Capt Pat.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bob H.

Re: Goodbye Faithful...

Post by Bob H. »

1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Bob n Harry planning a repower of a 31.
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Your legacy will live on...
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Say it ain't so Capt Pat. So sorry to hear about this. God speed and best of luck. You collected a tremendous circle of friends.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Bob H. wrote:Image
Bob n Harry planning a repower of a 31.
Is that a Napier?!...
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

A Bahia Moment...Farewell Patrick IO ya one...Steve Kelly..Bertramp
Tom Curran

Post by Tom Curran »

I never met you Capt Patrick..but I feel like I kow you from this forum..Thanks for letting me be a member..wishing you godspeed and fair winds and tight lines,,
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I sent this to Patrick last night via email, keyboard in one hand, a glass of cabernet in the other.
This morning, I chose to share with all ... Patrick, I trust that you will not be offended.

Hi Patrick...
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly here.
I'm not really sure why I decided to put my thoughts to print as compared to a call, not to say that a call will not follow.

The Bertram 31 website is a part of my daily life.
There are folks on there that I might pass on the street by sight, but I know who they are by name on the site.
Just last weekend, Raybo identified me by my license plate holder, knowing I'm a Long Island guy .... plus there ain't a lot of guys that look like me that have my passion to boats and Bertram's.

I've heard people say " live your life so that you will be happy with what might be said about you when you're gone".
You my friend have created a legacy !!
The B31 is a legacy in itself, but next to Ray Hunt and Richard Bertram, no one else has done as much for the vessel as you.
But that is only a part of your legacy.
What you have done for the folks that love the boat, in my opinion, is your number one honor !!

There are guys on this site that I would open my door to 24/7.....period!! I would not know them if not for you.

I commented to my wife about the B31.com plate frame on her car and told her that it would arguably get her flat tire changed on a rainy night here on Long Island, because Lico or Brew would step up for me as I would for them.

I thank you for welcoming me to a brotherhood.
A family in which I may not look like everyone else, but I can call the folks brother.
All the best my friend and ThankYou.

Wanna run for President ?? ..... Please, you've got my vote !! :-)

To further my point, this morning I wanted to post the picture of Craig and me in FL Bahia to Bahia.
I suck at posting pics here, so I sent a quick text "Hey Bob H, can you post this pic for me when you get a chance" ....as you can see, the picture is posted. Thanks Bro !! ..... that's what I'm talkin' about.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Mike Moran

Post by Mike Moran »

Dear, Cap. Pat so sorry to hear the news been some time since i have been on the site , having the pleasure of meeting you , i wanted to say , that in my short years of life 80 i wanted to say that you are one of a kind your special talent go engaging people , you have the special ability of making any person feel like they are special to you which in fact they are , the question they ask might be mundane , you answer in a positive and rewarding answer and you make that person the feel important, that said . god bless . (May the road rise up to meet you may the wind be always at your back may the sun shine warm upon your face and rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again may God hold you in the hollow of His hand ) Mike.
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

Patrick-

We've never met but I'm appreciative of this community that you've created, which has been incredibly helpful- first as ongoing motivation to figure out a way to get one of these boats and, now that I have one, as a resource for information and fraternity. Thank you- and peace be with you.

Max
Max
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

gplume

Post by gplume »

The only coherant man on the dock the morning after a Greenport Rendevous.....note empty Patron bottles on Brew's boat.
Giff
gplume

Post by gplume »

Two guys that want to toast you.
Giff
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Bertramp wrote:plus there ain't a lot of guys that look like me that have my passion to boats and Bertram's.
Don't be silly Steve, I think there are one or two other guys who basically have no neck......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Actually there is a difference in us, Steve: you are a steward of a Bahia Mar, I was steward of a Sportfisherman, Mike O and others of the Flybridge Cruisers, and let's not forget the Express Cruiser and Sedan stewards! But you are right; they are all Bertram 31s and Patrick managed to pull us all together in one sandbox!
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

Happy trails Patrick. You've been a good friend for a long time.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tommy wrote:Actually there is a difference in us, Steve: you are a steward of a Bahia Mar, I was steward of a Sportfisherman, Mike O and others of the Flybridge Cruisers, and let's not forget the Express Cruiser and Sedan stewards! But you are right; they are all Bertram 31s and Patrick managed to pull us all together in one sandbox!

