Happy Birthday Uncle Vic!!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Happy Birthday Uncle Vic!!

Post by mike ohlstein »

It's that time again.....

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tommy

Re: Happy Birthday Uncle Vic!!

Post by Tommy »

Gone but not forgotten!
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Seems like this guy has a birthday every year......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Vic was a very unique gentleman.......I certainly enjoyed his company! !

Happy Birthday Vic

hb
hb
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Very nice.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I knew I was finally a member when I ordered a case of CX from him and he said he did not need advanced payment from one of the faithfull.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Good times at Tropic Star! Gone but never forgotten!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Happy birthday Uncle Vic - I hope you are still rattling the crooked banker's cages - although I doubt they are in the same place you are!

Tom
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

You just have to love the "Vic Roy" on the bottom of the beer coozie. I guess fishing with the crew he was with, he had to make sure he could keep them from grabbing his gear. Although I never had the pleasure of meeting him, I felt like I knew him from all of his posts on the board.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

happy birthday UV
hoist a clear one with Capt Pat
and Walter, sonny
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Dug

Post by Dug »

Happy Birthday UV. I miss ya. I miss the fun you created and the knowledge you shared.

Yo Fren',

Dug
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

There some shit going on up there today! I know a gal that might swing by.....

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Dug

Post by Dug »

Mark,

:)

Dug
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Sure is quiet without him. God bless him, Capt Pat, Dave and Walter.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Uncle Vic...

The friend I never met.

RIP UV
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Remembering Vic, on what would have been his 76th birthday.

Interestingly on the exact anniversary of his passing back in May, a Sunday NY Times word game that I play contained his name. As soon as I wrote viceroy I thought, viceroy? That's Vic Roy. Some pretty darn long odds right there. First time I've ever seen anybody's name in there.

I showed it to Andre who showed it to Vic's wife, Miss Elaine. Elaine said that she had been looking for a sign from Vic.....

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Uncle Vic, was the "straw that stirred the drink" on this Discussion Board from the time Capt. Patrick founded it until Vic's untimely passing. Thanks for the memories...............
Carl

Post by Carl »

The Platinum Spark Plug...

I always looked forward to his stories, his recipes and the knowledge he freely offered to so many.

Happy Birthday to you UV, hasn't been the same without you.
neil

Post by neil »

The first time we met him was newportand capt pat said that he was the platinum spark plug behind our site that’s is how we knew we met a gem,two weeks from tomorrow we leave for greenport,looking forward to see the faithful
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Happy B-day UV! glad we had a chance to meet and discuss boats and life.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Man how time flies. Sure got quiet after he left us.

Tommy is right he knew how to stir it. He was the only one that ever got Capt. Pat to lock down a thread. I believe just before the thread got locked The Capt Pat told him he was getting his shorts twisted for no reason.

But he was one of the best and a big reason this board has hung together so well.

Unfortunately I can not make Greenport so be sure to hoist a toast to Capt. Pat, Walter, Dave, Walter and all the other brothers who have left us, including Mark's daughter who is probably sitting on one of their knees.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

One of the first things I read when I joined up here (18 yrs ago?) was a short story Vic wrote about a couple of cowboys...wish I could find it.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Happy Birthday UV, one of the few of the old guard I never had the opportunity to meet in person. I did have a number of phone conversations where he imparted his words of wisdom. I also still have a couple of cans of corrosion X from the cases he had sent me, which probably means I'm not on top of my maintenance as much as I should be.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Second place is WIDE open....................

In honor, here is a past UV post on the Ports Eads tournament.

You live, you die, but have you fished the UVI?

"Well, a week from today we will be at Port Eads cranking up the UVI. Forecast calls for good weather. Got AJ all ready to roll, new Racor filters (man, they were filthy), new raw water pump impellers, all the tackle sorted out, fighting chair and rocket launcher back for it all aboard.

