Shipping Bass Sticks

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Shipping Bass Sticks

Post by Carl »

So dad decided his Spoon Sticks do not work well in Florida. My sticks had an encounter with sticky fingers so could use a pair.

Figure hey, stick'em in a PVC tube and UPS 'em up to me...how much can that cost.

Well, neither UPS nor Fed Ex takes anything over 108", sticks are 112". And at 108" it's 400 bucks. Tried a few freight companies I ship with and best I came up with is 377...

Yes, they are long, but two poles in a 3" tube x 10' at a whopping 20-ish pounds, not heavy and not that much space.

Am I missing a transport option from Florida to NY?

Maybe next season they can hitch a ride up on his buds boat...but would like to have for Spring Bass run.
Joseph Fikentscher

Re: Shipping Bass Sticks

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Greyhound Bus??
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Carl

Post by Carl »

Joseph Fikentscher wrote:Greyhound Bus??
Good call, just checked and 82" max length.
neil

Post by neil »

Drive down and visit dear olde dad,it will be worth it life is to short
John Nardi

Post by John Nardi »

Hey Carl...It would take me a bit to try and track one down, but there are a couple of guys who specialize in bringing stuff to and from Florida during snowbird season...The price is usually quite reasonable...If this sounds like a good option and Google, etc. fails you; let me know and I will try and track a name down for you...John
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

that seems to be an issue for most custom builders and why most bunker sppon rods are 8' even though 9 work better. I frequent a couple of rod building sites and the stories of broken blanks coming by fedex and UPS are frequent.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

carl
if you don't have them by spring I can loan you mine
they are custom and just made for spoons
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Carl wrote:So dad decided his Spoon Sticks do not work well in Florida. My sticks had an encounter with sticky fingers so could use a pair.

Figure hey, stick'em in a PVC tube and UPS 'em up to me...how much can that cost.

Well, neither UPS nor Fed Ex takes anything over 108", sticks are 112". And at 108" it's 400 bucks. Tried a few freight companies I ship with and best I came up with is 377...

Yes, they are long, but two poles in a 3" tube x 10' at a whopping 20-ish pounds, not heavy and not that much space.

Am I missing a transport option from Florida to NY?

Maybe next season they can hitch a ride up on his buds boat...but would like to have for Spring Bass run.
What are the exact dimensions, weight, origin and destination zip codes?!... I have a FedEx account and possibly FedEx Freight is an option... The rates for account holders are a LOT cheaper then the published rates... If you give me those details I can generate a quote...

As another option, try https://www.uship.com maybe you'll get lucky and find a hauler who'll piggyback your rods to another shipment...
Carl

Post by Carl »

neil wrote:Drive down and visit dear olde dad,it will be worth it life is to short
Drove down last Christmas...but I closed shop for that week, cannot close this year. To drive down on Friday and be back here for Monday morning is a bit insane for poles. I'll be flying down sometime...haven't checked into what bringing poles back on plane would run....but not thinking an option either.
Charlie J wrote:carl
if you don't have them by spring I can loan you mine
they are custom and just made for spoons

Thank you Charlie! I appreciate the offer. I think if I can't bring the ole' poles back before the spring run I'll buy a pair of something to get me going. Then next time I drive down or he jumps on buds boat for ride up they'll go along.

Tony Meola wrote:Carl

that seems to be an issue for most custom builders and why most bunker sppon rods are 8' even though 9 work better. I frequent a couple of rod building sites and the stories of broken blanks coming by fedex and UPS are frequent.
9'4"...nice poles, we caught lots of bass on those poles. I tried using downriggers and bungees with the spoons this year...not even a schooly hit em...which is sorta unusual.

Don't want to break the rods...was figuring inserting in a piece of PVC tube to ship.

Navatech wrote:
What are the exact dimensions, weight, origin and destination zip codes?!... I have a FedEx account and possibly FedEx Freight is an option... The rates for account holders are a LOT cheaper then the published rates... If you give me those details I can generate a quote...

As another option, try https://www.uship.com maybe you'll get lucky and find a hauler who'll piggyback your rods to another shipment...
Thank you Navatech. I have accounts at both carriers as well. Freight is high for both carriers and for regular shipping both carriers have a 108" max length. Rods are 112".

I was playing around on Uship. Shows signs of being reasonable, but anyone use with good/bad results?

I don't want rods broken or lost...it's not just cause the price is right...lots of good memories with them sticks. Flip side is 400 bucks for the sticks to get here...It a pair of Tony Maja sticks...which are not bad rods.

John Nardi wrote:Hey Carl...It would take me a bit to try and track one down, but there are a couple of guys who specialize in bringing stuff to and from Florida during snowbird season...The price is usually quite reasonable...If this sounds like a good option and Google, etc. fails you; let me know and I will try and track a name down for you...John
Thanks John...if my search fails, I'll give you a holla.

As Navatech said...if it was piggybacked onto a full or partial load cost should be reasonable...not heavy, not big...4" round by 10' long, no rush for it to get here. I have some friends and family making the trip...10' just doesn't quite fit in their car...even with window open.

Appreciate the ideas, I'll continue with my homework.
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

Carl.
You can also check with Fastenal. There is no schedule. When they have a truck going from one area to another, they just include your item. I had a garden tractor grader blade shipped from Wisconsin for short money.
Al
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
Carl

Post by Carl »

lobsta1 wrote:Carl.
You can also check with Fastenal. There is no schedule. When they have a truck going from one area to another, they just include your item. I had a garden tractor grader blade shipped from Wisconsin for short money.
Al

That's a new one I never thought of...
Thanks, I'll give them a call.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

How about Steve? He seems to go back and forth often.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
John F.