Let s not forget the 28 footers, the 26's the 20's and going the other way the 35's, the 54's and the 31 modified boats, even ones with outboards ... and of course the occasional Hatteras owners....while the site is Bertram31.com I believe the only important thing one had to have is a good heart and love of water and boats...

Capt. Patrick, you brought together a bunch of people from all backgrounds and cultures, all treated with respect, you turned us into something more then a group of 31' Bertram owners...you turned us into a family of friends. Friends that lookout and care about one another...willing to share knowledge, time, resources...

While family is family, you can pick and choose your friends...I have always been of the mind, if you wanna know somebody, really know them...look at the people they associate themselves wth. The people they call friends...the people that consider you a friend...

Sir you put together one hell of a family of friends from around the globe...quite an accomplishment on your part. I am so happy and proud to have been a small part of it over the years.

Thank you for that and so much more...

Carl
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I have been reading this thread since it was posted and could not really bring myself to respond. I have nothing too elequont to say, so I'll just say Thank you Patrick, you are one of a kind and will be sorely missed. I'll let Tennyson say the rest:

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

outstanding photo`s of the brother-hood .we had fun and those days aboard with Brewster and company led by the capt. will never be forgotten,so help me God. thanks patrick
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Great point by Carl; although it started with Ray Hunt and Dick Bertram's creation of the 31, Capt. Patrick built up this community of boating enthusiasts where all are welcome and all benefit from the spirit of brotherhood and the knowledge that is shared here!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bertramp wrote:I sent this to Patrick last night via email, keyboard in one hand, a glass of cabernet in the other.
This morning, I chose to share with all ... Patrick, I trust that you will not be offended.

Hi Patrick...
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly here.
I'm not really sure why I decided to put my thoughts to print as compared to a call, not to say that a call will not follow.

The Bertram 31 website is a part of my daily life.
There are folks on there that I might pass on the street by sight, but I know who they are by name on the site.
Just last weekend, Raybo identified me by my license plate holder, knowing I'm a Long Island guy .... plus there ain't a lot of guys that look like me that have my passion to boats and Bertram's.

I've heard people say " live your life so that you will be happy with what might be said about you when you're gone".
You my friend have created a legacy !!
The B31 is a legacy in itself, but next to Ray Hunt and Richard Bertram, no one else has done as much for the vessel as you.
But that is only a part of your legacy.
What you have done for the folks that love the boat, in my opinion, is your number one honor !!

There are guys on this site that I would open my door to 24/7.....period!! I would not know them if not for you.

I commented to my wife about the B31.com plate frame on her car and told her that it would arguably get her flat tire changed on a rainy night here on Long Island, because Lico or Brew would step up for me as I would for them.

I thank you for welcoming me to a brotherhood.
A family in which I may not look like everyone else, but I can call the folks brother.
All the best my friend and ThankYou.

Wanna run for President ?? ..... Please, you've got my vote !! :-)

To further my point, this morning I wanted to post the picture of Craig and me in FL Bahia to Bahia.
I suck at posting pics here, so I sent a quick text "Hey Bob H, can you post this pic for me when you get a chance" ....as you can see, the picture is posted. Thanks Bro !! ..... that's what I'm talkin' about.
Steve

Well said.

A bunch of guys I have never met, plus some that I have that are all willing to help each other out.

A site like no other. Thank you Capt. Pat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

Hi Capt ,

Sad to hear that you are leaving us !
Thanks for your thoughts and ideas , I wish I had the chance to ever meet you in person , i bet we could talk for hours !!
I will meet you on the other side for sure !

stay strong , and I hope you are not in a lot of pain.

BR Gert.
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Captain, I enjoyed my time with you in Port Eads and Tropic Star. No filter stories and dock talk over a drink or more was a hell of a lot of fun with you. You are one of a kind, as are a bunch in this box.

