Marly

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Marly

Post by Dug »

Those of you who have known me for a bit know I have a dog that means a lot to me. I remember coming on the board 8 years ago and talking about how excited I was to be fortunate enough to have her in my life as a new little pup.

Last week I discovered a lump in her throat, which the vet suspects may be a blocked saliva gland. If this is the case, it will be a surgical solution. In and of itself, that is worrisome, but not an end of the line situation if in fact it turns out to be this diagnosis. She will be going in for a surgical consult early this coming week with Tufts veterinary hospital which is one of the better ones in the northeast.

However yesterday afternoon she seemed to lose the ability to control her urine flow and is wetting most everything. She is mentally 100% with it and not in any discomfort at all. She has been on antibiotics for the lump so it is unlikely we are looking at a simple solution such as a UTI.

I guess what I am asking is this. I know we all go. And dogs are not forever either. But she is only 8. I hate to have to face that it may be time yet. So think of her a bit, and if you are compelled shoot her a prayer. She could use it. She is a really good dog. My local vet put it perfectly this afternoon, "She is too sweet and too young". I appreciate it my friends...

Dug
Navatech

Re: Marly

Post by Navatech »

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed... For the both of you...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Dug,

I spent most of my professional life doing petfoods. Cat and dog, wet and dry. I've organized countless veterinary seminars, been to dozens of pet related activities, known all vets names by heart...
I had a white lab that I lost in 2009, after 13 years. He'd be the best being I ever met. Better than most humans I know...
I decided that I will never have a dog again. The pain is unbearable.
Good luck with yours. I hope all these problems get resolved in the best possible way.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Dug, life is always a variable, except for our dogs. Best friends through many troubles Always there for a smooch on the back of the head. That was my Sophie. Sweet Sophie. Best of luck, are thoughts are with you and your pup. Bill
Bill
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Sorry to hear Dug. Prayers your way. Best of luck
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Knowing when to say when for our 4 legged best friends is probably the hardest, but one of the most important things we can and must do. While you may think Marly is extremely special to you, remember - you are her everything. Our job is to make sure they have the best quality of life possible. And when the tail stops wagging and they are ready, we have to help them be comfortable.

But until that time arrives, we must do everything we can to keep the tail wagging, be there for them, keep life as normal for them as possible, shower them with the love that they give back to us ten-fold.

People without dogs in their lives may not understand completely that they are members of the family, often as close to us as kids - only they complain less, and always there for us, and provide us with unconditional love.

It sounds like you're doing everything the right way, and kudos to you. While it's never easy supporting an ailing pup, use your best judgement and be with her as much as you can - it doesn't get any better than that.

Next week I'll actually be getting my "new" 1964 Bertram 31 out of a yard in MA, and one of the projects before launching will be to get her new name on her - "DALMATIAN" - named after the breed of my best 4 legged friends. I get it, and you are doing great. Thoughts are with Marly for a speedy recovery.

Bob
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Carl

Post by Carl »

Dug, Best hopes and prayers to Marley and you.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Dug: I am praying for both of you. Good luck and keep us posted. Rawleigh
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

Thanks guys. The kind words and thoughts mean more than you know. As of this morning she seems not to be dripping any longer and is dry. I am pleased as heck with that of course and am hoping it stays this way. We have been truly puzzled about what was driving that situation. Secondarily she has an appointment at Tufts next Tuesday the 24th to begin to evaluate the neck lump in more detail. If anything changes we can always take her into the urgent care part of Tufts. Right now she is totally comfortable, completely with it, and seems not to know that anything is going on at all, other than climbing into my lap at the vet each time. LOL!

The relationship between man and dog is a remarkable one. You guys all nailed it right on the head. I think the saying that you should try to be the person your dog thinks you are is absolutely accurate. She just looks at me and wags the tail. Life is all good when that happens.

I think Thudd was also the first to give me the other good and accurate statement about dogs. You can put your wife, kids and dog in the trunk of your car and go off-roading for a bit. When you open the trunk, which one will still love you without question and be happy to see you. You know the answer.

