The life of Alchemy

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

The life of Alchemy

Post by Dug »

So, here are some pictures from Alchemy's journey. She's been a good boat and I am looking forward to the enjoyment and happiness in the eyes of the next generation.

Dug

Re: The life of Alchemy

Post by Dug »

Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Dug, lil O in the swing and snoozing on the bridge says it all. Enjoy. Time passes way too fast..BH
PS. Alchemy looks great well done!!!
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

What a beautiful boat! One of the few B31's is seen which is detail perfect.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Very nice!
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

BIG GRIN ..... NICE !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Very nice Dug! Is the bow rail an exact replica of the lines, however it is welded? Got any profile shots? My original rubrail is a liability! LOL
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I removed my bow rail 25 years ago--but I don't remember it "pointy" like this-----thought it was round.

Dug---the boat came out great-----really like your door--what kind of wood?
Dug

Post by Dug »

Thanks guys!!! Yes, it should be about exact. Back when I had it made, I brought the old one to the welder and asked him to replicate. Ta da! Much more sturdy and I don't need to worry about going overboard anymore.

The door is mahogany. It is stunning... I had the board in my shop for years waiting for the right project... There ya go!

Thanks guys. It's been fun. Almost done! :)
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

What can I say. Absolutely gorgeous.

Just wait until the kid is running around on the deck.

Memories. Take lots of Pics for the future. Great to look back on.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
gplume

Post by gplume »

She looks great......you must be pleased to have her back.

Enjoy.

Giff
Giff
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

The cockpit teak deck is beautiful. Where did you get it done or who is it made by?
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Superb, Dug, in every category. Little angel sleeping on bridge with dad is the best shot of all!
Dug

Post by Dug »

Tommy I agree 100%. She loves nothing more than napping and running all around the cockpit. One of the best moments of this past brief season was feeding seagulls out of the cockpit with a bunch of old pretzels. So simple, but the awe on her face was magic.
Priceless, my friend Dwight and I built that deck about 15 years ago. Most weekends of one spring. It came out pretty well. That is an older picture of it, right after I finished its spring cleaning.
Sadly, we will likely have to cut it up a bit in order to diagnose the source of the fuel leaking, but the intent is to put it back right like it came out and have it such that no one ever knew!
I put the picture of the bow hatch on because if you look closely, there is a Bertram logo in the non-skid. That was a Brewer St. Boatworks surprise. Too cool!

Dug
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Beautiful! Tastefully done! Love the door.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Carl

Post by Carl »

Dug wrote: I put the picture of the bow hatch on because if you look closely, there is a Bertram logo in the non-skid. That was a Brewer St. Boatworks surprise. Too cool!

Dug

LOL...saw it and thought it was a shadow or like on my boat or heaven forbid "a stain"...
It's one of those things when you look and see...you go ...yeah, that's a nice touch.
Very cool, Dug.

Although I do see one issue...that galvanized anchor and rusty chain. Maybe a Fortress with SS Chain for some deck candy.
While I'm not a huge Fortress fan, I still find myself letting it down too fast sending it flying off landing arse backwards, but it doesn't ever rust and is a bit lighter for my anchor winch retrieval system...AKA- Doreen.
Last edited by Carl on Sep 28th, '16, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Craig Mac wrote:I removed my bow rail 25 years ago--but I don't remember it "pointy" like this-----thought it was round.
Funny, I saw that point too. A closer look shows "pointy" part to be what I believe is a butt welded aluminum seam. Original is the rounded bent SS rail. A bit more body on the aluminum must give a sturdier feel then the original SS.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

WOW! She came out great! I love the teak and that cabin door! What is the paint? Color?

Can you tell me the thickness of the door and the specs on that lock/handle? I need to get rid of this silly Southco latch on my door.

thanks!
Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

How nice indeed !

I love the teak golden shades; man you'll sweat to keep it constantly like this ...!

I love the details, more so, the eisenglass flaps under the bridge corners, they'll keep the family drier when cruising on the motor boxes.

Hey Dug, what about the dog? Does she like it?

Enjoy !
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Dug

Post by Dug »

Cam,
Dimensionally the door is effectively the exact same as the one I had before. Amusingly it fits with one rub spot that will be fixed this winter (by sanding the boat, not the door, LOL!). The hardware is the off the shelf perko. Does the job.

Carl, you are spot on relative to it being welded. When I picked it up I wondered why they hadn't done a nice bend and butt welded it instead, but that is what they do. I will tell you that the welded rail is a completely worthwhile investment if you are keeping your bowrail and I could not imagine not having it, though I love the look of boats without. I can hang from it without any worries. Its a good thing!

