NC rendezvous

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

NC rendezvous

Post by bob lico »

can somebody fill me in on the exact location of the NC. rendezvous.my son and i would like to cross the "atlantic" directly from fire island inlet long island to Virginia fuel up and run the coast to NC. need date,marina location,slip availability, and go to guy at marina. we will put Phoenix into the wind and be there as a tribute to capt. patrick.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob H.

Re: NC rendezvous

Post by Bob H. »

I was thinking the same thing Bob. Have to get a great weather window. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Morehead City is where the inlet is at from the ocean. The rendezvous is at Harker Point at Harkers Island. Not far away at a great place surrounded by short water depth. Like boating in the Great South Bay. Let me know. Got condo and places to be.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

I am sure that there are many from NC that would love to meet you. Your bad ass boat is intimidating for us mere mortals. My cell is 252- 885- six one four six. I am confidant that Lin Spears will jump on this opportunity. Still have a UV banner. Best regards,
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Bob i would be honored to have you come to my house by car and you me and anthony make the trip together. i would go in a straight course to cape may nj crossing the best fishing grounds . never charted the course but phoenix will run 400 miles at 30.as long as we don`t have head waves i cam maintain 27 in 4 to 5 footers. i feel we owe it to the captain to make our presents and i would like to make the trip with you and harry if he can make it.think about it!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank you terry i will call and i will be there one way or another. bad weather i will cross to jersey and hug the coast.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Terry is the Bertram ambassador for this neck of the woods, so I'm glad he jumped on. There are four communities in close proximity that are served by Beaufort Inlet: Beaufort, Morehead City, Atlantic Beach and Harkers Island. The 2017 event is tentatively scheduled for Friday and Saturday, June 2nd and 3rd; but we will await final confirmation from our humble leader, Capt. Lin Spears of Rapscallion fame.

Typically there is a pig-picken on Friday evening around 6ish at a venue to be finalized. Then on Saturday morning all the boats gather at the Morehead City Ports Turning Basin for a short run to Harkers Point where we enjoy a time of fellowship and refreshments and a burger cookout. Depending on the weather and the sea conditions, we sometimes make the 9-mile run out to Cape Lookout and enjoy viewing the lighthouse and the wild banker ponies, then go to Harkers Island for the cookout.

We would love to have both Bobs and the rest of you guys join us this year so you can enjoy the the NC hospitality that Capt. Pat enjoyed on several occasions. I sure do miss Patrick.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

For those of that may want to drive down, are there hotel rooms in the area? Not sure if the boat will be ready by then, need to get an oil leak fixed.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Mark S and I were trying to find a way for he and his wife to visit us here in NC and run up to Morehead City for the day but it looks as if they won't be able to make it. I do plan on driving up myself though. If another one of the faithful can and needs a place to stay we have plenty of room so let us know.. you are welcome to stay here.

How about it Tony.. sooner or later you and I have to meet!

Does it make any sense to make this an annual thing in remembrance of Capt Patrick?
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

morehead city is this inland from the crazy inlet with the dangerous barrier reef that is spoken about so often on the tv show wicked tuna? as i recall two professional captains hit the bridge concrete supporting members and the barrier reef is impossible to navigate during change of tides.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bob, on the TV wicked tuna show the boats were running out of Oregon Inlet from Wanchese, and the town close to that inlet is Nags Head, not to be confused with Morehead. Oregon Inlet is the northern border of Hatteras Island that forms the Outer Banks along with Ocracoke Island. These two islands are separated by Hatteras Inlet which is south of Cape Hatteras. If it gets snotty you can enter Oregon Inlet and run south down the Pamlico Sound to the Neuse River and take the ICW to Morehead. Come on down; we'll leave the porch light on for you.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tommy as i chart this trip i stood back and realize this venture is over 1000 miles round trip ! that is in a straight line from fire island inlet fuel up in Cape May and find a place to dock and walk a bit. next day cape may, NJ to Morehead, NC,. a bit of a trip and counting on decent water on two days prior to rendezvous.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Frank

I am going to try to make this one. So hopefully we will meet.

Just need to admiral to agree to come along.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

I bought my boat from Wilmington and ran it home on the icw it took 5 days minus drinking way too much tied up at night and mechanical failures it was a really nice run
Pamlico sound nuese river dismal swamp all pretty cool
gplume

Post by gplume »

Bob H-
If you need someone to make the trip with you, I am game.

