What can you tell me about this B26?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Oldcreek

What can you tell me about this B26?

Post by Oldcreek »

(I just found the answer to my question. 1979 Fantasy Flybridge. Not a Bertram. Sorry to waste your time.)

Hi all, thanks in advance for any info!

In looking for a new project, I found this boat for sale.

It's listed as a '79 B26. It has features that I haven't seen on other B26s on the internet...
Raised deck, hard chine at rear sides, I/O placement, etc.

I assume it is not a Bertram?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Wil

[URL=http://s345.photobucket.com/user/w ... .jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=http://s345.photobucket.com/user/w ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Last edited by Oldcreek on Feb 21st, '17, 21:47, edited 2 times in total.
Wil M.

1969 B31 Bahia Mar w/ Factory Hardtop
2014 G3 14'
Craig Mac

Re: What can you tell me about this B26?

Post by Craig Mac »

100 % not a Bertram-----some of the lines are similar to an Allmand ----the spacing of the outdrives seems wrong-they are very far apart.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

That doesn't look like a Bertram 26 to me...
Oldcreek

Post by Oldcreek »

Ironically, I JUST found a similar boat on Craigslist...

1975 Fantasy Flybridge

Sorry to waste your time...but now what do I do about the Bertram bug that bit me?!

Wil
Wil M.

1969 B31 Bahia Mar w/ Factory Hardtop
2014 G3 14'
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

It is either an Allmand or a Sea Bird.

The early Allmand, 60's and 70's were well built. Tough little boats if that is what it is. I believe you will see a bird emblem on the side if it is a Sea Bird. The Allmand said Allmand on the side of the cabin.

Some how I think Sea Bird and Allmand had a relationship at one time. I do know that Allmand went bankrupt. There is a company that is operating using the Allmand name to build and sell boats, from what I hear, it is not the same company no matter what they tell you.

One of the reasons Allmand went out of business is that when oil prices jumped in the 70's and other manufactures thinned out their hulls to cut costs, John Allmand refused to skimp and they priced themselves out of business.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Oldcreek wrote:Ironically, I JUST found a similar boat on Craigslist...

1975 Fantasy Flybridge

Sorry to waste your time...but now what do I do about the Bertram bug that bit me?!

Wil
Simple be like all the others on this board, buy the Allmand restore it and in the meantime find a bert, restore it and have two boats. It seems to be a disease that passes around our little group.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Tony Meola wrote:Simple be like all the others on this board, buy the Allmand restore it and in the meantime find a bert, restore it and have two boats. It seems to be a disease that passes around our little group.
Boats are like rabbits... You can have one or many but never just two...

<grin>
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Navatech wrote:Boats are like rabbits... You can have one or many but never just two...<grin>
Nav

My wife makes sure the rabbit can't breed. LOL
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Tony Meola wrote:My wife makes sure the rabbit can't breed. LOL
I'm sure your Admiral is a formidable one... Having said that, did you miss out on the "birds & bees" talk?!... A single rabbit can't breed!... LOL...
Carl

Post by Carl »

If you do go with that boat...I think those are OMC outdrives.
Things may be different now...I recall them being pretty good units, but very hard to get parts for...and that was 35 years ago.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Navatech wrote:I'm sure your Admiral is a formidable one... Having said that, did you miss out on the "birds & bees" talk?!... A single rabbit can't breed!... LOL...
Nav

I have not as yet met an Admiral that is not formidable. But as to the birds and bees, I sat in on that discussion. But for some reason when I put a Bird and Bee together in a closed in cage, it just did not go well. Never could quite figure out what went wrong. LOL
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

This is a B26

[imgImage][/img]
John F.

Post by John F. »

Nice looking B26. She looks ready to fish
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

John Yes, set up for Salmon. Lake Michigan, NE Wisconsin Door County, Washington Island and area. Unfortunately Salmon Fishing is seriously down.
Have owned and been fishing this boat 30 yrs this Season so no complaints. Actually many complements every season. I know you guys don't care for IO's
but they allow me to bring her into a small sheltered bay and moor her at my 100' dock. Sunset views with a Bertram in front of my home I consider myself
very fortunate.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Chanse

Nice looking 26. Shows what keeping a boat in fresh water can do for it.

We don't hate outdrives. Every system has it's place. It's the hanging of outboards off of a 31 FBC a lot of us have a problem with. If I had a 20 to 26 foot boat, I would consider outdrives. They are more economical to run than a shaft system, deliver more push since there is no angle like you get in a shaft drive boat.

Has the salmon run started yet? Don't think you are frozen in this year.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Chanse

my B26?

Post by Chanse »

Tony, Plenty of ice cubes floating around, still running the ice breaker car ferry. June would be early, Anyway I'm where water and boats move and fish jump, Fl until Apr.
Yep, having lived on the salt for a few years I truly appreciate fresh water.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Who hates outboards?

True, I don't want a chunk of alum hanging off the back of my boat IF I have an alternative. But can't beat the economy, simplicity, trailer-ability, ability to get in low water and maneuverability with them.

Outboards are nice too...they have a place, but I like to sit and look back behind my boat...whether just taking it all it, fishing or cruising, I don't want to sit and look back at motors. I also don't like they are not inboard in simplicity.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Carl wrote:Who hates outboards?

True, I don't want a chunk of alum hanging off the back of my boat IF I have an alternative. But can't beat the economy, simplicity, trailer-ability, ability to get in low water and maneuverability with them.

Outboards are nice too...they have a place, but I like to sit and look back behind my boat...whether just taking it all it, fishing or cruising, I don't want to sit and look back at motors. I also don't like they are not inboard in simplicity.
IMHO outboards are real good for RHIB's, speed boats, ski boats and so forth... On a Bertram, not so good... No hate... I just don't like the looks... I'm also not a fan of gasoline onboard...