Cranked the genset last nite to check the voltage and cycles, all fine, then it quit. Cranked up and quit. Hmmmmmmm. Felt the raw water pump housing and it was hot, shot with heat gun, hot. Pulled the impeller and it was shreeded. Big chunk in an elbow on one of the hoses. Took forever to get that out, then went hunting for a new impeller in the place where about 50 impellers live, between the v-berths. No impeller for the genset. Got impellers for the previous Farryman genset (11 years ago gone), plenty impellers for the 6BTA's, plenty for the a/c pump, but no dice on the genset. Then it struck me why the Jabsco impeller bubble pack (empty) was hanging on the pegboard in the shop here, with "5.5 KW" written on it with a marks-a-lot. Duhhhhhhhhh. . . Guess I brought it home to get some new impellers no telling how long ago and plumb forgot. Anyway, glad it happened last nite vs. next week on the way to the UVI. UV gotta have his a/c nap about noon offshore to make them cowardsly Blue Suits bite.

Me & the Bride took AJ for a hi-speed ride down the scenic Tickfaw River this morning for a shakedown cruise and (other than the genset) all is well. Amazing how having the props tuned up smooths her out. The water over there is pretty high from TS Arlene, and the white and blue herons were all over, as were the gators. Pretty morning for a boat ride.

See some of the Faithful on Sat. and the rest Sunday afternoon. We plan to leave Venice Marina about 2 or 3 Sunday afternoon and should be at PE about 3 or 4, and let the party begin.

UV "

"Picked up the usual 9 gal. of Shell Rotella T 15w40 for the Cummins and 3 qts. of Mobil One for the genset. Last year about $60, this week Pep Boys clipped my butt for $90. Ouch.

So me & Snow went over to the camp early Friday with a truck load of stuff. Pumped oil. Ran into a little problem with the stb. filter, would not come off, so after an hour of busted knuckles (and one dislocated knuckle) we figured out why - Dhhhhhhhhh - we were turning it the wrong way. Bonehead, I plead guilty.

Anyway, Snowman went back to town and the Bride came over and we had a nice party weekend. Shorts & T shirts, Yankees. Painted the engines yesterday, checked all the chafing gear on cables, hoses, etc and replaced a few. Shot Corrosion X liberally.

Noticed the dinette table was sort of wobbly and got to looking and the three oval head bolts that hold the side panel to the fiberglass coaming were all borken. After some head scratching, took the broken heads out and they were corroded in half just behind the head. Turns out they were ALUMINUM. Damn, who did that? No, as boneheaded as I can be 'twas not ole UV. An aluminum bolt in a stainless finishing washer with a stainless nut. Anyway, all nice & fixed with all stainless and some Tef Gel for good measure.

Bride made some crawfish & corn soup, cream based, yesterday while I went sac a lait fishing. Did good, but did all C&R so they still there. Went to a new produce outlet in Hammond, LA near the camp and fresh LA strawberries are down to $10 a flat, which is a helluva lot of berries. Some heavy cream and an assortment of their homemade picked stuff, from garlic (eat that by yourself of make sure everyone does) to pickled asparagus - lot better than it sounds.

So we had the neighbors on both sides over last nite for a good ole fashioned coonass feast. One neighbor brought a coconut creme pie and some "hat" bread from an Italian bakery. I never heard of 'hat' bread, but it is about 14" in diameter and open in the middle. Best stuff I ever ate. So the crawfish & corn soup was a hit, all of it was good, topped off with the pie and some fresh strawberries and cream.

We woke up this morning to heavy rain and just sat on the porch drinking coffee and munching cajun bacon til about noon, watching the blue herons, etc. do their thing. Bride commented "this is why we bought this place", and she sure is right.

UV "
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

happy birthday UV
miss you buddy
1968 hull # 316 - 757
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I wish I had been able to meet him, but it wasn't to be.

I have a partial can of Corrosion X I bought from him. When it goes empty it is going on a shelf in my shop.

"First you make a roux".
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

:)