Capt Pat.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

gplume

Re: Goodbye Faithful...

Post by gplume »

Captain Patrick-

Tough news. Krys and I send our very best. You are truely one of a kind, and we will miss you dearly. Go in peace knowing what you have created here with this Internet site. We have established friends of like minded interest across the worlds....a bunch of guys that would be the last people on earth you would term "internet weenies", yet I look left, and look right and see I see my brothers, "the faithful". Good job my friend.

Always appreciated your advice and coaching. Did not matter if you had the most "tricked out" Bertram 31, or a more humble version like my Shearwater....or for that matter even a trawler. I have done things I would have never done without this site and your help.

Say high to Walter, and while I did not meet Uncle Vic, give him the best from the "faithful".

Godspeed
Giff & Krys
Giff
neil

Post by neil »

Capt. Pat,

The inspiration you've given my family is beyond words. My two boys have learned (yes both Neil's) respect and love for the beauty of our 31, so many ideas and continual improvement for her. Our family, of course including Uncle Markie loved our summer rendezvous with the faithful and taking part in your sermons. The friends that have become our family are because of you. We love you and pray for peace for you. Tight lines and calm seas.

Cathy
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I'm still in shock over this news you are one of my true heroes you've made me a better person
I want to get one of those writers that you made for me off my old Bertram so I can have something that you made
You will be in my heart always
Your final inspiration is how you're excepting this news and I are at peace with it
See you on the other side brother hopefully not too soon though !!!!!!
Mitch
LesBrown

Post by LesBrown »

Capt Pat, I am also at a loss for words. Tim and I are the closest to you, being we are here in central Texas so if there is anything that we can do for you or your family, please let us know. I enjoyed the lunch we had together late last year in Llano. You are going to be missed by many of us. Again if there is anything I can do please call me, Les Brown.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Captain Pat,
Thank you for all that you have created here. Becuase of you this little spot is like a family. Because of this family, my direct family has enjoyed something that would have been unattainable without the knowledge I have gained here. I will always remember you sir.
Kevin
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Capt. Pat,
I am so at a loss for words. I have and will always hold the knowledge you have given me to do things I have never thought I could do. There are often times I say to myself "That's how Capt. Pat would do it"(just ask Melissa) and I would follow through with just that way, be it boats, houses, anything that makes me think of the way you think things out meticulously before proceeding. I have never met you but, my integrity for you and who you are will always be in my heart. I wish you peace, and please know we all care very much for you! Rocky
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Captain Patrick

I am not ashamed to say that I have tears in my eyes as I write this heartfelt but inadequate note to you. I just finished reading every one of the 55 posts that precede this one, It isn’t easy for a bunch of hardassed guys to express their deepest feelings to others.. some of respect, some of thanks and yes.. all of love.

A man is taught that he shouldn’t show his emotions openly, yet each of the 55 are showing how, in our own way our love you. Each of us should be so lucky to be able to say as they complete their watch that 55 .. actually now 56, men are willing to look deep inside their inner selves and express love for another.
From the first day I found the Bertram 31 site I knew that it was something special. I didn’t understand what made I so special, but I knew that in one way or another I wanted to be a part of it. I came here out of nowhere and was accepted with respect, with understanding, and with a sincere desire to help me improve my boat. It didn’t take me long to realize that the umbrella over this site and it’s members was you.. your guidance, your sincere desire to help us all, and your desire that we all grow together, and help each other. It is you, my friend, who made this site what it is.

I have said here before that with your advice, knowledge and willingness to share with me, and all of us, your recommendations, that you are a large part of “Phoenix”. Every time I walk down the ramp to her slip I see her and in my mind I see you as well. You reside in her bones, and always will.

You may not be physically present, but nevertheless you will always be part of each of our boats. That is your enduring legacy.. you will always be the first mate on each of our boats.

The Bertram weather has calmed, and the sun will shine upon you.

Hold Mara on your knee, buy a round for UV, Walter and Dave, and share sea stories with them.