Marly has ridden shotgun on Alchemy for years. When she was little, the bench on the bridge was our chair and she was always perked up enjoying the breeze, head whipping in every direction probing the wind for smells and sights. She loves to swim, romp and relax on that boat. She is as at home on board Alchemy as anyone! Often more so than many. Now that she is full grown, there is not much room on that bench for me up there, but we work it out. She sprawls out taking the full width, and I sit in front of her with her front legs on one side of me and her back legs on the other. She is comfortable and it keeps her from sliding off when the boat rocks. The last ride either of us took on the boat was when we brought the boat up to Newport so Brewer Street Boatworks could dig in. It was a shitty day. It was blowing 25 plus and the ride was sporty to say the least. Thank god it was a following sea. And Marly was up on the bridge with me the whole ride, as relaxed as ever. I think that most picture labs and Portuguese waterdogs as boat dogs, but I gotta tell you that this German Shepherd is as much of a boat dog as I have EVER seen. She loves it. And she never batted an eye even as the spray hit the curtains in sheets and the engines wailed. I want her to see the new Alchemy and at least have a few more rides! We both need that since we didn't get one ride at all last summer due to the newborn.

Thanks again guys. It means a lot. And Bob, Dalmatian will be awesome!

Dug
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Dug-
Our thoughts are with you and Marly. You have the best care at Tufts and I'm glad to hear about this morning progress. Do give us more good news on the 24th.
Kind regards,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
John Nardi

Post by John Nardi »

Hey Dug...Sorry to hear about Marley, but taking her to a great Vet Academic Center is Key...I lost my 6 year old American Bull Dog Mia last year and really miss that special soul...Prayers produce miracles and lots of good Karma...You're covered here...Good Luck
Dug

Post by Dug »

Thank you all for your positive thoughts. It appears that they have helped.

As of right now, I do not feel the lump in her throat at all. And her leaking urine has stopped at this point as well. With no intervention yet.

I am going to follow through with her appointment at Tufts tomorrow, but half expect them not to find anything...

So my fingers are crossed! Thank you everyone for your thoughts and communications. Its meant a lot. Truly.

Dug
LesBrown

Post by LesBrown »

Hey Dug, one of my rescue dogs, Jaz, had a similar problem with leaking urine when she was laying down. She would not know that it was happening until she would get up, vet told me it happens in large breed dogs that have been spayed. There are pills that can help with it, man i still miss that girl. Good luck tomorrow at the vet. Jaz was a German Shot Hair. LB
Carl

Post by Carl »

I love good news...it will be even better when vet confirm it with vet.
Last edited by Carl on May 24th, '16, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Good luck today Dug!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

I just got back to the office from Tufts.

Marly has a clean bill of health! (of course we will monitor to watch for a return). I have no idea what happened, but I'll take it!

So it looks as though she will be riding high on the bridge of Alchemy soon enough, as I was given a tentative launch date of June 6-10!

So happy and relieved.

Dug
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Congrats!! I like a happy ending.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Dug...

Great news!

Buy the girl some nice dog treats!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Dug,
Great News about Marly, She will be happy on the fly Bridge for this up coming summer and many more seasons to come.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

YEAAAAAAA!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

That is great news. You are an awesome best friend to her, keep it up. Best wishes for a launch on time.
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Good to hear that she's fine...

Dogs and kids - unconditional love... <thumbsup>
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

Glad to hear she is well. The miracles of life, something we will never figure out. Which is probably a good thing.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Dug,

Dogs live a "faster" life than humans.

A german shepherd, a lab, all similar size dogs, live up to 10-15 years. There are exceptions, but that's nature's rule. The bigger the dog size, the less it lives; e.g. chihuahuas can live up to 20 years, while saint bernards or great danes rarely live over 10-11.
So, all dogs' illnesses progress faster, as compared to humans. From a perfectly healthy - big size dog, to a sick one, there is usually only a few months interval.

Kidneys are one of dog's weak points. Trying to repair other health issues, one may administer some pet (or human) medicine to their dog. Although this or that medicine may have very positive effects on the dog's illness, it may also act detrimentally to its kidneys. And since, as we said before, everything goes faster in a dog's life, what may eventually happen is that by the time the dog is cured from its illness thanks to this or that medicine, it might also suffer a simultaneous kidney failure. By the time you realize what happened it's usually a bit late to change the course of things...

You may wish to consider this parameter while following your vet's instructions on your dog's healing.
Good luck. Enjoy your trips with Marly!

PS: Dogs that live in a salty environment... already put their kidneys to the test. They lick the salt off their coat - salt is NOT a dog kidney friend.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Great news Dug..I had two Newfoundlands the male was Duncan...a very special dog..a connection like u share w Marly..I hear you...you both need to go for a ride in Alchemy...post that pic for sure.BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?