mike
I passed right over that
didn't even look who wrote it
thanks for the heads up
1968 hull # 316 - 757
IRGuy

Re: Capt Pat.

Post by IRGuy »

As I am sure is the case with all of us, Captain Patrick has been on my mind a lot since his passing.

I suspect he can be said to be the most influential person ever in keeping the Bertram spirit alive through his dedication to the B31 in all it's forms.

The new Bertram 35 is modeled after the B31.. how sad it is that Captain Patrick was never able to see a B35 in person.. he resides in all surviving B31s.. and his spirit is in the new B35 as well.

Hopefully one day someone will name either rheir B31 or new B35 "Captain Pat"!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Rapscallion

Post by Rapscallion »

I recall from a biography on Ernest Hemingway, a time when H and his pal Joe Russell (Sloppy Joe"s Joe Russell- Key West Duvall St.) had recently lost a pal, in the wake of the loss of several other friends earlier. The weight of these losses were heavy so they did what H and Joe did best, drink and fish. The rounded up Capt. Gregorio Fuentes and some supplies and headed down to PILAR and set out for Cuba, fishing along the way. along the way. As the rum took control , H and Joe found themselves crying and reflecting on their lost friends. it was during this time that Joe said ........."people have died this year that a'int never died before".

This is one of my favorite quotes.

I think I'll head down to RAPSCALLION now myself. RIP Capt.Patrick.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

May the wind be always on your back, God speed, Captain Patrick.

Thank you for a great ride; your advice and friendship will always be at heart. I will miss you deeply.

RIP
A/K/A El Gaupo
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Pat has confronted a number of Web thefts off this site, most of which didn't link back or credit him. The last one to do it cost the intellectual thief some cash.

Frankly this is copy right infringement even though Pats name is on the article, no permission was given to reprint it in a publication that derives an income from it.
With Pat gone, some may think the site is wide open for the taking. I'm here to warn it is not by any stretch.

That's not to say with proper permission things off the site can't be used. To this end I will be posting my email address in a separate thread for anyone to contact me for anything.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bruce

Interesting. I also believe dome place on the site there is a warning about using site material.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Bruce wrote:Pat has confronted a number of Web thefts off this site, most of which didn't link back or credit him. The last one to do it cost the intellectual thief some cash.

Frankly this is copy right infringement even though Pats name is on the article, no permission was given to reprint it in a publication that derives an income from it.
With Pat gone, some may think the site is wide open for the taking. I'm here to warn it is not by any stretch.

That's not to say with proper permission things off the site can't be used. To this end I will be posting my email address in a separate thread for anyone to contact me for anything.
I'm not a lawyer (and possibly one of the brothers who is can chime in) but I think that part of the problem is with Capt. Pat's standard disclaimer at the bottom of the tips pages:
Have fun! Feel free to download and print these drawings, but please don't use it on a website without linking it to Bertram31.com.
First problem I see is that it specifically mentions only the drawings (instead of the whole article)...

Second problem I see is that it can be understood to mean that using it (for any purpose) is allowed as long as a credit is given in the form of a link back to the site...
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Maybe it should say something like ". . . for personal use only and not for reprint or commercial use."
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tom

Post by Tom »

IRGuy wrote:As I am sure is the case with all of us, Captain Patrick has been on my mind a lot since his passing.

I suspect he can be said to be the most influential person ever in keeping the Bertram spirit alive through his dedication to the B31 in all it's forms.

The new Bertram 35 is modeled after the B31.. how sad it is that Captain Patrick was never able to see a B35 in person.. he resides in all surviving B31s.. and his spirit is in the new B35 as well.

Hopefully one day someone will name either rheir B31 or new B35 "Captain Pat"!
I can promise you, Capt Pat would have hated the new B35! Grumpy Ol Fart that he was.
Viva la Presidente!
Goober

Post by Goober »

As a member since app 2012 wen I bought my 78 / 31 fbc and being a welder / fabricator since 1970 I was well educated In the art of metal repair regardless of wat it was BUTT after reading answers concerning repair of certain things concerning a 31 I discovered I was much misinformed and I paid particular interest to wat ever Capt Pat advised . It made my life so much simpler not only taking his knowledge but so many other guys as well .Mike plz know I visit this site regularly and I will keep on doing so with my deepest respect to Capt Pat and to u guys for keeping it going .plz post address for new donation site
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Please note--that I contacted Capt Pat and received permission to reprint these articles in Boating World---and have made donations each time I use an article.

When I first called him back in May , I also suggested he begin to write new articles for the magazine.

Craig Mac
rick44131

Post by rick44131 »

Been away from the board for a while and so sorry to learn of Capt Pat's passing. I just sold my B28 (with his rudders) and thought of him. Over the years I had many projects on the boat and the majority of them Capt Pat had done at least once. He always took the time to explain to me just how he would go about solving my challenges. Although I only met him once at his shop in Florida that friendship and respect remained for years.
Olivier
Standing Member

Post by Olivier »

Just coming after a month and very sad, i never meet him but he help me to much on the rebuilt of my 31's, i don't have words...
My condolences to the family and all his friends, really sad moment.
He will be always with us be sure of that.
1972 BERTRAM 31 hull number NJZ594940686
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Mike/Bruce,
Any news on a celebration of life for Patrick? Us po folk up in fly over country plan waaay ahead for trips to such events.

