, JP used a smaller diameter muffler. I think it was made by veratone.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony that one does not have anti surge ability and smaller ID.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

john this is a finish view of exhaust . i had to take up part of cockpit to run controls for trolling valves .this is forever pirelli silicone 6" exhaust hose with 70 degree 6" fitting on the horizontal instead of 90 degrees for less contrictive exhaust flow before the short piece going to muffler.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Thanks Bob! I really appreciate it.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

John,
As Tony stated I used a smaller diameter exhaust profile, actually bob higgins 6",nel jr 5" and I 6" used the same type.
It's a 6" centububular centube. It's 6" continuos and will have a louder note at idle but be very quiet running and trolling. It allows for install further outboard as it is narrower then the veratones 8" bubble.

Chimera had surge tubes as do the other installs and therefore was protected, unless your using an in line check valve like primex makes or a rubber flapper on the exhaust flange I would recommend surge tubes.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
neil

Post by neil »

We installed the five inch and could not imagine anything else ,they are out of the way and quiet only problem is Jr wants them too sound loud kin,da like the Brewster boat nothing like the sound of no mufflers ,to be young again dad says keep itquite. But you all know they sound mean without exhaust kinda like the Brewster mobile
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Neil

Years ago, before the Bert, my father had an old Zoebels Sea Skiff. Straight pipes. Coolest sound ever.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315