And I understand re: the anchor. Maybe I do need to upgrade to the fortress. Honestly I don't like them as the chain has always sunk faster than the anchor and I have had issues with it tangling. I have the less expensive fortress as a secondary anchor and have friends that have them too. They are light, but that is not a great thing... I could always go crazy and buy a stainless anchor, but I think to myself, it sits on the bottom of the ocean. How long before its all scratched up and ugly... But worth contemplating!

Paint colors are awlgrip ice blue for the hull and one of the many whites for topsides. Sadly I don't remember off the top of my head...

As for the dog, she has always loved it. I have only had her out once or twice and she is happy to be back on board!!!!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Dug- Your right they are a pain needing to be let down much slower then steel danforths...but they do look good.
SS anchor...maybe a bit over the top. I'd nickel plate the steel first. Or a rattle can in your favorite color makes the steel Purdy for a season or two, I used to paint flat black.

But for me, I rarely anchor aside from going to beach in 10' of water. Offshore its a 2nd anchor, 20' of chain and basket of line.

I'll shut up now. It's an anchor and looks fine...I just got a razzing from my buddy about mine some years ago so conversation came to mind when I saw that pictures. They really did an outstanding job, you should be real happy...aside from possible tank leak. Funny I did my glass deck with glass uprights glassed into stringers using original bolts in place thinking I'd never have to touch deck again...bed it down nice in silicone. That season I came to the realization ethanol and the glass tank mixed very well having to come out, so up came that new deck and supports I'd never have to touch again.

I tried to comment on your door a couple times...but no words seem to do it justice. It really should be hung on a wall.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Two issues, Dug.

The anchor shackle should be safety wired.

The swing needs a gimbal and someplace to anchor the safety lines from the bent butt rod......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Carl wrote:It really should be hung on a wall.
In a museum!...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

mike ohlstein wrote:The swing needs a gimbal and someplace to anchor the safety lines from the bent butt rod......
ROTFLMAO!... <thumbsup>
Dug

Post by Dug »

Mike! LOL! Thanks.

So the anchor is now safety wired. That got done before I brought her home from Newport. I guess I took that shot before she left. In addition I have a neat little piece of rope that ties the anchor shaft down to the front of the anchor chock now. Much better!

And I'll work on the swing! LOL!

Thanks guys. I truly appreciate the good feedback.

Dug
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Dug

Boat looks fantastic ! Lots of good times to come enjoy.

Just cant figure out which one you seem to be prouder of your boat or your daughter being on the boat.
Both seem to make a great combo !
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

34Hatt wrote:Just cant figure out which one you seem to be prouder of your boat or your daughter being on the boat.
I think you need to make an appointment with an optometrist... :-)))
34Hatt wrote:Both seem to make a great combo !
You got that absolutely right...
Dug

Post by Dug »

The last two pictures are on my little whaler on the lake in front of the inland house. Her 3rd time on the boat she jumped off my knee and grabbed the wheel. She is absolute in her interest in driving!!!! LOL! Yep, really proud to see her scooting around boats. She has climbed the flybridge ladder already as well, with supervision of course!
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

You got some gorgeous ladies on your boat...

I love the way the munchkin seems to take steering VERY seriously (as she should)...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

Looks like when she gets older you will have a built in captain.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Dug:

I know it has been sometime in the restoration, as the drop dead gorgeous results show, but in the picture of the bridge and the electronics, there is a red buoy up ahead, it is red, right, returning and you've got the buoy to port -- it's a 50-50 shot that I'm right, haha.

Also, the pic with Olivia running the boat -- would that be a "hands free" binkie?

Tom
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Those are awesome Dug! I remember Mara sleeping in my arms at about age 4 on the flybridge as I was on plane cruising back to port in 2-3 ft chop, never even fazed her. Special stuff my friend. I'm jealous. :)
-Mark
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Dug

Post by Dug »

Tom, that is leaving west harbor on Fishers, and you must leave the red bouy to port. North Dumpling is to starboard.

Mark, I agree, very special. I can only imagine. Come ride next summer. Please. Thinking of you guys!!!! Olivia will snuggle tonight I am sure!
Dug

Post by Dug »

Tom, that is leaving west harbor on Fishers, and you must leave the red bouy to port. North Dumpling is to starboard.

Mark, I agree, very special. I can only imagine. Come ride next summer. Please. Thinking of you guys!!!! Olivia will snuggle tonight I am sure!
Dug

Post by Dug »

Hmmm. I guess it did post last night after all...