Bob L- Same.

Be nice to get a couple or boats or more from the "great north woods".
Giff
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Bob H
..... If you run the "big boy" down, I will gladly kick in for fuel ... and we could arguably get a few other guys too.
Not quite like a 31 from the NE, but possibly an alternative ...... plus it helps the weather window a bit.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
neil

Post by neil »

Steve you are sounding like a spoiled brat, if bob h brings the big boat even I will jump on board in Manasquan and fill that thing with fuel bob know our inlet well but do you think it's right to show up in a huge boat, keep me posted Jr is thinking of a hatter as trip last week in May to get together with a group of guys from our inlet that do the trip every yr and he would love to attend the NCAA rendezvous in NC if the time frame works
John F.

Post by John F. »

Take a look at ducking inside at Portsmouth, VA and taking the ICW to Morehead City. We did that run in one day years ago, and it was really pretty. It's about 210 miles as I remember. Running around the outer banks is a long trip and not known for the best weather.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

As John F stated, the trip down the ICW from the Norfolk area (entrance to Cheasapeke Bay) to Morehead City is doable in one day with decent weather (I've done it twice). There is one lock on the ICW called Great Bridge Lock in Chesapeake just south of Norfolk on the South Branch Elizabeth River that opens on the hour (I believe) and a highway bridge in close proximity that also needs to be opened. I take the Albemarle Chesapeake Canal route if I'm trying to make good time, as the Dismal Swamp Canal, though very rustic and scenic, has a 17-mile (if my memory is correct) no-wake zone. After you cross the Albemarle Sound the ICW will take you south down the Alligator River and then through "the ditch" to Belhaven on the Pungo River (or you can run the open Pamlico Sound south to the Neuse River). You will then cross the Pamlico River and transit another section of the ditch to the Neuse River which the ICW takes to Adams Creek, another section of the ditch that will take you to Beufort/Morehead City. As is always the case, wind and weather will dictate how pleasant the trip will be; but either way, the run from Norfolk to Morehead is a great adventure. As Uncle Vic would say, all you Yankees come on down!
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Spring time weather can be iffy. LI to cape may then if you have good weather OI. Then rundown sound to Adams Creek. I think I plotted Fire Island to Oregon Inlet @ 300+ miles straight but you are offshore the hole time. Normal spring weather 3 -4 days.
Your right Tommy dismal swamp route (west) , ditch currituck sound to conjock (east ) route.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

neil wrote:Steve you are sounding like a spoiled brat, if bob h brings the big boat even I will jump on board in Manasquan and fill that thing with fuel bob know our inlet well but do you think it's right to show up in a huge boat, keep me posted Jr is thinking of a hatter as trip last week in May to get together with a group of guys from our inlet that do the trip every yr and he would love to attend the NCAA rendezvous in NC if the time frame works
I've always been a spoiled brat (ask my ex-wife), but that aside .... it is a reasonable alternative
Last edited by Bertramp on Dec 19th, '16, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

What is the date of this event?
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bertramp wrote:I've always been a spoiled brat (ask my ex-wife), but that aside .... it is a reasonable alternative
You are a spoiled brat and you married an Italian and expect to remain that way and live. An excellent concept, but knowing the background of Italian Women, I am betting against you.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tommy you are making this trip scary! what is a DITCH? dismal swamp canal? are you referring to the perfume river in Vietnam were the locals shoot at you and the river becomes a bug infested creek just enough for the 31 to fit thru? brothers i would rather go thru a inland big river in gale warnings up to 10' waves then go aground in some bug ,snake infested creek. i need a inland route from around Portsmouth to rendenvouz island.you say about 210 miles from Portsmouth can i run 32 or so anywhere to make time .i can easily make that on a 1/2 tank or so if i fuel in Portsmouth.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

is this bob with the renamed phoenix now called "the African Queen" the dismal swamp are you kidding me

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

OMG now i will be Humphrey Bogard going to the rendenvouz with a northern crew "we no nothing about snakes and black flys"
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bob, I don't know how to post an image of a map, but maybe the links below will get you there (or maybe someone will post the map here for all to see).