I passed through Llano on Saturday. Certainly would have stopped had I known. Take comfort in the fact that you brought a whole bunch of rough and not so rough men and their families together for one cause. That's not easy and that legacy alone will continue in many families for years after we are all gone.
Yo' Frend-Tom
Viva la Presidente!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Patrick, my fren, Thanks for making life a bunch better for the Faithful. Your knowledge, your humor, your no-nonsense approach was always what we needed, when we needed it. You made our little sandbox a fabulous place to play.
Give Uncle Vic and Walt a hug for us all.
Fair winds,
Mikey
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I can only believe that Heaven needs some fixing-up and the good Lord is tired of sharing you with all of us.
Our loss. Our loss.
I came here to learn about bonding systems and fiberglass-ing and shaft runout and... Now those lessons appear as metaphors for quality and integrity of work for sure but of character and respect for each other.
Now add dignity to that list.
Thank you and Peace,
Stephan

Sea Fever
John Masefield

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking,

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.
Possunt quia posse videntur
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

As I said in an earlier post, I am very saddened by your news, you have touched so many lives in such a positive way, that words can not do it justice. You have had a great life Capt. Pat, we should all be so lucky to have people from around the world speaking from their hearts. That is the impact you have had and you should be so happy with the life you have lead and the quality you have shown. I know you, UV and Walter will have much to talk about. I hope Mark's daughter, Mara will be adopted by all of you. Please take care of her too, I know you will, she never had the opportunity to make that impact I'm sure she would have and made you and the rest of us proud.
Scott Traenkle
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Yo, Bertramp;
Steve, you do look just like your Bertram brothers. When you speak of B 31's you get that shit-eating grin on your face.
Was there something else?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Carl

Post by Carl »

Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Capt Pat,

I wish I was as eloquent as some, I would like to thank you for all your efforts and knowledge shared.

I was always amazed the quality of work that your were able to turn out working mostly by yourself.

Warmest regards and Godspeed.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Patrick,
My family and I were fortunate to have met you and seen your craftsmanship firsthand. You are a true friend. I was lucky to have talked with you and watch your master pieces come together.Thank you for creating this sand box.
Have a clear with UV, Walter, and others. While watching over all of us.

Tight Lines and Following Seas
Capt
1976 FBC
3208 NA
RattleandHum

Post by RattleandHum »

Captain Patrick, " the Renaissance man".

My name is Patrick Hancock. I have the distinct honor and privilege of owning the final 31 Bertram restored by the guru himself, Captain Patrick.

Although I am familiar with the bulletin board, in the 10 years I have known the Captain I have never posted a thought or comment until now. So, allow me the opportunity to share a few words about this salty old seaman. He is not only a fine craftsman but a damn good friend.

I met this man over ten years ago. By happenstance he had just moved to Llano, Texas and I reside in San Antonio. I had found on the Internet a beauty of a boat named " buddy boy". It was exactly what I wanted . I had the desire to restore a 31 just like this one. In my research I kept being told the guy who did the work lived in South Palm beach , Fla.

Finally, some smart cat on the phone said " Hey man, have you ever been to the Bertram 31 web site and I said of course". He said the creator/ administrator of that site is Capt. Patrick and he is the boat guy who restored "buddy boy". So, I got on the site and scrolled to the very bottom and there I found a phone number and of all things, an address in Llano , Texas, just 90 minutes from my back door in San Antonio.

Well that changed everything, at least I thought: The guy is in Texas. I made the call and got a rather salty reception. No way, he was done with full restoration work. I said, well let me at least come by and visit with you. He obliged my request and said he was always home. Some weeks later I found myself at his paradise just off the Llano river and of course on 31 Bertram lane. I pulled up , got out and hollered . He came out of his shop. This tiny stature of a man, long hair pulled back , full beard , chiseled features, faded navy tattoos, and of course wearing one of a million of his Bertam 31 T-shirts. Saltier , there are none.

He was kind and hospitable . We drank sweet tea and talked until dusk. I knew then what I know now. Nobody knows more about this very special boat, that we all love and treasure than he did.

So, by day's end I thought well I am in, he will take on a project? The final question of the day: will you help me find a 31 and restore it? His answer was short and sweet. No way, not happening. I left a bit deflated but I learned more in those few hours about that boat than you could ever learn on the Internet. From it's historical origin, performance, to it's specs, this guy knew it all.