-Mark
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Most likely a ceremony at the NC rendezvous this spring.

Info as it becomes clearer.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
neil

Post by neil »

Whom ever attends the NC gathering please express our love for the capt he has had a great impact on our family and will continue do so for the rest of our lives.he will be missed for forever
mikepelham

Post by mikepelham »

So sad, Pat helped me through my rebuild and he was amazing. I lost my Dad in 2015 and he was such an influence I relied on Pat, he is gone now as well. Hopefully they are enjoying a drink in Heaven together! I have been a mostly silent participant but have read, experienced, laughed and cried with all of your posts and I thank you. I wish you all a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah and happy holidays!
31Bertram

Post by 31Bertram »

As Capt Pat knows so well I do not use the internet.
I first met Patrick in 2001 down in Florida. when I bought my first 31 aptly named "31Bertram". I had just restored my personal charter and commercial fishing boats so I knew just enough about boat building to be dangerous.
Capt Pat and I had a lot in common, and we saw eye to eye on most things from work ethics, dealing with difficult customers to our lives as licensed Captains. I would typically try to get my customers to buy direct from him but occasionally I would have to take deliver of his parts for shipping purposes. I would marvel and his craftsmanship, his example of Artistry and craftsmanship would set the bar higher for the work in my shop.
I would typically talk to him a few times a year, mostly when a customer would say "I can't get ahold of that guy". Even if a customer couldn't get thru Captain Pat would always answer my calls and sometimes we would jabber on for hours about life's stuff. Capt Pat knew my enthusiasm for grinding fiberglass has been dwindling and my excitement for tooling boat trailers has been dominating my life. This past season I wanted to list a couple of my boats for sale and was a bit surprised when he didn't answer my call nor returned my phone call from before the holidays. Patrick would always tell me that I should sign on and "mix it up" on the site, Now that I am beginning to retire my Bertram work I will try to honor his wishes and "mix it up a bit".
To my brother, Captain Patrick your long winded conversations will be lovingly be missed as will your words of wisdom.
Here is a nugget of wisdom that Capt Patrick bestowed upon me that I think of DAILY, that I realize that although my father a master of tooling, never said it was just another thing they both shared in common besides boats and the sea.
"Its all in the Tooling"
So in the coming months my work will be in memory of Capt Pat, dedicating my life to "Tooling".
To my Brother Captain Patrick McCrary,
May the sun and winds be at your back, tight lines
Capt, Alex Whitaker
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Capt Alex,
Pat spoke very fondly of you often.

Pat and I talked almost every week, we rambled on about everything except why we called each other in the first place and laughed about it when we forgot why.
I would never call him if my cell battery was 1/2 or lower as it would go dead before we were done.

Welcome aboard.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Welcome Capt Alex,
Capt Pat spoke well of you over the years. Glad you decide to come aboard and "Mix It Up" with us. A bit cliche, but fits...any friend of Captain Pats is a friend of mine.
Carl
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,
No doubt youv 'been a good one.
Bruce, no need.
Im actually drinkin to you guys !!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
31Bertram

Post by 31Bertram »

Bruce, thanks for the kind words.
I am wondering how I just jumped in and signed on without an account (typed in my email and pressed "lost password")?
What parts will customers have access to? I assume we can still refer them to you for the rudders and windshield?.
I build my own rudders but its a big job to tie up machines for one offs, I prefer making a run of many parts.
What about the fiberglass items? (they look like a lot of work).
I assume you be managing Bertram31, so just let me know if you ever need anything to keep the site rolling.
Its always invigorating to see all the energy of our 31 community.
Alex
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Alex,
Most of the moulds after Pat passed got thrown out they needed extensive repairs. I gave out Bobby Soles number so people could go directly to them for the rudders.

Pat asked me to keep the 31 site going as long as I could, Mike has helped tremendously. This was very sudden and I am trying to get things in ownership switched to me. It's been difficult. I hope to have by the end of the week the Corp papers done and then a bank account to accept donations to keep the site going. I have some personal items of Pats to put up for auction comming soon I hope.

I thought as you get older, life slows down. Mine has sped up like I've fallen off a cliff. Time management becomes critical.

Pat would be proud how the members have carried on. If things work out, a memorial will be done at the NC meet in June.
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

Nice to see Alex on -

Ten years ago I needed a trailer for the 28 I was buying in NY and asked Capt. Pat for a recommendation. He told me to give Alex a call…

Sunday I was putting the trailer back under the 28 and marveling at what a great piece of work Alex had done.

Today I log on here and see Alex's post. Nice full circle.

Many thanks to both Captains.
31Bertram

Post by 31Bertram »

I do recall! You drove all the way down picked up the trailer, drove to New York and all the way back to somewhere in BC. I remember you live on an island and use your Bertram as transportation. A few years ago a customer invited me to fish on Vancouver island. Are you near there? Boy we got crabs, shrimp, halibut, salmon and more lingcod than you can shake a stick at. Great to see the Bertram and trailer are serving you well. Keep in touch, its one of my many goals in life that someday I would love to see more of that area, its just beautiful.
Alex