http://www.learnnc.org/lp/media/collect ... WW_map.jpg

http://www.icwguide.info/northcarolinaicw.html

The ICW through NC uses sounds, rivers and creeks, as well as man-made cuts (ditches) to provide inside passage as it does in other states. The term "the Ditch" merely refers to relatively narrow sections of the ICW, many of which are dredged or otherwise man-made. From the Chesapeake Bay in VA south to the Albemarle Sound in NC, there is a western route through a man-made canal through the Great Dismal Swamp that exits at Elizabeth City. The eastern route is the Albemarle & Chesapeake Canal that transits the North Landing River into the Currituck Sound. And yes, the Great Dismal Swamp is great in size and was deemed "dismal" by colonial settlers when first explored. To us outdoor types it is valued for it's nature and is actually preserved as the Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge. I would suggest you consider running one route south and the other route north so you get to enjoy both, but only take the western route if you are patient and can deal with a lot of sailboats (I am neither patient nor do I deal with sailboaters well). Other stretches of the ICW that are man-made sections of "the Ditch" include the Pungo River-Alligator River Canal; the Goose Creek-Gale Creek Canal between the Pamlico River and the Neuse River, as well as the Adams Creek-Core Creek Canal from the Pamlico River to North River at Beaufort.

The NC faithful will be glad to help out with any local knowledge that we can.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bob, according to charts Norfolk, VA is shown as ICW Mile Marker 0, and the eastern and western routes split around Mile Marker 7. The Beaufort/Morehead City area is Mile Marker 205; so the trip is around 198 statute miles.

Mile Markers

Courtesy of Rosalie Beasley

Beginning at Norfolk, Virginia, and ending in Brownsville, Texas the Intracoastal Waterway is measured in statute miles, rather than nautical miles. These are the same mile measures (1 statute mile = 5,280 feet) used on land. However, since vessels measure their speed in knots, namely nautical miles per hours, statute miles wreak havoc with estimating travel time. A nautical mile is approximately 6,076 feet per mile, so the conversion is ugly. Design your own mixed metric table, or use the table on the cover flap of Managing the Waterway, so you can quickly calculate speed, time, and distance over mixed metrics.
The statute mile convention is firmly entrenched, with stm markers shown on NOAA charts every five miles. Along much of the Waterway, the statute miles are marked with ICW mile marker boards. These small signs, when available, are white with black lettering. They may be attached to a dayboard, piling, tree, or even painted on a rock!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Article on the two routes south of Norfolk:

http://cruisersnet.net/to-canal-or-not- ... cw-routes/
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Norfolk District closes Dismal Swamp Canal indefinitely

Posted 12/13/2016

Norfolk District Public Affairs

NORFOLK, Va. -- Officials at the Norfolk District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers have announced that the Dismal Swamp Canal will be closed indefinitely.
The canal, which was closed due to extensive damage from Hurricane Matthew in October, requires dredging, debris and tree removal, and an investigation into reports of shoaling at various locations in the canal.
The Norfolk District derrick boat Elizabeth has been working since October to clear debris from the waterway. The canal must be clear for engineers to perform a survey and assess the shoaling.
The storm also damaged Lake Drummond Reservation facilities, which are also closed and need repairs.
District officials have requested federal funds to assist with storm-related work.
Previously scheduled work to refurbish the Deep Creek Lock river gates will begin in the first week of January and will last approximately 75 days. The gate work is regularly scheduled maintenance and occurs about every 15 years. During gate refurbishment, the crew of the Elizabeth will continue to remove debris from the canal.
Vessels transiting the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway during the closure may use the Albemarle and Chesapeake Canal. The controlling depth of the canal is 12 feet. The lock and bridge have operating staff on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The North Landing Bridge on the ACC opens every hour and half-hour, from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. On-demand openings are provided for commercial traffic as needed, and for private vessels after 7 p.m. North Landing Bridge operators can be reached at 757-482-3081, and will monitor marine radio channel 13.
The Dismal Swamp Canal was completed in 1805 and is the oldest continually operating, hand-dug waterway in the United States. It is part of the Intracoastal Waterway connecting the Chesapeake Bay in Virginia with the Albemarle Sound in North Carolina.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