About a month later, I got a call from the Captain. He said there is a 31 down in Port Aransas, Texas for sale. I said ok...

He said go buy it, pay this amount for it and get it trailered up to Llano. I really asked very few questions. I was just delighted he changed his mind. Soon thereafter, sitting on a trailer in front of his shop was a project that he loved and more often hated. True to form , this artist stared at this blank canvas for awhile, maybe months before he touched it. Early on, I made the grand mistake of asking him when he thought it would be done. You know he never really answered, it was more the look he shot me that made up for any verbal exchange resembling an answer. I never really asked again . Let me just say four years later he said come get this boat off my property, I am done!

Extraordinary, one man, with some help now and then, had taken this 1971 31 Bertram and transformed it into a boat that turned heads wherever my team docked it.

He had built tools and machines using physics and hydraulics to single handedly do the work. He sketched plans, much like Da Vinci had done in his time–that I know he shared on the website so others could learn from his ingenuity. He truly is a "Renaissance" man and there are damn few left.

I am so proud of this boat and the enjoyment it has brought the boys in my family and my mother watching us make our way back to the dock after long days of fishing from her gulf view balcony.

As I reflect on the numerous days I visited the Captain . It became less about the boat and more about visiting an old friend. Eating BBQ in Llano, shooting pistols with my son, talking politics and listening to stories from days past . Funny how life steers you in directions you least expect to meet someone special. For me an old offshore boat sitting in a pasture in Llano. What a story to tell.

RATTLEandHUM is the name of my 31 Bertram. It is named after a rock album performed by four passionate Irish musicians. I now know that my boat's name is fitting due to the love and passion the Captain put into each and every piece restoring it to it's glory.

I visited the Captain on Saturday. Let me report that he was in fine spirits. He is surrounded by his loving family and two lovely sisters who have his best interests foremost in their thoughts and actions. We should all be so lucky.

"O Captain! My Captain!" I love you man.

Patrick Hancock
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Capt. Patrick:

I'm at a loss for words. Although I haven't owned my B31 for almost 10 years now, there wasn't a single upgrade/update/modification made to that boat that you didn't have some positive impact on -- through your patience and generous sharing of knowledge I learned how to layup glass properly, the differences between epoxy, polyester and vinylester resins, etc. However, those are insignificant compared to the fellowship of the group of people you brought together on this board.

I can't count the number of times when someone was stuck on a project how at least a dozen responses would come up immediately with suggestions for help, offers to show how, or "I've got a couple of them sitting in my garage, send Patrick a couple $$$ to keep the site running and I'll ship one to you tomorrow. When bad weather pummeled certain locations, guys from safe locations were immediately offering help - -be it shelter, equipment, or even just a strong back to lend a hand. One example that still gives me chills was when I saw the pics of Harry Babb's gorgeous boat sunk -- and all of the brethren wanting to help -- and people like Bob H. and others not even asking Harry - just showing up to do what he could do. We never would have gotten together, known each other nor supported each other if you hadn't put this "little sandbox together for us to play in."

I remember meeting you for the first time with Uncle Vic and Walter K over in Montauk at the first Bertram rendezvous I attended -- I think it was maybe 2003 or 2004? We all piled into this 1987 Chevy Caprice station wagon "cab" to get dinner --- aka get drunk at a local watering hole. I believe that you, me, my buddy Billy, and Uncle Vic all crammed into the aft section - aka the trunk of the wagon, and others clamored into the seating section -- we were already a few clears to the wind at that point and fitting our extremely pliable bodies into that boot wasn't anywhere near as difficult nor entertaining as watching us try to get out.

The next time I saw you had to be the Mystic, CT rendezvous and we went out and got a giant bottle of Absolute -- and we made sure that EVERYONE of legal age took a chug straight from the bottle to salute our friend, Uncle Vic.

As I look back now, I agree with whomever named our little group "the brethren" and I cannot agree more with the comments about meeting my brothers on this site. Back 10 years ago when my life had some entertaining challenges, I got support from people on this board -- more support than I got from my business partners. People like you, and Mike O. and Bruce have a knack toward making sure that while we may good naturedly poke fun at each other, when the Hillary hits the fan, everyone here has each other's backs.

