Sneak Peek New Bertram 35 on Marlin magazine...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Sneak Peek New Bertram 35 on Marlin magazine...

Post by mike ohlstein »

I like that they are using a unique bow chock, even if it looks like a suitcase handle. At least it's a nice suitcase handle.

But couldn't they design an uglier windshield/window?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

mike ohlstein wrote:But couldn't they design an uglier windshield/window?
I would think that that's something that can be customized for a new build?!...
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Looks like a refined version of a Tropic Star Lodge windshield...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

As I understood it, that fiberglass windshield is simply a plug that will be replaced by all glass.

I may be in the minority here... but I'm not in total agreement that they've 'nailed' this 35. It will no doubt be more comfortable and faster than the original, but I think the bridge is too big and bubbly, making the boat look too much like a plastic toy- and the shear line doesn't have the same curvaceous sexiness as the 31' on which it's based. It's a bad-ass boat, and I admire the thought going into it, but I'd be surprised if it matches the production run of the original (we'll know in 25 years if I'm right!).

I'd rather have the new 35' than any big center console with which it may be competing.... but (to me)... it ain't a 31.
Max
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

No, it's no a 31, I agree with you. But let's wait till we see one in person. I am looking forward to seeing one at the boat shows. I think this is a great size. A little larger, roomier but not huge. They still kept a lot of retro stylings from the 31. It could be way worse; look at what Ford did with the Thunderbird. (sorry if anyone has one). And when Boston Whaler came out with their Anniversary 13' Whaler it had a blue interior, but missed the mark. You gotta hand it to these guys for putting themselves out on a limb. Buying a boat brand and re launching it does not sound like the easiest way to make your money back. I do think these guys are trying and doing the closest thing they can do for the purists with this boat, while adding some modern upgrades. I wish them great success.

I don't know what that bow chock is for. Hopefully for some purpose in manufacturing. They really should use the old traditional style we all have.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I do agree about the bow chock, but that is an easy change for them if they get a lot of grief over it. I think the original is a sexier design.

I know we are all prejudice when it comes to our 31's but I think they have done a nice job at least as far as the pictures show of blending hardcore fishing boat with family use. But lets reserve finale judgement for the finished product. And yes, if that is the windshield someone at Bertram has lost their mind along the way.

Now, they have a new facility in Tampa with Hull No. 8 to begin layup. I have to give them credit for selling 8 boats before the first one hit the water. At least the original 31 hull was tried and true tested in offshore racing so a buyer pretty much knew what he was getting. To buy a boat, that has not even hit the water takes a lot of courage. What if she turns out to be a dog. You just dropped lets say 7 large ones on something you will never sell or be happy with if you are stuck with it.

Bertram's new owner has a lot at stake but I think I would have splashed hull No 1. worked out the kinks just to be sure then let it sell itself.

But then who am I. Even if I could afford to $#@% away 7 large ones I would have a hard time buying this based on looks alone. Man it is not a picture you hang on the wall no matter how good it looks.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315