Fair winds and calm seas my friend, this is our wish for you.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
capy

Post by capy »

So sorry to hear it Patrick, have not been around much but wanted you to know you will be missed and Im glad I got to spend with time with you.

Say hi to UV and save a place for me at the bar......

Paul
1961 Sportfish Hull# 5-35
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Oh my God Pat! I had no idea! I am so sad. With UV gone and now you going I feel like part of my life support network is gone! You were always the backbone of this site and the ultimate answer when us B31 owners were stumped or in need.

Just know ,as others have said, that you have deeply touched and affected all of us in a positive way, which is more than most can say of their lives. As long as we can keep this site running your wisdom and talent will live on to assist future B31 owners. I will miss you my friend but will cherish the memories! God speed, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Rawleigh
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
ford351c594

Post by ford351c594 »

wow. sorry to hear about this. I just talked to you on the phone about joining and I could hear the pride in your voice over the site. Best wishes going forward to you and your family.
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
"smart people learn from their mistakes, the smartest people learn from others and their mistakes"
MikeD@Lightningshack

Post by MikeD@Lightningshack »

In the Grand Scheme we all be coming with you, rather soon too!

I know you made the most of this portion of your journey. You are a true leader that EARNED a huge level of following, admiration and respect with hard work and a passion for getting it right!

You will live forever with this group! Thanks for bringing us on board and letting us be a part of your time here.

"Adios and Vaya Con Dios"
Mike
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Tough news.....just to echo what Mike said.."Thanks for bringing us on board and letting us be a part of your time here.."

"Time cuts down all,
both great and small"

Salute my friend
Ray
1971 Sportfish 314 49 1103
1994 B28 BERF2720L394
Fishin Tom
Location: Stuart, Florida and Holtz Boatworks, Southern New Jersey

Post by Fishin Tom »

Dear Commander Patrick:

When we met in the earliest days of the web site on my Elusive in Stuart I could not forget just how helpful, considerate and appreciative of my own boat.

We exchanged many views and offered suggestions to the new owners and over the years I did many 31's with your blessings, advise, and coaching. You are and will always be one of the most knowledgeable craftsman in the boating industry today. The world enjoyed you and all your help, views and knowledge.

We all have struggles and problems, but forget to say thank you to those who have meant so very much to this site and the industry. We all desire to exceed our expectations, build fast and flashy Bertrams in your honor and will for ever be in your debt.

Can you just do me one more favor or piece of advise.....Save me a seat near you, it would be the final honor.

Look down on us with all the pride you so truly deserve...

My Best to you

Tom Oakes, Holtz Boatworks
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Capitán Patricio:

Its been 24 hours since I read your post and I still feel nausea. Every time I try to write something I stand up and leave the room. I cannot describe what this site means to me and the respect I have for what you have done. Too many loved ones lost during 2016. First my Mom, then my Grandma and now these terrible news. I never had the honor of meeting you personally but this site makes me feel like I don't need to. Feel proud, feel at ease, you've done enough and we will make sure that:

"THE SUN WILL NEVER SET IN BERTRAM31.COM"

David
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Patrick,

Thank you for all you have done for us on the board, and really indirectly for my family as well. We have been able to enjoy our Bertram 31 much more because of you and your generosity of your knowledge and skills.

You will be hugely missed by so many.

Steve Marinak
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I just spoke with Patrick. He's checking the board twice each day, and he is reading and is appreciative of all of these posts.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

God bless and God speed to you Captain Patrick.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Capt. Patrick,
Having met you 18 years ago I consider you one of the very few people that has had profound affect on the lives of anyone that came into contact with you. From the old days of the Coastal Conservation meetings to countless hours discussing 31 Bertram's, their flaws and their dedicated owners. Your a true gentleman that served his country in the U.S. Navy, a master jeweler, a charter captain , an animal lover and a true craftsman, whether building a motorcycle or a helm pod. I remember sitting in that cramped little storage unit you called home, we discussed everything from Apple computers to Glocks. I am truly going to miss you, may the wind be always at your back and the seas be calm forever.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Mack

Post by Mack »

Capt-
I haven't been on the board much lately, but I have to say that I am shocked and disappointed to learn of your news. I don't know what to say other than "thank you" for creating this sandbox, sharing your wealth of knowledge, and bringing us all together. It was great getting to know you at the UVI held at Tropic Star several years back. Goes without saying you will very much be missed.
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Mike, Thank you for keeping us up to date. Words won't do so a pic is worth a thousand words. Pals.....BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

This is his legacy. This is what the man did.....

