Uncle Vic Cookbook

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Uncle Vic Cookbook

Post by mike ohlstein »

If anyone wants to copy UV's recipes, I've shared them here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y079ncmyfu2d ... jnLxa?dl=0

Feel free to copy them.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Re: Uncle Vic Cookbook

Post by Carl »

Thank you Mike, they were a good read and I'll be sure to try the ones I have not yet tried.

Carl
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Mike...

Thanks for posting! I have tried a couple of these, and will copy them all.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mike

Thank you for digging that up and posting it. I will be using some of them. I wonder if Walter's family still has his printed and sold?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Many thanks Mike....... I have a Boston Butt in the freezer looking for a direction.

Ray
1971 Sportfish 314 49 1103
1994 B28 BERF2720L394
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Tony Meola wrote:I wonder if Walter's family still has his printed and sold?
They sometimes show up in the Amazon store... That's where I got my copy...
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Nice job Mike. Many thanks.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Thank you Mike!
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Mean Mike,
I'm still lurking out here. Boat's up for the winter and had an email from Bob Norton on the hardtop and decided it had been too long without a B31 fix. Many, many thanks for the recipes. I thought I had them all but not true. Especially the soft crab and lobster. If my Momma were still with us I'd give her a smack in Vic's honor. Those of us who were privileged to call Uncle Vic our friend were truly blessed. He changed every soul in which he came in contact, and I'm glad to say I was one.
Have checked my collection of recipes and see that you don't have Roux and Possum. Here tis!

Bless you my friend for all you do.
Mikey

Roux and Possum
Well, of course you use a roux to make a dark brown gravy. I'll give y'all the short way: Meat here is possum
Run a couple of medium size white onions thru the food processor until its mush. Add about two heads of peeled garlic and re-mush it all. Put a half cup of olive oil in a cast iron Dutch oven and heat it till spit sizzles in the oil. Dump in the mushed onion and garlic and sauté' - stirring constantly - over medium high heat until it starts to brown. Now add three heaping tablespoons of sun dried tomato paste (regual is okay, but the sun dried is much better), two tablespoons of lemon juice, and about a teaspoon of sea salt and continue to sauté until very dark brown. As you sauté', add olive oil as necessary to keep the mass nice and moist and not sticking to the Dutch oven. When its as dark as you dare without burning it - remember to stir all the time - add 4 tablespoons of Savoie's dark roux in the glass jar. If you don't have the roux in the jar I'll tell you how to make some later. Stir in the roux briskly then slowly add two quarts of chicken stock. Swanson's is okay. Let the gravy come to a boil then reduce the heat to low and let it bubble slowly, uncovered for about a half hour, taste & add garlic and/or onion powder as you like, then cover and continue to cook for another hour & a half. Now its ready to add your meat. Brown the meat in the oven or under the broiler before adding. Cook slowly in the gravy until the meat is falling off the bone. I sometimes dump the gravy into a slow cook crock pot and cook the meat that way since we have a gas stove and its hard to get the fire low enough without using some sort of metal grate over the burner.
To make a simple roux: Take a heavy iron skillet and put about a quarter cup of olive oil in it and slowly heat. As it heats begin to slowly sprinkle general purpose flower into it and briskly stir with a spatula.....the goal is to add enough flour to make a very thick creamy mixture and cook it as dark as you can without burning it. I like to go to a medium chocolate color, some darker. It has a very distinctive aroma when it just right, takes some practice and don't be afraid to burn it a few times, just dump the burnt out, wash your skillet and start over. When its ready take out of the skillet to keep it from overcooking and save to add to your gravy. That's all there is to it....the stuff in the jar is better than I've ever been able to make though.
It usually takes me about 25-30 minutes standing over the stove stirring my onion/garlic mush to get it done to the point of adding the roux & then the chicken stock.

UV
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mark

Only UV would say use a possum. Lol

Let's lift one to UV and all those who have gone before us.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Thanks Mikey!

I've added it to the dropbox directory.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315