Potential Purchase of a 31 on Long Island

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

cariedl

Potential Purchase of a 31 on Long Island

Post by cariedl »

Hello all - my best friend Max (moguls2go) speaks very highly of this forum and the wealth of knowledge shared when he purchased his 31 last year. On his suggestion I am seeking any information about a 31 for sale in Kings Point NY from those of you who might know the vessel.

The boat is "Pisces" a 1973 Sport Fish model, she is currently out of the water and was used by the USMMA Sailing Foundation for cadet training. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1973/Be ... 2KzD1f_dBw I have talked to a number of people at the sailing foundation about the boat and more importantly I am very close to convincing my wife that we should do this now rather than wait. With two little ones and an already hectic life she is warming to the idea. We would use the boat as is, and make improvements as necessary, most important to me is getting out on the water (safely) with my girls and sharing similar experiences that I had as a kid growing up.

In addition to details on the boat I am seeking a recommendation on a surveyor who is familiar with 31 in the area and estimate of the cost associated with moving the boat from Kings Point to Port Clinton, OH where will keep her. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Charlie
neil

Re: Potential Purchase of a 31 on Long Island

Post by neil »

Not to burst your bubble but that price is way to high if you can get that for less then 20 k and hope both engines run,add in shipping and you will have a great boat that will serve your family well
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

I paid 20k for mine with fuel injected big blocks 900hrs glassed in front windows hard top outriggers and ac lots of deals out there
sillverchevy

Post by sillverchevy »

Hi, I've seen the boat three times in my Marina and at the dock. Boat looks better in the pics. I agree, the price is too high.
cariedl

Post by cariedl »

I should clarify, asking price is no where near where we are negotiating. Seller agrees that the price is much too high. Thanks for the reaponses thus far.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Charlie: You have the entire Great Lakes to find a clean, freshwater Bertram and run it home to Port Clinton. I have a 1985 28 which I bought in 2005 from the second owner at Sandusky YC. Original Mercruisers were low hours then and are still running strong. You should be able to find a very good boat for $15-$20k. I would take my time until one comes up closer to home. Good luck, Leigh
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Does it have the original gas tank?
scot

Post by scot »

I've never seen a 31 with small blocks? They are also raw water cooled. Not that this is a horrible thing, just not typically for a 30+ footer, marina boat. I have run raw water cooled engines for years without issue, but they should be flushed after every use. To me, the small blocks are an issue.. can't see the boat cruising much past 16-17kts?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Carl

Post by Carl »

scot wrote:I've never seen a 31 with small blocks? They are also raw water cooled. Not that this is a horrible thing, just not typically for a 30+ footer, marina boat. I have run raw water cooled engines for years without issue, but they should be flushed after every use. To me, the small blocks are an issue.. can't see the boat cruising much past 16-17kts?
Frayed Knot put 350's in his after the 440's. More room to work on motors and his numbers where good...real good, cruise, top end, economy.
He's not the only that has been on here to have/install small blocks with very pleasing results, do a search.
Last edited by Carl on Jun 17th, '16, 05:25, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Charlie,
There are some 31's on the Great Lakes that have been fresh water boats all their life, the one your looking at seams way high in price and has small blocks. I suggest you contact Steve Marinak in Florida he's on the board, he bought Duchess in the Detroit area, a nice boat that had gas engines (he ran it for a season before the switched over to Yanmars). I did the survey and it was a real clean boat with no corrosion and everything worked Bruce did the repower on the engines. He spends the summers in the Bahamas so it might take him a few days to get back to you. My advice is to keep looking in the lakes. Shipping costs from the East coast to the lakes will run you around $3.00 per foot per mile with all the wide load permits. I sold my totally redone 31' express for short dollars, the prices on 31's is way down from a few years ago.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Hard to believe the low prices now.
My advice would be to look at as many as you can. Make a spreadsheet on all of them. Add up future costs to do what you want later on.
For me personally, having one that was a super clean freshwater boat was justification to pay a little more than the roached out ones.
I was blown away at how clean a freshwater boat was when compared to a salt water boat. It was worth the flight to Michigan and the shipping.
Things can add up quickly, like paint, windows, interior, rotten wood, new hardware...and of course Engines.
But as Pete said, I ran my old gassers for a year or two, which allowed me time to get to know that boat and what I wanted out of the next phase.
I re-powered with Yanmars and put in new electroncs, and hydraulic steering. Aside from that I have not done any major cosmetic overhauls.
Everyone has their own goals and ideas of what their boat will end up like.
This one may fit your needs, if so, congrats and welcome to the sand box.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

If you would consider a Bahia Mar, take a look at Charlies. He is on Long Island and has been converted to Diesels. Still have the shipping problems.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

I say you buy Charlies Current Affair, drive it up the Hudson, through lake champlain, through the northern NY canal system into the St. Lawrence seaway and river and into the lakes. Much better than sticking it on a trailer!!!! What a cool ride!!! Lifetime memories!!!
Bo Toepfer

Post by Bo Toepfer »

being is how I am looking for a fixer upper,, what is the right price,, I know as low as one can get ,, but in terms of true value,, what is she worth?
Southern Maryland
Keep seeking the treasure!
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Bo Toepfer wrote:being is how I am looking for a fixer upper,, what is the right price,, I know as low as one can get ,, but in terms of true value,, what is she worth?
The value is MOSTLY in the iron... What engines does she have and what's their condition?!...

So I went and had a look at the listing... She has fresh water cooled Mercruisers... Any idea about the hours?!... Have you done a compression test?!... The exhaust manifolds look quite rusty... Any documentation as to when they were put in?!...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bo

She is way under powered and is carrying a lot of stern weight. If correct 260 gallons when the biggest tank Bertram ever put in was 230 gallons and she has a teak deck.

260 is what you need for Canyon fishing, if you put in diesels then 260 is sweet.

She does not have a stand up head which would be a problem for the female guests.

I would start at 12 and not go over 20 and I think 20 is on the high side.

By the way if you buy her, if nothing else clean up the wiring on the battery's.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315