2017 NC Rendezvous

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tommy

2017 NC Rendezvous

Post by Tommy »

The following email came from Capt Lin Spears, the leader of the NC rendezvous:

Greetings to the “faithful” community of BERTRAM.

Just thinking ahead for our 2017 events. We plan to maintain the tradition of celebrating all things BERTRAM on the first weekend AFTER Memorial Day which will be June 2 and 3 in the Morehead City/Beaufort, NC area.

Of special interest is that the family of our beloved bertram31.com leader, Capt’n Patrick, has asked us to allow them to memorialize him during our event and possibly scatter his ashes at sea. This will offer a new twist to our events but will be appropriate as Capt. Pat felt strongly that our group reflected the spirit of BERTRAM in our love for the brand as well as for each other. In addition to a small group from his family, I suspect some brothers from across the country will join us in 2017.

Final details and plans will be outlined at a later date but until then, please advise me if you have any questions or thoughts on how we might make 2017 special. Also, if you have friends who need to be included in my mailing list, please advise.

Thanks.

Lin Spears
NC Bertram
RAPSCALLION
Wilmington, NC 28403
910-228-8456 Mobile

www.crystalcoastnc.org
neil

Re: 2017 NC Rendezvous

Post by neil »

Thanks tommy ,capt surely put together a large group of friends that became family ,we all loved him and miss him a lot.putting his ashes out to sea on a 31 is the way he would want it,god bless the faithful
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

A fitting tribute. He will be smiling down for sure.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bring any pics from past events with Pat, and any other of our passed brothers. I'll bring some pvc foam board up with me to mount them on for viewing. I have early pics from the flop house with Pat, UV and Snow.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Outstanding!
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Bruce wrote:Bring any pics from past events with Pat, and any other of our passed brothers. I'll bring some pvc foam board up with me to mount them on for viewing. I have early pics from the flop house with Pat, UV and Snow.
Bruce: I have a ton of pix I took at a Connecticut get together the year UV passed away. I have a bunch of pix of Capt. Pat as well as many others....if you would PM me your address, I'll put them on a thumb drive and mail them down to you. And please share them with Pat's family as well.

Best regards,

Tom
neil

Post by neil »

Tom please forward pats family addreese to us ,we have a few pics that his family would love to see .we have pics of the first rendezvous that we attended uncle Vic and pat together in Newport . I will never forget he referd to uv as his platinum spark plug thanks Neil ps I found this website when bobby cross died in Aruba and my neighbor told me that he heard about it thru the Bertram site, you and I have a mutual friend named Norman who I see in Aruba from time to time
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

You can send any pics to me at,
Bruce Creamer
C/O
RMC
3520 Consumer St #5, West Palm Beach, FL 33404

I will make sure anything designated to Pats sisters will get to them.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tommy

Looks like I may have convinced the wife to make the trip. I would assume if I make reservations in the next two weeks I should be ok. Do you have any idea as to how busy it will be down your way in early June?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hi Tony, delighted to hear that you are planning to join us! Here is a good link to get you oriented to NC:

www.crystalcoast.org

The weekend of June 2-4 should not be terribly busy cause the weekend before is Memorial Day weekend and the schools are still in session through the first week of June. Unfortunately we do not have a central marina for all the boats to gather, so we are scattered about with a function on Friday evening and one on Saturday. The Friday evening cookout is normally on Atlantic Beach which is a 10 minute car ride from Morehead and 15 minutes from Beaufort. Capt. Lin Spears is our faithful leader and he is working on a short boat run on Saturday to a destination to be announced. Those who don't come by boat can always arrange to hop on a 31 (or 20, 25, 26, 28, etc) and hitch a ride. Stay tuned for more details from Capt. Lin of the B-31 Rapscallion.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Oops, correct link is:

www.crystalcoastnc.org
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

I made our reservations today, at Palm Suites in Atlantic Beach. They have a boat ramp and I'm planning on trailering my 20 Moppie "Jabba Jaws".

It will be nice to see old friends and new ones too.