Post by John F. »

I just had a couple of motorcycles shipped by uship. Great experience. Try to get prices from uship guys. I'm guessing you could get em shipped really cheap
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

One other thought. Contact Mudhole tackle in Florida. Inquire about purchasing a 9'ft lamiglass rod blank and ask how much shipping would be and how it is shipped. That might give you some insight as to other alternatives.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

One other thought. Contact Mudhole tackle in Florida. Inquire about purchasing a 9'ft lamiglass rod blank and ask how much shipping would be and how it is shipped. That might give you some insight as to other alternatives.

9' rod blank shipping $15.95 handling $9.95
$50 surcharge for blanks over 9' out of country. I have to be missing something.

I'll give them a call today...

They also showed Postal Service...ya know, that is one avenue I didn't even think to check. Although not sure how they'd get a 10' stick in those lil'jeeps

OK...quick edit....I just checked and getting somewhere.
Guess they can get it in those little jeeps ...$123.00 for a 4"PVC Tube @ 115" 30lbs...two poles should fit in there and be safe???
Carl

Post by Carl »

John F. wrote:I just had a couple of motorcycles shipped by uship. Great experience. Try to get prices from uship guys. I'm guessing you could get em shipped really cheap
Thats what I was thinking...thought I remembered someone using something like that. your two bikes...right.
Thanks, I'll see how that goes too.
Dug

Post by Dug »

My friend Brian Connelly owns Connelly custom rods in FL. Give him a ring and ask how he would do it, and tell him I sent you to ask.

His website is:

https://www.connleyfishing.com/default.aspx

Heck, might even make you the replacements!

Also JB Tackle in Niantic for the same question. Carey is awesome as is his son Kyle.

(866) 944-4447 is the store phone, and they make beautiful custom rods and ship them.

Best,

Dug
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Try, The NERBS. Rodbuilders on Facebook Billy Vivona will probably haved a solution.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1985819 ... 2/?fref=nf
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Joseph Fikentscher wrote:Try, The NERBS. Rodbuilders on Facebook Billy Vivona will probably haved a solution.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1985819 ... 2/?fref=nf
Joe

Do you know Billy? He is a hoot. The man is an artist.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Dug wrote:My friend Brian Connelly owns Connelly custom rods in FL. Give him a ring and ask how he would do it, and tell him I sent you to ask.

Dug

Thanks Dug, I gave a call but I didn't want to leave a voice mail...also his site shows he builds a 10' Dock Rat Rod that is Store pickup only, he will not ship do to length.

So I moved onto MudHole and skipped the song and dance about buying their product and shipping...just told em outright why I was calling. They couldn't have been nicer. Fed Ex Express will take it, Not Fed Ex, Not FedEx Freight...but FedEx Express...who knew there was a difference? $158.00, not bad. So I'll see if dad has a preference and then arrange the pickup for him/me. Oh goody, I will have old/new poles ready for next season.

Appreciate the help.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

I was wondering how they shipped those long sticks.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I was wondering how they shipped those long sticks.

...and with their shipping volume they only charge 28.00 to ship and still make on shipping.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

When I was thinking about building a couple of bass rods for myself, all I keep on hearing was that I could not got 9 foot blanks that easy due to shipping issues. In fact a buddy of mine called Tackle direct several years ago and they told him a 9 foot bass rod was pick up only.

Either shipping has changed or Mud hole has a special deal with FedEx.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: Either shipping has changed or Mud hole has a special deal with FedEx.

Tony- they do have a special deal with FedEx for rates. Volume speaks loud when shipping, it why 28 bucks to my 158.

But the trick is Fed-Ex Express. I tried Fed Ex and I could not ship online or when I called to inquire. They told me 108 was max length. BUT go onto FedEx Express site, plug in info and walla .... the 158 price comes up.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

Thanks, I have parked that for future use. Since 9 foot bass rods are hard to come by, I am considering building my own. Now I only need to try and make room in the basement to set up shop for a 9 ft rod blank. Like that will really happen. My wife will have to give up a ton of space.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Rawleigh wrote:How about Steve? He seems to go back and forth often.
I didn't read this post until today
Carl .... I'm back and forth constantly and would have helped out.
Guys ... I'm back and forth about twice a month ..... If I can help ya out .... give a shout !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Carl

Post by Carl »

Thanks Steve.

It was more about shipping for a price I didn't feel I was being taken over a barrel. With the help here we came up with choices.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yesterday my care packages arrived from the sunny state of Florida via USPS.

Shipped in PVC tubes, they held up just fine.

Let the bass season begin!

ford351c594

Post by ford351c594 »

sweet.. had I seen this earlier I would have recommend good old USPS. I ship motorcycle frames via them all the time. its about 30 bucks for weight and another 15 for over sized. Looks goofy but works and is cheap.
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
"smart people learn from their mistakes, the smartest people learn from others and their mistakes"
neil

Post by neil »

Carl we have two pair of spoon rods one for the 31 and a pair for the 25 we love watching our spoon rods pump,they should pump between 60 and eighty times per minute depending on sea conditions, when they are proper get ready for the bite of your life,we have been trolling spoons for over twenty yrs and have caught more bass then most people we have several over 40 lbs and just last yr we cracked 50 lbs if you are trolling the right wire and the right speed you can't miss.i hope you catch as many as we have
Carl

Post by Carl »

Neil, I have brought in my fair share of bass with spoons on these very poles. Plus on the bass sticks I used to have. Mine got picked off during the Sandy thing, dad brought all his bass stuff down to Florida along with his boat. He found the long sticks didn't do much for him down there so offered to send up a pair for me.
Your right, nothing quite like watching a spoon pumping away...except maybe a nice hit, pole doubling over with reel screaming. Good days...looking forward to it again.