what can i say tommy,thank you for taking the time to enlighten a northern fisherman the very important information of traveling the ICW. especially Norfolk as mile marker 1 . now i can eliminate the dismal swamp route and be a confident with 12' of water under boat. Phoenix cannot go slower the 6knt. and thats one engine in gear perhaps 5 into current and wind. navigating behind a slow sailboat would mean in and out of gear,stop and wait then go,a pain to say the least i never have to do this where i live.at 198 miles sounds very doable and could call ahead for that skinny water at rendenvouz point. i will ask questions as they occur like fuel at Norfolk. thanks again
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Glad to help the Northern faithful anytime. My cell is (919) eight-eight-zero-0832, and we look forward to a good turnout from all points on the compass rose.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Don't listen to them, they plan on hijacking your boat while you are trapped in the ditch.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

When we ran a boat up to Annapolis from Florida years ago, we took the eastern route. We made it from Morehead City to Portsmouth in a day in a boat with a max cruise of about 24 knots. We had stayed outside from St Augustine to Morehead. The ICW from Morehead to Portsmouth was my favorite part of the trip. It was a beautiful ride. Personally, there's no way I'd run outside from Portsmouth/Norfolk to Morehead. It's a long trip, the mid-Atlantic can be pretty nasty that time of year, and if you have to duck in, the NC inlets between Portsmouth and Morehead (Oregon, Hatteras, Ocracoke) were/are/can be "local knowledge" inlets. Morehead is easy. I of course defer to the NC guys on this
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

So, how can you guide me for the Med/ NC route ; which fueling stations in between? How many miles?
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
neil

Post by neil »

Yannis it is 4300 miles even bob lico wouldn't make it on one tank
Carl

Post by Carl »

Once you make the right outta Greece, you can stop around the Strait of Gibralter to top off before heading over. Its only 3600 nautical miles from there...maybe bring along a petro can or 2, just to be safe.

Oh...head West till you see big land mass, that's us.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Carl wrote:Oh...head West till you see big land mass, that's us.
Actually, the shortest route is NOT west... It's called a great circle route... It would take Yannis quite a bit northwards... Having said that, I doubt he could make it even if his Bertram was loaded to the max with fuel bladders... Maybe with the fuel bladders, a stop in Iceland, a stop in Greenland and then a stop in Nova Scotia...

Now, if Yannis had turned his boat into a totally solar powered boat... Ah well, dreams...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Navatech wrote:
Actually, the shortest route is NOT west... It's called a great circle route

Yes, but West seemed funnier.
Last edited by Carl on Jan 4th, '17, 08:58, edited 2 times in total.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Guys,

Make a decision on the best route because I already started the engines, and am ready to go.
I took with me two jerry cans, and fixed 3 sandwitches for the road, they should be enough, no?
When I reach the big land mass what do I do? I'll ask once I arrive...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Commercial airlines would be much cheaper and faster. Take a flight over, I am sure someone will pick you up at the airport.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:Guys,

Make a decision on the best route because I already started the engines, and am ready to go.
I took with me two jerry cans, and fixed 3 sandwitches for the road, they should be enough, no?
When I reach the big land mass what do I do? I'll ask once I arrive...

I don't know Yannis. It is better to be safe then sorry with such a long ride, maybe bring a 4th sandwich and some Ouzo.

Yes, when you hit the big land mass, ask for directions. Or give me a call and I'll help you figure out whose closest to offer you the best directions.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you Carl, although I'm pretty sure I'll bump right on NC !

Tony,

Cruising 5k miles is impossible, so my asking for directions was just a joke.
On the other hand it will have to be a life or death issue for me to get into a plane for 10+ hours... it's not only that I fit very miserably in those seats, it's I also lack the patience; and then it's the jet lag...6 hours difference make me almost sick...I cannot enjoy anything for at least a week. In either direction flown.
I once said that if I ever went to the US again, it would be by ship so that the effect of the jet lag be spread over a few days. Who knows, maybe one day...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Come on Yannis... It's roughly 1,400 miles from Greece to Gibraltar, another 1,100 miles from there to the Azores, another 1,100 miles from there to the Azores, 1,800 miles from there to Nova Scotia and a final leg of 800 miles to NC... Have you thought about rigging a mast and turn your berty into a motor sailor?!...

LOL...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Nav,

Not only the miles are just so few, its also a cruise so cheap!

5k miles X 2.5 liters/mile= 12,500 liters X 1.1euro/liter= 14 k euro approx. plus oil, filters etc, youre in for a 15-16 k outlay.
If you travel, say, 5 hours every day at 20 knots you need 50 days to destination, at 10 euro / day for food, add another 500.
So in order to be there on June 2nd, I'd need to leave from here somewhere around the 20th of April!!
I should start preparing already !!
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:I should start preparing already !!
Or, you should check out business class tickets and a nice hotel to rest in to overcome the jet lag...

<grin>
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Business class space is identical, or by just a little, better than economy, for twice the price.
10+ hours to NY, and then who knows how many more to NC plus idle airport time etc = impossible, it was still impossible when I was 25, now it's even more.

Also it's the way we fly nowadays, that is, how big is your toothpaste and shampoo, take your shoes off, your belt off, where are these pistachios from, hell, I'm not doing this anymore. I will fly to Milano with my son in 20 days, but it's a 75 min flight.

It's not a matter of a nice hotel, I just can't sleep during the night when its daytime for me. I know, that's my problem but that's the way it is.
When we change time in October back to winter hour (minus 1 hr), I'm uncomfortable for 15-20 days. Imagine 6 whole hours!!
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:Business class space is identical, or by just a little, better than economy, for twice the price.
I never said it was cheap!... With Delta, for example, from TLV to JFK you get a lie flat sleeper seat in business...
Yannis wrote:I will fly to Milano with my son in 20 days, but it's a 75 min flight.
Speaking for myself, I'd rather go through the whole process for a long flight then for a 75 minute hop...
Yannis wrote:It's not a matter of a nice hotel, I just can't sleep during the night when its daytime for me. I know, that's my problem but that's the way it is.
When we change time in October back to winter hour (minus 1 hr), I'm uncomfortable for 15-20 days. Imagine 6 whole hours!!
I don't have to imagine anything... When I was young and people talked about jet lag I couldn't understand what they were talking about!... These day I know full well... My solution has been to time the flight and my activities and some help of a nonprescription sleep aid... Melatonin specifically... For me at least going west is a lot easier then going east...

BTW, can we start calling you "Mr. T"?!... <grin>
Carl

Post by Carl »

Or...you can do what my dad was trying to line up for me as my boat could make it to the canyon to fish Or it could make it home, but didn't carry enough gas to go both ways and I wasn't going to bring 55gal drums of gas with me as some suggested.

At that time we did lots of work for Tug and barge transportation companies, real friendly with one in particular. We were working on a project with owner and then dad in his subtle ways brought up...think you can have your cap toss us a line to tow us out to the canyon? They started figuring out when and how much line would be good till I interjected and said thats why we have friends with bigger boats.

Anyway point being...tie a line to a cruise ship heading our way and walla a real outside cabin cruise to the US.

LOL...your right no practical way to do under power in our boats. You said you had friends with sailboats...that's always an option. I have friends that sailed off to the Azores in a 35' sailboat, several customers that bought/given cheap old sailboats, refurbished and shoved off to Poland. Used that as their "Checkout Cruise"...interesting, highly adventurous people for sure. Obviously doable...but one hell of a trip for sure.

Or sit back and I am sure the internet will offer some great pictures of the gathering.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,
I don't know if the sailboat part was for me, however, let me tell you that every summer I meet a lot of sailboat skippers who are paid to take various crews to various places, on their rented sailboats - most often catamarans as is the trend lately.
A few of them continue the season (which in Greece ends by early Sept.) into taking contracts in the Caribbean during the European fall/winter. Some of them cross the Atlantic for that reason, since it's their proper boat they rent out and are skippering. None of them gave me the impression that this was a high risk/high adventure trip! They act as if they went to 7/11 for a coffee... Beats me.

As for the gathering and internet etc, why not arrange a skype session between you - the US based participants - and anybody far elsewhere, who couldn't make it but still wants to say "hi" ! ONE ipad or laptop and the world becomes so much smaller...

Nav,
Mr. T from my name, or from anything else that I can't think of right now?
Mind you, I look nothing similar in that I'm white, not as big and...certainly not as muscled ! I also have normal hair !