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Perfect Mike....post up those pics Bertram Brothers...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
reel easy
Standing Member

Post by reel easy »

Capt. Pat, although I have never had the pleasure of meeting you in person, I must say I cannot express how upsetting I find this news. You always have been very helpful and enlightening every time I have asked for advice; tirelessly making time to help me all the while demonstrating incredible patience as I have tried to cram in many questions in a short window of time. For that I thank you. You are an icon in the world of Bertram especially 31’s and your legacy will continue. God speed my friend
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

hb
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

hb
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

hb
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

hb
JK

Post by JK »

Capt. Pat,

Been a long time and shocked to hear of the news. Because of you,your work on this site and your passion for the 31 I've met some amazing people, made the best of friends and most importantly became a lot closer to my father the past 10 years of his life. I can't thank you enough for that.

Tight lines and following seas my friend. This song always makes me think of Ahab and now you.

Drink it up
This ones for you
It's been a lovely cruise
I'm sorry it's ended
It's sad but it's true
Honey it's been a lovely cruise

These moments were left with
May you always remember
These moments are shared by few
There's wind in our hair
And there's water in our shoes
Honey, it's been a lovely cruise

These moments we're left with
May you always remember
These moments are shared by few
And those harbor lights
Aw they're coming into view
We bid our farewell much too soon
So drink it up
This one's for you
Honey, it's been a lovely cruise
Yea baby, it's been a lovely cruise
Oh darlin' it's been a lovely cruise
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Captain Patrick if there was a boat-building week like Shark Week you would be on the entire week I'll see you on the big pond my friend Godspeed
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Matt Holcomb

Post by Matt Holcomb »

Capt. Pat

Sorry to hear this news. You are a one of a kind. I'm glad I got to meet you. Tell UV hi for me.

Best regards

Matt
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

More pics of Patrick please. Post up whatever you've got.

If you don't have one of Patrick, post one of your boat and the people that indirectly love him like my family would, if they only knew how he has made their life on the boat that much nicer.
I have told all of them this morning, about the man behind the website (they know I frequent), and all the knowledge and friendship he has provided us.

THANK YOU PATRICK WE ALL LOVE YOU
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Some of Pats work. Island Girl, formerly owned by Tommy Drake. Now living the good life in Monaco.

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

NC Rendezvous around 2009.

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Patrick and Bruce, running Island Girl (yellow hull).

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks for posting, Mike! On the last photo, Pat & Bruce are on their work of art, Jim Bailey's old Buddy Boy. The photographer was shooting from Island Girl. Great times with great people, all because Capt. Pat created this little corner of the Internet for us to gather and meet! You will forever be in our hearts!
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

That last picture reminds me of the view that made me say "one day I'll have one of those"...

I have started a separate thread on that...
Last edited by Navatech on Aug 12th, '16, 14:27, edited 2 times in total.
FreddyP
Standing Member

Post by FreddyP »

Capt. Patrick -
It is with a heavy heart that I write this message. It is a blessing to have known you and also that all have been given the chance to express our thoughts to you. We only corresponded a few times directly, but I assure you that for me it seems like so much more. Your presence will undoubtedly be greatly missed by all and I thank you for all you have done. My love for boats, especially the 31, has a lot to do with your generosity of knowledge and unmatched wisdom. Godspeed Patrick.
Fred
Fred
Warwick, RI
31 Bertram "Sea Hunter"
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Hey Pat, Dug Stowe's daughter Olivia wanted to say hey.....