-John
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

John - how many nights did you book there and how far from the festivities is that?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tommy wrote:Oops, correct link is:

http://www.crystalcoastnc.org
Tommy

Thank you. Really trying to make it down. I figure it is a 10 hour drive from North Jersey.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Tony,
What's this trying crap. You have to come.

Mark,
Atlantic Beach is not far just over the bridge and down the road. I will be staying on Atlantic Beach and will have 3 spots in my truck if someone needs transport.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Hey Mark, I booked 1 to 5 Jun with Thursday and Monday as travel days.

As for location it shouldn't be too far from Friday's event and Sat by boat to ??

-john
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Correct John,

Beaufort, Morehead City and Atlantic Beach are all within a 15 minute car ride (20-30 minute boat ride), so come on down. My # is (919) 880-0832 if I can help anyone.

Tommy
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tommy,
I keep your number, yet after Gibraltar is it far?
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:Tommy,
I keep your number, yet after Gibraltar is it far?
Nah... Just a hop and a scotch... <grin>
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Yannis,

After you clear the Strait follow the setting sun 3,179 NM to Bermuda for fuel and then continue westward another 780 NM toward Morehead City Ports and ring me up when you pick up a cell signal. Looking forward to hosting both you and Navatech from the Med!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

That would be nice Tommy, thank you.
Perhaps next time...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Greetings to the faithful, and thank you for your patience while awaiting the details of the 2017 NC Rendezvous activities schedule. I will also post this announcement on the other threads that refer to the NC Rendezvous. There are two basic events on the schedule, with lots of free time for the participants over the course of the weekend:

Friday, June 2nd at 6:00 PM: Pig-Picking cookout at Causeway Marina at 300 Atlantic Beach Causeway, Atlantic Beach, NC 28512 (the sign on the building says "Al Williams Properties"). Gather here for fellowship, food and beverages. We look forward to meeting the faithful who will be coming from around the country for their first NC Rendezvous, especially the family of Capt. Patrick McCrary.

Saturday, June 3rd: Participating boats will gather within the Morehead City Ports Turning Basin at 9:30 AM for a short flotilla cruise (destination TBD based on weather). Event planners will coordinate with Capt. Patrick's family regarding an "ashes at sea" memorialization, and we will share details for all who care to attend. Around noon (or before) the participants will gather at Harkers Point on Harkers Island for a hamburger and hot dog cookout hosted by the Maxwell family. The Harkers Point festivities will include lunch, a time of fellowship and inspection of the various Bertram boats, as well as a time of reflection and remembrance of our beloved Capt. Patrick.

This website provides information on the "Crystal Coast" area which includes Atlantic Beach, Morehead City, Beaufort, Emerald Isle and Pine Knoll Shores: www.crystalcoastnc.org

The closest large airport is Raleigh-Durham Airport (RDU), which is about 3 hours from Morehead City. A smaller airport is located in New Bern which is about 45 minutes from Morehead City.

Unfortunetely there is not a "central venue" for the weekend, but the two main events are held at great places. There is no "fee" to attend the events, but a bucket will be provided so guests can contribute toward the cost of the meals. All of the faithful who are coming by boat will be given the opportunity to host some of the out-of-town guests who are "boat-less". This will provide our guests the opportunity to enjoy from the water this part of God's beautiful creation that we so enjoy.

It is important that participants RSVP directly to Lin Spears if you received his email, or you can RSVP to me at: tdrake31@gmail.com or by cell at (919) 880-0832. The reason for the RSVP is the obvious food count.

Thank you to all the sponsors who have helped fund the event (all anonymous); and thank you to the late Capt. Patrick for bringing this motley crew together via bertram31.com back around 1999!
John F.

Post by John F. »

I was planning on attending, and was looking forward to paying my respects to Capt. Patrick, and seeing old friends and meeting new ones. My daughter's birthday is 6/2, and she really wants to do a family thing. So, I'm going to miss the NC Rendezvous. Hope everybody has a great time. Safe travels.

John F.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

You will be missed, John, but you definitely have your priorities in proper order; you continue making memories for the children while you can!
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks Tommy. Enjoy. Please post up some pics when you get a chance
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

It's almost as if I was there......

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Yeah.....