Dug Stowe has become an extremely close and considerate friend, he's my non-biological brother, I wouldn't have that without you.

I now have the balls to drill large holes in the hull of my boat without fear of a disaster, I wouldn't have that without you.

Harry Babb taught me how to speak Southern, I wouldn't have that without you.

Vic Roy taught me how to make a roux, jambalaya, gumbo.....I wouldn't have that without you.

Bruce taught me how to remove frozen bolts, how to pull heat exchangers and the importance of good mechanics gloves, and I wouldn't have that without you.

Bob H. taught me that you can not spend too much time in creating perfection, and I wouldn't have that without you.

Bob L. taught me that the B31 with 300HP Cummins can go faster through more crap than a triple engine Fountain, and I wouldn't have that without you.

Mike O. taught me that the Professor knows damn near anything that I think is important, I wouldn't have that without you.

Trey Dibrel taught me about the pink potion to save my batteries (I think it was Trey), and I wouldn't have that without you.

Most importantly, my friend, when I saw that wonderful waterfall and landscape that you built with your two hands you taught me that sometimes you just have to do things a little different than seems logical -- because you get the satisfaction of proving it can be done, and the joy of watching people scratch their heads as to "how the F did he come up with that." You are an American original, a craftsman and I'm honored to be your friend.

I have two requests of you -- bring some chalk with you so that you, Vic and Walter can be ready to outline whichever of you goes Thuddddddd zone when you have your clears together and please put in an absentee ballot for anyone but the beast -- god help us if she wins!

God bless you and keep you in his loving heart.

It has been my pleasure, you old bilge rat!

TailhookTom
Dug

Post by Dug »

Pat,

You did this too. :)

https://vimeo.com/179238526
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Dug wrote:Pat, You did this too. :)
There's worse things to be responsible for... <wink>
Rapscallion

Post by Rapscallion »

Cap'n , in many ways I feel we should call you Uncle Patrick because of the support and assistance you have given all of us over the years and at the same time call you Brother Patrick for your love and friendship. I recall the first time we met when you came to my house in Palm Beach to look at RAPSCALLION back in "99 or so and also remember having a few "clears" with you, Uncle Vic and others at the FLOP HOUSE in Ft. Liquordale during boat show. Most memorable , however, was you and Bruce coming to NC with BUDDY BOY for our NC Bertram 31 Rendezvous some years back. there is a great framed photo of you and John C from that event in the Pin Fish Lounge at Bertram Ground Zero in Morehead city, the Causeway Marina.....you are both doubled over in laughter.

Times like this take me to setting out to sea and crossing the inlet "bar" as said by Alfred, Lord Tenneyson's poem CROSSING THE BAR, and I quote from the last verse:

"For tho' from our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have last crossed the bar

Farewell Brother!
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Wow! Not much to say. Impossible to say anything more meaningful than what has been written in the countless posts that precede this one. To have such impact on so many persons all over the world is not something that most can say... but I know you can Capt.
I have been off the grid for a few years but am back in the water now. About 8 yrs ago I did a huge repower/diesel conversion on my own. The members on this site including Capt Pat were incredibly helpful on my project (even though it was a B28 and not a B31, lol). Any time I have posed a question on this site I get all kinds of help, it is an incredible group. I honestly want you to know how grateful I truly am for this site. Thank you!

I am very sorry for this terrible news.

Frank Valerio
Massapequa Park, NY 11762
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Happy trails Captain.
I know you'll start "Bertram31.heavens" up there...
Save us a seat near you.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

RIP Captain Pat, thank you for everything you have done. You will be missed. Joe
4 1/2 years to build, Slashed Sept 16, 2016. 212 hours already and counting.
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Capt. Patrick,

I just feel gut shot.

I moved from the Midwest to Newport Beach, CA when I was 15. By the time I was 16, I was working part time at the boatyards around town. I mostly did all the jobs no one else wanted to do because I just wanted to be around boats. The first time I saw a Bertram 31 at one of the yards, I just paused for a minute to take in how perfect her lines were. I remember saying to myself, "Man, I want one of those someday."

Flash forward to 2003. I was looking for a bigger boat and thought, "I wonder how the Bertram 31 has held up over the years." I hadn't seen any on the water in Northern California. I got on the internet and searched and came across Bertram31.com. I was immediately struck by the wealth of information and the fraternal nature of "The Faithful." Without this website, I doubt I would have taken the plunge on 25 year-old boat at the time. I'm glad I became a steward.

Thank you for everything you've done for all of us here. Thank you for all the responses to my questions, and thank you for taking my phone calls when I didn't understand what you had written, I will be indebted to you forever. I'm proud to call you my friend.

Godspeed.

John Vietor
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

Very sad news. You are one of a kind with your vast boat building knowledge . You have been very kind to me and my son. Thank you and may God be with you.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Any word on Patrick’s health? on how he is feeling, on what he needs? I know this community can do a lot, we just need to know. Mike? Bruce? What does he need?
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Pat is in San Antonio, at his sisters home. He's still quite alert, but has trouble communicating. He can think the thoughts, but can't get them to go from his head to his fingers to the keyboard.

He's still reading the board twice each day, and enjoys seeing the posts.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Hi Everyone, this is Ken C here. I was one of the original ones on the site when it first came on line with Thud, Uncle Vic, Rick ect... Capt Pat is a GREAT man, helped me out many times by sharing his knowledge with all of us, and bringing everyone here together. Even when I sold my Bertram 31 about ten years ago, he told me I was always welcome here. Ive been lurking on here from time to time. Shocked to hear Uncle Vic had passed and now Capt Pats health. I just had to post something to tell him THANKS for all he done for us.

Capt Pat, I hope you see this and remember you and Bertram 31 will not be forgotten.

Ken (Patti Ann)
Capt. Mac Creech

Post by Capt. Mac Creech »

Terrible news, You've been so helpful to me. Thanks for everything.
It has been my pleasure to spend time with and know you.
Tell the guys hello.
Mac
Bruce
Site Admin

Goodbye Faithful

Post by Bruce »

It is with extreme sadness that I report Capt Pat passed this morning with family by his side.
Peacefully and with complete dignity to the end.
Words fail me at this time what Pat meant to me.
Dug

Re: Capt Pat.

Post by Dug »

Bruce,
Thanks for letting us all know. 100% with you my friend. Patrick, thank you for giving us all you did. Each other. The ability to say goodbye in a real and meaningful way. Godspeed my friend... Keep an eye on us if you don't mind. Say hi to Walter, Vic and all the others who have gone before you and have loved this boat. And to Dick Bertram too.

Sad day. We've lost a dear, dear friend.

Bruce, thinking of you, and the rest of Pat's family today and for a long while. Friends like you, and him, come along rarely. It was a friendship that was a blast to watch.

Dug
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

My deepest sympathy and condolences to Patrick's family and his brothers in Bertram31.com -- the world lost a craftsman, gentleman and caring man today.

I'm doing what I know Patrick would want me to do and head over to my boat with my dog, Kona, we are going to slip the lines and head out to a quiet and peaceful spot and say farewell.

Sea Fever

By John Masefield

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,

And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;

And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,

And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide

Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;

And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,

And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,

To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;

And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,

And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Praying for a true gentleman today...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Greg A.

Post by Greg A. »

I don't own a 31, but my family did as a teen and I've been in love with them since. Thanks to Capt. Pat, Bruce, and the rest of everyone on this site I have been able to continue my affair with this boat since this site started. I have followed the posts, drooled over photos, and used some advice on my own little 19 Mako. I was lucky enough to meet Capt. Pat once, at the Atlantic City Rendezvous. He actually took them time to talk 31's with me, even though I didn't own one. He was also a true master of all things Bertram, and much that wasn't.

To Bruce and the rest of the regulars, as well as to other visitors like myself I offer my most sincere condolences, especially to his family. He was a remarkable man who touched many people.

Godspeed Capt. Pat.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Rest easy my friend...my condolences to Pats family.
My thoughts and prayers are with you Bruce.
BH