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Howesounder

Post by Howesounder »

Sir,
I have been reading, and re reading these posts for days. Your post, and the resulting posts are very humbling. We never met, but I can not,.......not speak up. One knows so much more about the company they have been keeping, even on line, from the daily conduct of the members, and now of course this sad news and all of the love and appreciation being expressed. Thank you.

Steve Carter
Dug

Post by Dug »

Mike, thanks for posting that up. She really did ask me to say hi to Patrick. :)
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Thank you Capt Pat!! Family fun inspired by you and the Sandbox!

Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Greenport ;

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Write-up on Capt. Patrick McCrary
From NC Boating Lifestyle Magazine
NC Bertram Rendezvous, Summer, 2004

"Not bad for a small gathering of Eagles," says Captain Patrick McCrary. The eagle is the symbol on the flank of every Bertram 31, and Capt. Patrick is an honored guest up today from Palm Beach, Florida: he's the man who founded www.bertram31.com in 1999, the definitive website for Bertram enthusiasts and the place where plans for this cruise originated. McCrary, who restores Bertrams down in Florida, started the site as a bulletin board four years ago and it has since grown to encompass history pages, building tips, a parts database (parts have been discontinued for twenty years), and instructions on how to hold an event like the one we're at today. "I didn't expect to get 600-650 thousand hits a month," the captain admits. That's a staggering figure, especially since Bertram made only 1,860 31s between 1961 and 1984. And consider this: though they've been out of production for as long as they were actually in production, Bertram 31s are still in use all over – and I mean all over – the world. The cops in the port of San Diego have one, as do harbor cops in Thailand. On the website are pictures of 31s taken up and down the eastern coast of the US, in Alaska and Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Canada and Mexico. Hardy Bertram 31s also survive in Portugal, Monaco, Sweden, Japan, Italy, South Africa, the West Indies and Tahiti.

Today Captain Patrick drives the Buddy Boy, a Palm Beach yellow Bertram 31 which he rebuilt for North Carolina boater and Beaufort businessman Jim Bailey. Pat's here at the behest of Lin Spears and the other 31 owners, most of whom are regular visitors to his site and all of whom stop to listen when he's talking about the 31. In his boots, Harley Davidson t-shirt and beard, Patrick looks more like a biker than a boater, but he's a celebrity in the Bertram world and his restorations are legendary. For the Buddy Boy, Capt. Patrick planed off some of the more stark angles and glassed in the body and hull to make it all one piece. He added a fish box to the transom — from a kit he designed and sells on his site — and installed a new windshield he built to the same specifications as the original, but he kept the overall Bertram shape, as distinctive on the water as a Carolina flare or Boston Whaler. "What I'm trying to do is maintain the classic integrity in the exterior," he says. "In the cabin area I take full artistic license." Inside the teak and maple cabin he's elevated the overhead by six inches and routed all the electricity through a dropdown panel. The head he shortened by a few inches but added a rounded corner door to make the space more efficient. "This is Jim Bailey's picnic boat," Patrick says at the dock. "It's his challenge to Martha Stewart." He climbs to the fly-bridge; t's time to roll out.

"Gentlemen, start your engines," Lin shouts through cupped hands from his own captain's loft. The 31s roar to life, some with the original gas engines and some, like Lin's which have been refitted with diesels. The sun climbs higher in the sky as we peel from the public dock at Beaufort and move out through the channels into open water. Lin takes the point as the other classic boats flank him on either side. Their wakes mingle and roil when they open up in the ICW and the hulls, which if they were people, would be old enough to have families, perform admirably in the light chop. At the approach to Harkers Point, the flotilla forms a column nine boats long, a string of Bertram 31s spanning time and space, arcing into the ICW on the North Carolina coast.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Joseph Fikentscher wrote:Thank you Capt Pat!! Family fun inspired by you and the Sandbox!

Fixed it for you...
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Thanks Nav!
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »