31 Express - Hard Top Input

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ranjr13

31 Express - Hard Top Input

Post by ranjr13 »

Below is a shot of our 31 from the port side. One of our potential projects this winter is replacing the bows and vinyl top with a hard top very similar in size and placement. My concern is keeping the lines very close to the front cabin roof, and keeping the side frame supports to a minimum, being consistent with the angles of the boat so it looks as close to what it might have if there were a factory hard top option in 1964. As a side note, the gin pole is going to be lowered so the radar will sit just above the Flir camera. I've only seen one custom hard top on an Express (Dreamsicle pics on this site). If anyone has any other pics or ideas, I'm open to them. I've had some discussions with Atlantic Tower who has done tops and towers for a bunch of Bertrams, but they haven't done an Express.

Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Carl

Re: 31 Express - Hard Top Input

Post by Carl »

Not exactly what your are asking for as this is a tower with legs intruding on outside...but height would be correct for a hardtop.

I started the leading edge of tower floor several inches behind the windshield to follow lines up. Then opted to used clear panels from windshield to tower to keep clear flow....also I use downstairs gauges when running so clear is best.

ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Nice, Carl, thank you. Are your cabin windows all dark tint, including the corners? New corners and re-sealing of all other windows, and dark tinting of all of them is also on the list for this off-season, including painting frames, and re-sealing frames to cabin, and glass to frames.
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bob,
On doing the windows, when I redid Dreamsicle I replaced all windows including the corners. To match glass to plexy the color of the tint is "Solex."
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Carl

Post by Carl »

Front is a Black Canvas Wrap.
Sides are Darkest Polycarbonate, Makrolon, with UV protection I could buy.

Used to tint the glass, but even the darkest wasn't dark enough...and I only got a few years before it went purple. Then did inside and outside, got the color, but only a season or two before it went belly up losing color and peeling. Once baked on its tough to remove.

I went Poly as window cracked and I was not pulling frames.
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Who did your windows? I have one outlet for molding the front corners, but would be interested in one place to do everything as you suggest so it's all the same level of tint.
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
Carl

Post by Carl »

ranjr13 wrote:Who did your windows? I have one outlet for molding the front corners, but would be interested in one place to do everything as you suggest so it's all the same level of tint.
If you can get the front corners, I'd be looking for a pair in clear.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

BOB and Carl,
I had my windows (all 4 curved panels done in Boston at Multi Fab) I don't know if they are still in business, they were located on Hallet St in Dorchester section of Boston.
They were about $800.00 back in 1994 or1995. They were made of Plexi Glass and were in the boat for another 19 years when I sold her in 2014.
You have to use pillow blocks of rubber to keep them from cracking when the frames work in a sea. Also make sure you replace the white vinyl strip at the joint between the frames and the deck. I had my frames stripped to bare aluminum and primed and painted with Black automotive trim paint by Carheart, they never bubbled or peeled in 19 years. Used the same stuff on my rub rail which I stripped and re-painted in 2013, I thru bolted every hole with 1/4=20 SS bolts and large washers on the interior , over kill but it will never come off. Use the T bolts with cap nuts to bolt the 2 piece window frames together.

I have only seen 2 factory hard tops Dreamsicle and a boat that was at Chapman's School back in 2001. A good metal shop should be able to make a hard top and frames make sure to follow the lines of the express windshield or it will look bad. If you add outriggers follow the same lines and use big backing plates when mounting the rigger bases and wishbones.

Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Dug

Post by Dug »

Hi Bob,

Though I know its not in your back yard, I cannot recommend Marine Metal Fabricators of RI more highly. They took care of Alchemy from start to finish last winter on the top. We worked together very closely on how to make the look and feel work and incorporated all I wanted. Additionally they worked very closely with Corrado canvas to provide an awesome enclosure.

I would be more than happy to provide contact info. Mikey, who is the key welder has been doing tops for at least a decade, and just knows good lines. He is great. They also did the metal work on Bob Higgins boat.

Let me know if you want the #'s!

Best,

Dug
Dug

Post by Dug »

Sorry, I neglected to say this. they did a 100% custom fiberglass hard top for my rig. Integrated lights, just awesome!