That's just a cell phone shot. I took plenty of pictures and will post a bunch when I get home.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

This was a day well spent my friend.
Last edited by MarkS on Jun 4th, '17, 05:28, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

wish I could of made it
I know you guys had a great time, the southern hospitality
is fantastic
1968 hull # 316 - 757
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

nice pics mike
looks like a great time as usual
and a great send off and tribute
to Capt patrick
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Looks like the weather was great too! Wish I could have been there but family obligations called instead!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Raleigh I bet you had a nice time as well. Lehann and I really enjoyed ourselves. You along with a bunch of others I always wanted to meet would have enhanced the fun but it was a great time none the less. My new motto; I came, I brought cheese, I constipated the crowd, I left.
Pats sisters and husbands are of the finest sort as well! Meeting Mike, Bruce and his family, Tommy and his brothers, Terry Frank, Lin Spears and a bunch of quality boat owners was just frosting!

CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Looks like nice weather for a boat ride!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
John F.

Post by John F. »

Looks like a great time and a fitting tribute to Capt Patrick and UV. Thanks for the sharing the pics. Beautiful boats.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

it was a great time! the venue is beautiful, the people friendly, the companionship outstanding, and the weather couldn't have been better.

Meeting Captain Patrick's two sisters and their husbands was a privilege.

The day could not have better. Thanks to Lin Spears, Tommy Drake, and all the others who were instrumental in the planning and execution of this event. I think Captain Patrick was smiling down on us. He would have been proud!

Rest in eternal peace my friend.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Glad everyone had a great time. Was hoping to make it, but had workers running around the house.

A fitting send off for Capt. Pat. Was looking forward to meeting everyone.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

It was an excellent memorial for Captain Patrick. His sisters put together a very nice photo album and written eulogy giving an overview of Pat’s life. That complemented the stories people shared about their time with him. As was mentioned above, a fitting tribute. They also paid tribute to the others that had gone before, both from the B31 board and the local NC Bertram family.

The venue and the area was absolutely beautiful, the weather was outstanding and the local Bertram participation was excellent. Many good looking boats. The NC coast is something to see. My wife and I also enjoyed meeting Patrick’s family and visiting with both new and old friends from the B31 board.

I cannot say enough about the hospitality of the folks from North Carolina. Lin Spears, Tommy Drake, Terry Frank and a host of others made us ‘out of towners’ feel at home. Saying Thank You seems inadequate, but my thanks are heart felt. If any of you are ever in the Houston area please give me the opportunity to try and reciprocate.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

DanielM (I will use Board names), it was great having you and your wife join us from Texas! Likewise, it was great seeing some of the other out-of-towners that frequent the Board: Frank "IRGuy" (Wilmington), MarkS and wife (Wisconsin cheeseheads), John Cranston and wife (Texas), Bruce, Shirley and Lily (S FL), Mike Ohlstein from Long Island and others that I'm sure I've failed to mention. My two brothers ran Eddy's B-20 Sportsman from New Bern to Atlantic Beach for the event and RussP brought Barbara Jean (both the wife and the B-31) down from Pine Knoll Shores. Lin's 31 Rapsacallion, Runyon's 31 Buddy Boy and the Crittendons B-26 Critter ran up from Wrightsville Beach. A beautiful flag blue B-31 that is new to the area joined us (my memory fails as to name) as well as two other B-26s. The Williamses B-31s Sawdust and Hat Trick reside at Causeway Marina, and the Williams family provided a great pig-pickin cookout on Friday evening. The Maxwell family (thank you, Ann) hosted the entire fleet at Harkers Point Saturday for a cookout under their beautiful stand of Live Oak trees. Terry Frank, Marianne and Chris hosted a large contingent of out-of-staters for a fabulous dinner at the beach on Saturday night. So thanks to all who made the effort to travel so far to honor Captain Patrick.....which leads to the "rest of the story".

The last boat Capt. Patrick ever build was for a client, Mr. Hancock, in Texas and was completed 4-5 (?) years ago. The boat is typical of Patrick's craftsmanship and is exquisite. Not only does it have Capt. Pat's fingerprints all over it, but Bruce provided, delivered and installed the Yanmar engines and completed the mechanicals. The name of the boat is "Rattle and Hum", and as fate would have it a NC family recently purchased the boat and brought it to Atlantic Beach where it is berthed at the Causeway Marina with Sawdust and Hat Trick. The Weaver family owns the boat and David and son Hudson (who skippers the boat) invited Capt. Pat's sisters, Debra and Dayna, and their husbands, Mike and Russ, to be their guests running to and From Harkers Island. So after the Saturday cookout Patrick's family and Bruce's family were on the last B-31 that they ever rebuilt together, and Pat's sisters were able to honor Pat's dying wish of spreading his ashes at a Bertram Rendezvous from the Bertram 31 "Rattle and Hum". A sincere thanks is extended to the Weaver family for their kind hospitality.

To help you with Mike's great photographs, I offer the following narrative: Photos 1-5 were taken at Causeway Marina; 6-13 as we gathered in the NC Port Turning Basin; 14-17 we are running to Harkers Point; 18-25 we are rafted up in the Harkers Point basin; and 26-28 are sisters Debra and Dayna honoring Capt. Patrick off the stern of Rattle and Hum!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

The beautiful-flag blue B-31 is John Stanley's Salty Sato; thanks John for joining in!
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Great pic's.
Thanks for sharing Mike.

What a great event.
Someday....
1971 31' Bahia Mar hull# 316-1035
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I will be collecting the pics and videos for a new post here soon.

Thanks to all who attended and to those who I never met but knew from the board, it was a pleasure.

A big thanks to Tommy Drake who is as humble as they come but was instrumental in making this work and is the finest host you will find.
Thanks to Russ and Barbara for sharing their beautiful home for a visit, while short, it was a nice way to leave NC.
Thanks to Terry Frank and son Chris for his tremendous hospitality and board support.
Thanks to Runyon for letting me run his 31 to Harkers.
The Williams and Maxwell families were terrific hosts.
Lin Spears for being the point man.
Mean Team leader Mike.
Thanks to my wife for her Sat morning prayer.

While the ride up to NC had me leaving no hope for humanity while driving 95 with low information voters, the Bertram gang gave me hope.....only to be dashed again driving home.

A big thanks to my Grand daughter who came with us and made the trip all that much better. On the way home she remarked what a great time she had and how really nice everyone is.

One last thing that gave me a smile. Unless you are a part of this family and been to events you don't quite get it. Pats family always knew what this Bertram gang meant to him. On the trip back from Harkers, one of Pats's bil remarked, I really get it now.

What a fitting tribute to our founder.
Thanks brother Pat, like Bertram, your legacy will live on.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bruce

Somehow, Capt. Pat put together a special crew.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Captain Patrick's name will always be synonymous with Bertram31.com. His untimely departure leaves the rest of us who knew him with the responsibility to carry on with his legacy of friendship, respect and mutual helping each other. New members will join without being able to know him, so it is the job of those of us who did to carry on with his legend.

Rest in peace my Captain.. till we meet again.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Looking forward to more pics Bruce! This was a great time for Lehann and I! It was a true luxury to meet you, Mike, Tommy and his brothers, Terry Frank, Pats Sisters and brother in laws as well as a bunch of others who offered up some fine southern hospitality! It was great to see Frank (IRguy) and his wife Bridgette who put us up and put up with us for 4 days, and my old Texas compadres the Cranston's and the McKinney's. This was way past due! I really regret not being able to shake the hands of Pat, Walter, and Uncle Vic. I do have some mighty precious emails, phone conversations, and a cook book though.

Rapscallion

Re: 2019 NC Rendezvous

Post by Rapscallion »

panpan panpan panpan......hello all stations....urgent marine information broadcast.....standby all stations channel 16/21 . The North Carolina Bertram Rendezvous will resume for the 17th season on May 31 and June 1 in and around the Morehead City/ Carteret County area. All mariners should take great caution on land or sea for 24 hours ahead of and after this event. All BERTRAM enthusiasts are encouraged to attend. For more information contact Lin Spears / BERTRAM 31 RAPSCALLION 910-228-8456. Over and out.