Rudder tie bar

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mack

Rudder tie bar

Post by Mack »

Boat has been hauled and wrapped for a little more than a month so I started to work on some of the nit pick projects a few weeks ago. Spent some time cleaning out the bilge - yes, after 12 years of ownership I still find random screws, nuts, washers, etc. Back by the transom I pulled out a few handfuls of rusted metal. Turns out the tie bar between the rudders has started to corrode in a big way. I painted it about 10 years ago when I replaced the deck and repainted it with rustoleum about 5 years later when some surface rust started to appear. Now that some larger chunks have started to fall off, its probably time to replace it before it gives out altogether.

I suppose Danny at High Tide has some sort of replacement but wanted to check here first to see what others in the group have done. I suppose the deck will need to be pulled - not that big of a deal but I only want to do it once. I am guessing there is a stainless replacement or something better than what is now in place. Curious what others in the group have used.
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
Tony Meola

Re: Rudder tie bar

Post by Tony Meola »

Mack

Now is the time to check the rudder shelfs. If the tie bars are that bad the shelf can not be that far behind, assuming it is original. May want to think about converting the steering while you are at it. Best move I made to get rid of the old cables.

When I repowered the diesel shop had a stainless steer tie rod made up at a machine shop he used. If you can weld and or know a machine shop, you should be able to make one up pretty easily.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Tony Meola wrote:When I repowered the diesel shop had a stainless steer tie rod made up at a machine shop he used. If you can weld and or know a machine shop, you should be able to make one up pretty easily.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

mack
I had my tie bar replaced last year
you don't need to pull the deck
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Buck Algonquin has them in SS and had the SS balls and the tie rod ends in bronze.

http://catalog.buckalgonquin.com/catego ... ccessories
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Charlie J:

What did you do?

did you pull it through the hatch?
Carl

Post by Carl »

If Jockey bar doesn't fit through hatch and you don't wanna pull the deck...make as a two piece with a threaded coupler.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

Hueso wrote:Charlie J:

What did you do?

did you pull it through the hatch?
yes thru the hatches
I have 3 in the back by the transom
but as carl stated you can go 2 piece with a coupler
1968 hull # 316 - 757