Repower B28 Questions

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Stephen Shadegg

Repower B28 Questions

Post by Stephen Shadegg »

We are re-powering a 1973, B28 with a pair of Crusader 5.7L MPI's. We are looking for anyone who has personal experiences or feedback with a similar project. ie: engine bed rot, shaft size/diameter and shaft tubes. We are also considering replacing rudder boxes and upgrading to larger rudders. The boat is located on the West coast and there are not as many owners/yards with Bertram experience here.

We will be ordering the engines in the next few weeks, so the more details the better.

Thanks for your help!

Steve
MarkD

Re: Repower B28 Questions

Post by MarkD »

Steve:

I think others with more knowledge will most likely chime in. My recollection is, the older B28's had a height restriction and the MPI's might be too tall. You might want to verify the fit before you order them. When I repowered my 1988 B28, we had to do some work on the stringers that carry the engine mounts. There was some rot in each side. Nothing too difficult to fix but it is an issue with these boats. I run 1.25 shafts and added the PSS dripless shafts which has been terrific. I opted for the carb'd engines at 215 HP which are performing well. Let me know if you would like any more details or info on my repower. Best of luck!

Mark
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Stephen,

Just out of curiosity, how much does a pair of gassers sell for in the usa ? New or used?
Also, what do you expect your hourly gas consumption in liters ( gallons) ?
I also have a 73 B28, with twin 240 yanmars.
Thanks.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Yannis:

I can speak for myself. I went with new vortec marine engines at 315 HP that came with almost everything except pullys, pumps, and fresh water cooling. I moved that stuff from my old inboards. The engines had new blocks, ignitions, intakes, carb, exhaust, etc. The engines cost (including the additional cost for counter rotation), was about $13,000 delivered. I had to move some things and make some minor tweaks (like electric fuel pumps, etc). I also had the gears rebuilt and the raw water pumps replaced etc. All in, I spent about $16K. I burn approx. 18-20 GPH and get about 21knots at 3100 rpm.
cmccool

Post by cmccool »

I repowered my 28 a few years ago - converted it from a flybridge to an express at the same time. Because I now run the boat while standing over top of the engines, I wanted to raise the engine covers for visibility so engine height was not an issue for me. I went with fuel injection and full Smartcraft (including cruise control) and have no regrets.

Had to replace the engine beds but that is very easy - bolt new ones to your stringers and then fibreglass them to the bulkheads fore and aft.

http://www.bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?p=42067

The above link shows some old photos of my conversion with the deck raised 4" to allow the engines to clear. The step down into the cabin is obviously a bit higher but it works ok. Just have to be careful to duck enough when going under the hatch as I am coming from a spot 4" higher. I am 6'2" and as long as I am not daydreaming, it is ok.

If you are salmon fishing - my setup is fantastic. I have since added canvas and windows to my top so I can stand under the top (out of the rain) and be 2 steps from my downriggers and rods.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Cliff
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you Mark.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Bill Fuller

Post by Bill Fuller »

Steve,

Send me an email. I am also in San Diego.
I may be able to help a bit. There actually quite a few B28s in San Diego.
I have a 1975 which was delivered with 351 Fords, was repower with 350 carbed Chevys in the early 80s and now has Yanmars.
As a start, there are at least 8 different deck configurations on these boats and you will almost certainly have the smallest one, I did.
Only 48 inches for/aft and relatively small step up.
You will almost certainly have to raise the engine hatches/deck to accommodate the MPI motors.
I can put you in touch with some one who has made this conversion.
Are you getting counter rotating motors? If not you will have to change the gears. Should probably change gears anyway.
Also, it's unlikely you have enough room to put in dripless shaft packings.
As others have noted, replacing the engine beds is not hard, but there are also other options.
Send me an email and then we can talk.
Bill