Why some should not be given a powertool.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Why some should not be given a powertool.

Post by Carl »

Just came across this post in Swap and Sell section and reminded me of something.

Re: Original 1 3/8 Struts and original rudders with posts

Postby Tony Meola » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:30 pm

John Nardi wrote:
Ha!! Thank you Capt. Patrick and others...I think that was the toughest part of the entire demolition!!

Tony wrote: As I have said before, that is why they invented the sawzall.

Reminded me of a guy that ran aground, bent wheel, shaft and rudder. He got hauled, yard mechanic gave quote that he thought was too high so opted to do work himself.

He was having a tough time pulling wheel, shaft was stuck in cutless so decided to just cut them out.

Prop was still on, shaft stuck in strut when he came in with this.

He said, he just needs a little glass work.

Some people should not be allowed to use powertools....

...yes that is the hull still attached to strut and rudder port.
Navatech

Re: Why some should not be given a powertool.

Post by Navatech »

You can't fix stupid...
Dug

Post by Dug »

Holy hell what the ######?????
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Two comments...

I have a passing acquaintance with a neighbor who likes to fish from a local pier, and he came to me one day with an idea for a rod holder he thought we could build and sell. I designed a basic unit that we could assemble from readily available materials and built a prototype, which he tested and suggested his friends at a local fishing pier might want to buy. I made several parts kits (including pre boring the screw holes), and gave my friend the pieces telling him he could assemble them on his own time, that I had other things to do. He asked me to help him assemble the first one and I agreed. I gave him one kit and a box of 10 wood screws, and a screwdriver. He held the screw driver in one hand and a screw in the other. He looked at me and, I swear, asked me "Which way do I turn the screw?".

In regard to the photo above.. I realized there is something to be learned even from this situation. I have never seen a complete rudder port assembly out of a boat before.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,
This is the "complete rudder assembly, with some boat" sandwich version!
Just to tell them apart from the simple "hold the boat" assembly version !!

I also propose to use the title "Which way do I turn the screw" in each thread that is asking a question, from now on!
I find this phrase so unbeatable that I admit I spent a few minutes reading it, trying to realize if I miss something !
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
John F.

Post by John F. »

Carl-

That's just awful

Dug/Yannis-

Maybe the guy had an old mopar?
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:I also propose to use the title "Which way do I turn the screw" in each thread that is asking a question
There's a simple English expression for that: righty tighty lefty loosy...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Ho, ho, ho, as per the Xmas equivalent !
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

John, mopar?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

Was it not PT Barnum that said there is one born every minute? What was that guy thinking. Obviously he is not afraid to cut things up.

Yannis

Mopar is a Division of Chrysler. Chrysler car parts ie water pump etc are produced under the Mopar name.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

Mopar/Dodge/Plymouth had left-handed wheel lugs and nuts on the left/driver/port side wheels at least in the late 1960s. So, for those it'd be rightly-loosely, lefty-tightly. I broke a couple studs changing a tire on my new to me 1968 Plymouth Satellite before I figured it out. Those kinda lessons last a lifetime
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Carl

Was it not PT Barnum that said there is one born every minute? What was that guy thinking. Obviously he is not afraid to cut things up.

What the guy was thinking...I really don't know. Kinda doubt he was thinking at all.
I kept my mouth shut...other then a few times I know I repeated...you cut the hull?? Cause all I kept thinking was, he cut the hull.

The little got was he wasn't paying that mechanic that much for that work.
He did however not mind going to him for information on how to do it...

Me, knowing mechanic very well...If presented with a shaft that won't come out of coupling...shafts in in mediocre condition at best, he cuts it out. Grabs the Sawzall and cuts shaft right after the coupling, slides it all out and done. He saves enough time to justify new shaft and split coupler.
My guess from what I got, he said shaft was stuck, mechanic more then likely said to Cut it out, a couple others in yard agreed. As shaft was not stuck in coupling, but strut, he cut the strut out. Rudder shaft was stuck in rudder port, he cut the port out. Quick and easy... I think very little thinking was involved on his end.

I'd really have liked to have probed his thought process, why he didn't unscrew the bolts to drop Strut, the rudder port, bolts were not tight or gobbed with goop. Or for that matter or clean rudder shaft, loosen packing gland to drop rudder, cause shaft was fine and came right out... But he was kinda arrogant, not listening to the little I did say and I did not want to be involved in his project anymore then I needed to be. So it was dis-assemble, straighten, send out wheel, clean up...re-assemble...with hull pieces and I was done.

I really wanted to find out how he was planning to do glass and install.
But thought best to zipper the lippers.
Carl

Post by Carl »

John F. wrote:Mopar/Dodge/Plymouth had left-handed wheel lugs and nuts on the left/driver/port side wheels at least in the late 1960s. So, for those it'd be rightly-loosely, lefty-tightly. I broke a couple studs changing a tire on my new to me 1968 Plymouth Satellite before I figured it out. Those kinda lessons last a lifetime
Lots of older machine arbors and tooling have LH threads. I learned after a few good tugs...try the other way. Or if you can get a glimpse of the threads...take a look, trace thread direction.
So for me its Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey, unless its not.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Same rule for me Carl. Lesson learned is to check before you really start cranking.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

CCW threads are most common on CCW revolving items... It being thought that this would make them less likely to come loose... I believe this comes from the days that locking washers let alone thread glue were unknown...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John F. wrote:Mopar/Dodge/Plymouth had left-handed wheel lugs and nuts on the left/driver/port side wheels at least in the late 1960s. So, for those it'd be rightly-loosely, lefty-tightly. I broke a couple studs changing a tire on my new to me 1968 Plymouth Satellite before I figured it out. Those kinda lessons last a lifetime
John

I forgot all about that. Trust me I changed many a tire on Chryslers products and now that you mention it I remember that. Was not a hard lesson for me to learn, since may father made sure from day one working for him I clearly understood that. He just never said remember that into your old age.

I wonder if they still do that.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Tony Meola wrote:I wonder if they still do that.
I've had 2 Town & Country and 1 Crossfire in the past 10 years... None of them had that... Yes, I know the Crossfire is really a CLK-320 dressed up differently ;-)

Tell you one thing, that was a fun car to drive!... And the high end radar detector with front and rear laser disruptors was really needed!...