Seakeeper in a 31?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Priceless

Seakeeper in a 31?

Post by Priceless »

Anyone have any experience with the Seakeeper gyro ? I see they have a new one for 30-39 footers. Also where could it be located and is it worth thinking about?
Carl

Re: Seakeeper in a 31?

Post by Carl »

While I am far from a fan rolling in a 31 on a drift...I'd be leary about low gunnels of a 31 with lack of a roll.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Priceless wrote:Anyone have any experience with the Seakeeper gyro ? I see they have a new one for 30-39 footers. Also where could it be located and is it worth thinking about?
I don't see where you would put one on a 31... Note also that you'll need a generator to power it... Is it worth it, that's entirely and subjectively your call... Personally, I don't have a need for something like this... If the roll gets that bad I just bump one of the engines in gear for a few seconds...

Also, if I were floating around for fishing I'd put out a sea anchor to mitigate the rolling...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Navatech wrote: Also, if I were floating around for fishing I'd put out a sea anchor to mitigate the rolling...

They help...but if not enough wind and breeze I find it only corrects a couple degrees. And on a still day with waves it only works if it catches on bottom.

Then since I don't use much I forget about it...luckily I have caught a glimpse or a Hey Wait didn't I.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I had NO idea that a simple gyros could stop our boats from rolling. Technology never ceases to amaze me!

1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Priceless,
Why don't you invest in a good sea anchor and save $30,000. They are now putting them the big center consoles under the leaning post/rocket launchers they are running around 30K right now.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Howesounder

Post by Howesounder »

I had a 38 foot tug that could roll like crazy when drifting, or at anchor. I cut out a couple of disks from stainless steel about 2' diameter with a hole in the centre, and hung them one on each side off the boat amidship. The reduction of roll was dramatic even without hanging them from poles. Pretty analog answer compared to a gyro, but crazy effective.

Steve
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

Just happened to be searching boat stuff while sitting in my deer stand and saw the Seakeeper for smaller boats. Wondered if anyone had been on a boat with one or a 31 with one. I dont the have a spare 30K right handy but I know my wife would like less roll. Thanks for the tips.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Howesounder,

When I fell off the salon couch of my 28 in the middle of the night, by a wake, moored at a dock, I decided I should do something about it.
I like this SS disc idea. Can you please elaborate? What does "even without hanging them from poles" mean? How much smaller do you estimate the discs to be for a 28 vs your 38 tug?
Thanks.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:When I fell off the salon couch of my 28 in the middle of the night, by a wake, moored at a dock, I decided I should do something about it.
I like this SS disc idea. Can you please elaborate? What does "even without hanging them from poles" mean? How much smaller do you estimate the discs to be for a 28 vs your 38 tug?
Google "flopper stoppers"... One thing though, it doesn't work when you're tied up to a dock...
Dug

Post by Dug »

I was on the cc that had one at the Newport show. It was a 31 Contender. Long and narrow. Deep v. The sea keeper worked extraordinarily well. Kerri wants one. IT would fit in the Bert. I don't have the $$ to do it, but it would work very, very well.

Can't wait for the first person to step up and do it! :)

D
Dug

Post by Dug »

To me, the snap roll is part of the unique charm of the RLDT as Thudd would call it...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Nav,

Thanks. I got the "poles" thing.
For starters, I'll try the discs, say 30-35 cm in dia. that I'll hang from the midship cleats. Almost zero cost, easy to carry and stow, and I'll see from then-on what's next.
Anyway, poles I cannot have.
Howesounder

Post by Howesounder »

The Disks Yannis, are just suspended by rope or heavy chord using three holes in the disks and rope or very small stainless chain up to a central point so they hang flat. You could make them from starboard too. They work better if suspended from a pole for better leverage, but are effective without poles. I have used them when docked......both off the non dock side.

Steve
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... r+stoppers

For those of you have not been subject to the famous Rocker Stopper thread, or if you want to relieve old times, just go to the link above. It explains it all along with a dozen theories. Enjoy.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Steve, thanks.

Tony, wow, I read through all this, you guys are mad!!!
BTW, a lot of people who are not around any more...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... r+stoppers

For those of you have not been subject to the famous Rocker Stopper thread, or if you want to relieve old times, just go to the link above. It explains it all along with a dozen theories. Enjoy.

LOL...I was wondering when that thread would be brought up.

Thanks Tony.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

LOL! I knew the flopper stopper would come up! What would UV say??
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

It was a classic. The board was really active back then.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

My father in law said that was a German Bra
" Shtoppin flom Floppin"
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

My father in law said that was a German Bra
" Shtoppin flom Floppin"